Author Topic: Old Video Games You Love  (Read 4779 times)

TheTick

• Baron Administrator
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Honk if you Love Justice!
Re: Old Video Games You Love
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
That's nostalgia talking.  I'll grant that FF7 was a milestone product, and made excellent use of FMV when it was new (for consoles, at any rate).  It just doesn't hold up.  I have it but feel no desire to play it again, ever.  Whereas I LOVE playing 6 and 4 and make a point of getting back into them at least once a year.  The actual gameplay is a lot more fun in 6, even if it's sprites and not horribly pixelated polygons.

Though a true remake of FF7, with modern-looking characters but that story might work well now.  It's not like people haven't been asking for that for a decade or anything.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

El Seed

• High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »
I remember a friend of mine playing one of the FF games on his PS1. When he went to the bathroom, he put a deck of cards on the action button. It would just go through a battle without any decisions whatsoever.

But it was pretty, at least.
First: Never stand in back of a cow!

TheTick

• Baron Administrator
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »
Some people felt you needed to grind levels in some, which may have been what he was doing.  I never encountered that in FF6.  I think in the first playthrough, I stumble around enough to gain just the right amount of levels.  And since I'm a completist, the act of scouring every dungeon and town for loot covers the rest.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Sputnik314

• ADaSK
  • Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
Why hasen't anyone mentioned metal slug yet? It's beast!

TheTick

• Baron Administrator
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
Never played any games in that series...by the time those were coming out, I didn't go to arcades any more (hated feeding in all the quarters), didn't have a Neo-Geo, and skipped the Sega and original Playstation.

SteveRogers

• ADaSK
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 08:12:58 AM »
The original Playstation was my first game system.  I did get a Gameboy Color around then sometime too I think, and I still use it sometimes to play older Pokemon or Zelda games.  I discovered the other day when I tried to trade a Pokemon from Yellow to Red, however, that I've misplaced my Gameboy Link Cable.  *hangs head*   :'(

TheTick

• Baron Administrator
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
Technically, the Atari 2600 was my brother's, my first gaming system was a NES.  Played plenty of games on the various computers we had, though, starting with the VIC20, C64/128, TRS-80 and so on.  My grandfather used to by junk at auctions, and he found a bunch of old gaming consoles we played at their house, like Intellivision, Colecovision, stuff from that era.  Had an original black and white GameBoy, but never ended up getting a new portable system until the DS Lite.  Which I've misplaced. :(

Lotofsnow

• ADaSK
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
First game I ever beat was Street Fighting Man on a Tandy 1000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o71UHYiQqs Such a bitchin' soundtrack and overt racism.

2nd game was probably The Black Cauldron on the same system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1YEC5gyzbE

3rd? The amazing, irreplaceable, Defender of the Crown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMr2z_GNzKM The modern version does it no justice.

Then came the game where the name Lot was born. My first true RPG, Hero's Quest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDe04HSP_4 I loved that game. Still do. So epic. I had hand-drawn maps of where each screen was. I still hum the theme and it has been like 20 years. Seriously, play it.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:22:22 PM by Lotofsnow »

TheTick

• Baron Administrator
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
Hmm, first game I finished...tough to say, as many early games just went on and on and had scores.  We played the early text adventures (Scott Adams, not the Dilbert guy) mostly as a group so I can't count those as mine alone.  Never did finish Impossible Mission on the C64, though I think my brother did.  Contra, on the NES, might be the first I did by myself.

First RPGs...Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.  I was one of the ones who got DW free with Nintendo Power.  Definitely finished FF, DW I got pretty far in but lost interest.  Destiny of an Emperor was another NES RPG I finished, still love that.  Heck, love that setting, as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is one of my favorites.

Lotofsnow

• ADaSK
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
My best friend in kindergarten through 2nd grade got Dragon Warrior at some point during that period. I remember watching him play.

TheTick

• Baron Administrator
  • High Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
Dragon Warrior, the game that taught me how to grind.  A Slime approaches!

Sputnik314

• ADaSK
  • Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
What about the game Pacman?  That game was one of the most popular.