Honk if you Love Justice!

Forum Games => Crypt of the Everflame => Topic started by: TheTick on January 22, 2018, 08:12:10 AM

Title: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on January 22, 2018, 08:12:10 AM
The town square of Kassen is unusually quiet as the four chosen to retrieve the flame gather.  High, wispy clouds and a strong wind blowing leaves over the rough stone under your boots are the first signs that summer is giving way to fall.  The noon bells from the temple will be ringing soon, to bring the town forth to begin the ritual.

Go ahead and talk among yourselves.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 22, 2018, 10:31:52 AM
Kirdo was grateful that there was some time left before the ritual formally began. It meant that he could take time making up for lost time-when he woke that morning, a new idea had appeared in his mind for a possible mutagen and wouldn't leave until he'd worked on it. Which meant that he hadn't prepared the various extracts he typically created each day, and although no one expected any real danger it was best to be prepared. So the gnome sat atop his placid pony, Hauler, who remained surprisingly still showing a sign of his good training. A small, portable table stretched from Kirdo's belly to the pony's lower neck, and made a suitable workspace for simple creations such as these. He said quietly, murmuring to himself over one vial and then another, and a few small pouches, before he secured the extracts to his belt carefully. Soon enough he stowed his equipment and looked up at the sky, judging that he hadn't gotten carried away again.

That meant that there was still time for something less pleasant than working on his alchemy-social interaction with strangers. Or almost strangers-he knew Sandy a bit, had worked with the young man and was known to many in Kassen for the time he'd spent passing through the small settlement this past year. But aside from the Silvers, with whom he had a friendly working relationship, he knew almost no one in Kassen well. But there was one member of the group that would be best spoken with, he reasoned, eying the elf? half elf? Kirdo sometimes had difficulty telling at a glance, who he'd been told was a ranger. He had respect for that sort, for their skills in the wilderness, something at which he was still a novice.

"Do you," he coughed and cleared his throat. Too much time mumbling to himself. "Good morning, Mr. Dariel," Kirdo said politely. "Do you know anything of this crypt or its surroundings? From what the Silvers have had to say, I've never been to those parts before."

OOC: When I get home I'll need to make some changes to my character sheet-found a redundancy in my extracts. As for what Kirdo is cooking, he still has a mutagen for constitution, those don't expire. And then he gets 2 extracts/day of which one is a Cure Light Wounds extract and the other is a Targeted Bomb Admixture.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 22, 2018, 12:02:03 PM
"You was never fit for a tailor, All-Saints," Da says.  He coughs, bends low over the fine suit he was putting seams into.  "Knowed it soon as you was old enough to wear long pants.  You got too much of your Ma in your blood, boy.  They chose her to run up to the Everflame, too, you know."

"Aye, Da, you told me." 

"She'd be proud of you.  Man can't do better than that, to have the pride of a good woman."

Off in the kitchen, Sandy hears Zalia, his stepmother, snort.  She doesn’t say anything this time, though— he hears her settle heavily into a chair.  A moment later, he hears the clack and click of her knitting needles and the shuffle of wool yarn being turned into a blanket for his step-brother-to-be.

“Still,” Da says, “it’s a mite silly this whole thing.”

“Eh,” Sandy says, and prepares himself for another lecture.

“No disrespect to your mother, but she always went in for this…sort of romantic flimmflam.  I says to her one day— afore she were chosen ‘course— ‘Ygraine,’ says I, ‘Ygraine, this ritual ain’t nought but foolishness.  Nought but the aldermen trying to fool the young into steadying straight, same as always been done in Kessan.  There’re no gods being prayed at; no offerings given.  Now the gods, them I understand!  Gimme a god and an altar and a cleric, and I’ll pray you a prayer to stand you up!  But this…this is just a foolish walk in the woods to the name of some old soldier man who ain’t never been divine.

“Lo and swear, she jus’ ’bout knocked my head right off my shoulders!” Da cackles.  “Hmmm.  Hmmm.  ’Spect that’s why they chose her.  Keep the rest of the runners in line.  She was good, your mother.  Silly, as I said.  Sometimes.  No disrespect.”

Sandy nods.  He’s two feet from the door.  Two feet and he’d be out and on his way to adulthood. Maybe a day, maybe two…he’d be able to sign his own contracts, make his own deals.  Sandy clears his throat.  “‘Bout time, Da.  I got to run.”

“Kiss your stepmother and your baby brother.  For luck,” Da says.  “‘Spect you believe in that sort of thing.  Your mother’s son, you are.”

“‘Bye, Zalia,” Sandy says.  She waves him away.  No kiss.

Da doesn’t notice, still muttering to himself over the fine suit.

##

Sandy walks the cat road— a line of rooftops running parallel to the street leading to the square in Kassen.  The high facades of the buildings fronting the street hid him from the view of anyone walking below.  Perfect place for someone who could step quiet and agile to make it from one end of Kassen to the other in a short amount of time.  There were a few gaps to be leapt, a few loose slates to avoid, but Sandy had been picking his way over the cat road for ages now.  He hardly had to think about it.

Instead, he thinks on the road to the Everflame, and Kassen’s tomb.  And he thinks beyond that, so his thoughts range wide across the world. 

One day.  Maybe two.

He reaches the end of the cat road before he reaches the end of his thoughts, and reluctantly pulls himself from them to take stock of who’s gathered in the square.  Kirdo, of course— Sandy grins.  It’d be good to work with the gnome for something that wasn’t gold or lumberjack related.  Maybe he could ferret out some of the alchemist’s secrets.   There’s also a half-elf in leather armor, with a couple short swords at his hip, and a longbow on his back.  Sandy doesn’t know his name, but the woman in scale mail armor with the shield and bristling with weapons looks vaguely familiar. 

“You look prepared,” Sandy says to her, as he swings down from the roof.  “Glad you’re on our team.  I’m Sandy Tippenroe.”
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 22, 2018, 03:00:18 PM
The girl stands tiptoe upon the third rail of the stable gate. She stretches as tall as possible, her hands braced against the top rail for support. The additional elevation grants a better view of the town square down the street where the party leaving to light the Everflame is expected to gather. The way the girl perches with her long, black hair flying out from her head in the strong wind reminds Maura Zita of a painting of a similar looking bird in the library in Skelt. Some sort of sea-crow, she recalls.

Maura follows the crow-girl's gaze to the square. It seems empty except for the the dust and leaves kicked up by the gusting wind. A quick glance at the sun assures her that she is only slightly early. A figment of doubt begins to rush into her thoughts, but she swiftly dismisses it. Perhaps there is some event prior to the ceremony of which she is unaware. It has been several years since she last walked these streets.

With a silver piece thrown in as incentive, Maura leaves her mule with the crow-girl who also happens to be the stable girl. At first resistant to Maura's quest for feed and a quick but firm brushing (because there is more interesting things to watch and that the amount of care requested was for something as silly as a pack mule), the girl became more interested with the exchange of silver and after catching a peak at the sword and sun on a silver chain hanging from Maura's neck.

The girl is younger than Maura's brother had been, though the age gap could not be significant. In a one or two summers, she would be walking the same steps Maura is, the same steps Ikram would never walk. That realization was the hardest part about this whole endeavor. This year was supposed to be Ikram's year to take the journey to light the Flame. The only reason Maura is even here is because he could not make the trip. He would never travel anywhere again, his final journey having been to the embrace of the gods.

It was a difficult homecoming, Maura considers as she makes her way toward the square, if it could even be called a homecoming. Sure, she lived most of her life in Kassen, but her childhood home is now burnt rubble. Her father is dead. Her brother is dead. Her mother curses at her from where she lies in bed at a friend's home, too injured to stand. Is this even a homecoming anymore?

Maura pauses a moment to collect her thoughts and focus instead on the journey ahead, leaving the past to the past.

"You look prepared!"

The mockery comes from above, tearing Maura from her reverie. All at once, she finds her self both frustrated and angry. She just traveled a week on foot to visit her dead father, visit her dead brother, and find out that she's dead to her own mother. So, no she did not have time to take a bath or polish her mail or kick all the waste from her boots...

The young man smiles at her as he lands. There was something of a youthful cunning in his face, but nothing mocking. Based on his age, he was likely joining on the journey, Maura decided, keenly aware that she will likely be the eldest of the party.

"I'm glad you're on our team. I’m Sandy Tippenroe."

Maura manages a smile back. She hopes it sufficiently hides the mishmash of thoughts colliding in her brain.

"Tippenroe? I am Maura. Maura Zita." It takes only a moment for her thoughts to click,"Tippenroe... you worked a short time on my father's farm five summers back? You were about my brother, Ikram's, age. Your father thought you might take to farming. Did you?"
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 22, 2018, 03:37:18 PM
Quote
"Tippenroe... you worked a short time on my father's farm five summers back? You were about my brother, Ikram's, age. Your father thought you might take to farming. Did you?"

Sandy scratches his nose. "Ikram, Ikram....hm.  Oh, I think I remember!  There's an old ruin on your property, right?  A broken-down stone wall and a tall chimney?  We used to call that the Icehold Tower because no matter how hot it got during the summer, there was always one corner of the chimney that somehow kept ice in it.  Your da kept threatening to tear it down because Ikram would skiv off to go hide in it."

There was something he was forgetting.  Something that tickled the back of his brain but wouldn't quite flick to the front.  "I'm afraid farming and I didn't agree," Sandy says.  "A bit too much like work."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 22, 2018, 03:49:09 PM
Maura could not hold in a laugh. It felt good to laugh thinking of her father storming in after checking up on afternoon chores, stomping and fuming, "Where has that boy run off to now?" when he knew darn well where that boy "run off to."

"I think the tower was safe as long as Ikram used it as a hideout. That way, at least father had a place to start looking when the chores were not getting done. Without the tower, who could say what trouble he might have encountered?"
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 22, 2018, 10:09:49 PM
Dariel felt uncomfortable... Despite the time he had spent in Kassen, he couldn't get use to the amount of people that were bustling about on any given day, so many that he had a hard time avoiding what he hated the most: talking awkwardly to strangers.

He was so preoccupied in looking at the people wandering about that he almost didn't even notice Kirdo speaking to him.

"No..." he turned to see the group had become larger, and he wasn't sure exactly who was addressing him.

"I apologize..." he said to the group, not remembering any of their names, his eyes still darting at any other person that walked by. The group seemed to be talking more than he was use to.

"I am Dariel," he continued, not addressing any one person. "I'm unfamiliar with that region, but I'll find where it is we must go. I trust you all can keep up."

Spoiler
Do I know the region?
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 23, 2018, 06:43:32 AM
Sandy decides he likes Maura’s laugh.  He laughs along with her.  And doesn’t mention that the chores DID get done even though Ikram hadn’t been the one doing them.  The itch that scrapes the back of his brain is still there— the something he should be seeing that isn’t quite materializing. 

"What have you been up to since then?" Sandy asks. “I didn’t take to farming, but I learned enough to know that scale mail and swords don’t grow from the ground.”
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 23, 2018, 06:58:57 AM
Maura shakes her head.

"No, farming did not appeal to me either. Four years ago last spring, I joined the temple of Iomedae in Skelt, much to my father and mother's dismay. It is where I belong. It is where I should be..."

She trails off. Over Sandy's shoulder, she sees that others have arrived at the square. Motioning toward them she says:

"It looks like our party members are gathering. We should join them."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 23, 2018, 07:37:54 AM
Sandy eases over with the rest of the group, giving Kirdo a nod and a grin.  The half-elf was saying something about not knowing where anything was, but being able to find out.

If it's applicable:
Knowledge Local-- +5 1d20+5 : 8 + 5, total 13
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 23, 2018, 08:53:46 AM
There was a pang of disappointment at Dariel’s reply, not in the half elf but rather that a possible source of information, however minor and easily remedied, didn’t pan out. Kirdo experienced such minor frustrations of simply not knowing so often that it almost didn’t register in his mind, and further was used to misstepping and making new people unsettled or wary. But he knew that this ignorance would only be temporary, and that swiftly rebounded his mood in the gnomish way back to a sort of default semi-mania.

He hopped down off of Hauler with a careful motion, and patted his flank fondly. ‘We can keep up’, he knew. He the moved to more familiar ground, approaching Sandy and...Maura, surely, even a gnome could recognize such a well armed figure in this town by sight. “Good morning, Ms. Maura,” he said, carefully polite in his way with new people. “Sandy,” he smiled with more familiarity, but with some distraction. He was gathering his thoughts and considering his travels through the area, and stories he had heard.

OOC: Knowledge: Local +3
Rolled 1d20+3 : 1 + 3, total 4


Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 23, 2018, 01:29:17 PM
"If Kirdo and his swayback mule can manage to keep up with you, I suppose I can, too," Sandy says.  "But expect a lot of complaining."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 23, 2018, 01:38:09 PM
“Hmph,” Kirdo grunted. Anyone who knew the gnome long knew the pride and attention he lavished on Hauler, and if Kirdo didn’t know Sandy a bit ill-feeling might have taken root at such a remark. “We’ll see what Hauler hauls for you next you’ve a need, All-Saints,” he replied with a sniff.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on January 23, 2018, 01:45:37 PM
Before Sandy can respond, the bells atop the Temple of Erastil begin tolling their midday song, echoing throughout the quiet town of Kassen. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd as it slowly parts to let Mayor Uptal through. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

Once he reaches the center of the crowd, Mayor Uptal stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk. “Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in our shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was one hundred and seventy-four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen’s tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?”
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 23, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
The towns turns out to the tolling of bells and dressed in black, with faces downcast, and Mayor Uptal moaning on and on about snakes and wolves.  For a moment, Sandy feels a tingling desire in his belly to laugh.  For just an instant, it's just like Da said: a silly dance, based on nothing but fear and tradition, and no god in all creation could blame him for poking fun.

The instant passes.  These are the people he loves, after all.  These steps, the pomp, ceremony...the ritual of it-- they're important to them.  And so they're important to him, even if he laughs at them.  Just a little bit. 

"Here I am," Sandy says and steps forward.  "All-Saints Tippenroe."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 23, 2018, 02:39:58 PM
It wasn’t much to him, really, not personally. Like many gnomes, Kirdo didn’t have much in the way of roots. But the mayor was a good public speaker, and in spite of the knowing grins exhanged by some of the townsfolk over the whole affair, Uptal either respected the ritual well or faked it convincingly. Further, as best as he could tell, the story of Kassen was largely true, and Kirdo wasn’t such a cynic that a story of heroism couldn’t make him stand a bit straighter.

With some hesitation more to do with anxiety over the real beginning of his latest business plan than over speaking publicly, Kirdo took a small step as well. “Kirdo Dunritty of the Dunritty Rovers,” he said in his high voice. Dunrittys had been moving through the surrounding regions in small numbers for centuries. “Here’s to a warm winter and warm bellies to go with it,” he added which for a ritual to retrieve flame was well enough. And only an indirect reference to his own ends.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 24, 2018, 12:08:28 AM
Dariel could have done without the attention.

"Dariel... Scout... I will ensure your flame is found and returned."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 24, 2018, 10:03:59 AM
Maura steps forward, hand raised in a blessing of Iomedae.

"I, Maura Zita, undertake this journey in the honor and memory of my brother, Ikram Zita."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 24, 2018, 10:29:53 AM
Quote
”…in memory of my brother, Ikram Zita.”

Sandy starts, and feels heat rush to his face.  He hadn’t known.  Or he had but had forgotten.  He casts a quick look at Maura, then subtly makes the sign of the god of travel behind his back, in honor of Ikram’s journey beyond.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on January 24, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
Mayor Uptal listens to each youth speak, and nods to them as they finish.  Facing the crowd, he raises the lamp and now addresses them.  "This is the lamp which carries the flame.  For many years have we performed this task, honoring our founder, Ekat Kassen, and town has prospered."  Turning back to you, Mayor Uptal presents the lamp.  "Who will bear the lamp to Kassen's tomb and return it here safely?"
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 24, 2018, 01:21:17 PM
Maura steps forward.

"Iomedae teaches that the struggle against darkness is a burden best shared among the righteous. In order to complete our journey, each of us must bear our personal burdens in addition to the weight of the task laid before us today. While to carry light into the darkness seems a happy burden, we are taught that those that bring light to the dark are often the target of any jealous evils the darkness might shroud.

"With that in mind, each of my gallant companions will doubtless add the burden of the light to their own before the journey is done. Strangers though we are right now, through sharing the burden of the light, we will forge a bond. Our example of community, as well as the light we bring together, will keep the village safe through winter.

"I offer to carry this burden for a time, but only with the faith that I will not carry it alone."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 24, 2018, 01:26:59 PM
When Maura takes the lantern, Sandy slides shoulder-to-shoulder with her— well, almost, because he’s a bit shorter than her- and lightly places a hand beneath the arm holding the lantern.

His smile says everything he needs to say.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 24, 2018, 02:06:25 PM
Kirdo’s eyebrows raise just slightly-Maura and Sandy, it seems, don’t have the faintly amused attitude with respect to this ritual that some in the town did. He wasn’t sure if that boded well for an enjoyable few days or a more somber affair, but either way he would see new places and partake in a small way with the broader history of the region, which was pleasant to contemplate.

That wasn’t the same as being enthusiastic, however, nor of injecting himself into what seemed like something personal for the formidable priestess...preacher...sage...human religious titles didn’t come easily to Kirdo-there were so many-but he stood where he was and tried to look suitably uplifting and helpful.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on January 24, 2018, 02:42:21 PM
After the lantern exchange is done, Uptal hands each of you a backpack with supplies for the journey. He once again speaks to the townsfolk. “I present to you the brave heroes who will follow in Kassen’s footsteps to retrieve the Everflame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire.” With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen’s tomb. The townsfolk begin waving goodbye with cold, solemn looks on most of their faces.

OOC
Each backpack contains 5 days’ worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, and a piece of the Trail Map.  Split between them also:  50 feet of hempen rope, a box containing tinder and three tindertwigs, a labeled potion of cure light wounds, three torches, a grappling hook, and a small bottle of local brandy.

Any of you who specified mentors in town, they hang back for a moment in case you want a final chat before you leave.  You also notice that Cygar, a human renting a room at the Seven Silvers for the past few months, was watching all of you with interest.  He clears out with the rest of the cloud.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 24, 2018, 05:15:31 PM
For all that Kirdo had ventured alone into the wider world many times, though not nearly as often the wilderness per se, there was something a bit sobering about being one-quarter the focus of so many faces, the people of Kassen whether a question of getting into the spirit of things or not, looking almost grim. But he didn't take it to heart, taking the supplies from the mayor with a nod and carrying his gear over to Hauler to begin stowing it. It was a small thing, but as a gnome Kirdo couldn't carry much, not without a swig of something special, so there was an added pleasure to be light on his feet and yet still have plenty of...stuff, really, still in his possession.

Once that was done, and if there were no other draws on his attention, he made his way to the Silvers to say his farewells to the two he knew best in Kassen, and also for a slightly anxious reminder to the innkeeper to leave the stoppered barrels and the small keg alone, he was a brewer and an alchemist, not a magician, and they would be ready when they would be ready.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 25, 2018, 07:35:11 AM
Jimes looks...uncharacteristically preoccupied.  "Be careful, Tippenroe."

Sandy sets his backpack down on the ground and begins rearranging the contents. Whoever had packed it had put the trail bread underneath everything. "Hmm?"

"Got a feeling is all."

"'A feeling.'"

"Yeah.  Storm sense, whatever.  Something's off.  Be careful."

Sandy eyes the halfling.  "You're as bad as Jendo Talkington.  He told me that they sacrifice the youngest member of the group every year, and that's why everyone wears black."

"Talkington believes his mother is a centaur.  I am telling you...be careful."

"Worry-wort."

"You make me a lot of money.  Hate to see you in some goblin's pot."

"Well, if you do, come rescue me."  Sandy laces the ties to his pack and shoulders it.  He pats himself down to make sure he hasn't forgotten his tools, his daggers, the little crossbow Da had given him.  "It's going to be fine."

"Hmph." Jimes looks to where the others are gathering, then back to Sandy.  "Well?  You going to go?  Or you want a goodbye kiss?"

"And make your goats jealous?  See you in a couple days, Short Change."

Sandy saunters away.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 25, 2018, 08:00:21 AM
Maura lifts her backpack, appreciative of its weight. It seems they did not skimp on the supplies, she thinks, impressed. Seeing Sandy go through the contents of his bag, she checks her own for a map. Finding it, she stuffs into a pouch on her belt.

Slinging the bag over her shoulder, lamp in the opposite hand, she retraces her steps to the stable. Impressed again, she finds her mule well brushed, repacked, and waiting by the gate. The stable girl looks at Maura jealously until her eyes fall upon the lamp in her hand. The girl's grey-eyed gaze shifts from jealously, to wonder, and settles on steely resolve.

With practiced ease, Maura lashes the backpack to the packsaddle, shifting a few things out and into other saddlebags to make sure everything remained balanced. Then, she unties the cloak that, until this point, had kept the wind from slipping into the various gaps in her armor like a team of assassins. Finally, after stuffing the cloak into a leather bag in the pack, Maura removes a spear from the trio tied across the saddle.

Maura takes the mule's lead from the stable girl using the hand that holds the lamp. She catches a slight flinch in the girl as the lamp accidentally brushes her hand.

"Your time will come," Maura says. She hands the girl the spear. "Here. Until then, practice with this."

With the fall sun glinting off the scales of her armor, Maura turns her back on the stable and leads her mule to the town square, lamp cradled against her side.

"I am ready to depart once we all are."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 25, 2018, 08:19:29 AM
There was nearly a fight with Asina Silvers, who had a much more important matter to discuss than fermentation: the injustice of an apathetic gnome getting to participate when she, only two summers younger than Tippenroe, hadn’t even been allowed to offer. “You don’t care about the Everflame, and you’re only even in Kassen a week or so a month!” Trelvar wisely kept out of it, knowing that his daughter wasn’t truly invested in this specifically, and also having heard plenty of grousing already.

A sharp look from Kirdo took some of the budding insolence from Asina’s tone. It was easy for the larger races, especially when young, to default to an attitude of superiority as of adults speaking to children. “It’s going to be mostly camping in the woods, Ms. Silver,” he said in a tone that invited her to similar courtesy. “And we both know how much you love that,” he said with a smirk. “But if you want to go mucking about in dead leaves looking for new materials with me, perhaps your father would relent.”

Asina shuddered, and looked a little cross at this manipulation, but also a little amused. “Fine, fine!” she said, throwing up her hands and sighing. “But if anything happens I want to hear everything,” she demanded. Trelvar looked relieved that his daughter appeared to be taking it well, and Kirdo nodded his assent, making his farewells.

A few minutes later, standing with the others after unhitching Hauler, he was grousing to Sandy after sorting his supplies. “Can you believe this?” he said, gesturing with the bottle of local brandy. “Horse water,” he said with a sniff. “When we get back there will be work to be done if they’re giving out this.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 25, 2018, 12:18:03 PM
Dariel didn't even flinch when the Mayor poses the question; if this group was to survive, Dariel knew he'd have better things to do than carry a lamp. If the group knew what was best for them, someone more appropriate would volunteer. As Maura takes the lantern, he gives a subtle nod of approval.

The bag was heavier than Dariel was use to, but he accepted it without commentary. He only assumed they packed items that he wouldn't need, but didn't want to seem ungrateful and discard them in the presence of their benefactors.

He was not without his share of concerns... He knew little about this group, and although he had no doubt he would lead them without incident to the tomb, he wasn't exactly sure what they would find within. He hoped that they would be tested along the way, not only so that he can show that he's capable enough to be the group's guide but he needed to know what the group was capable of as a whole. If they didn't fare well the first time they encounter any form of danger, it didn't bode well for whatever awaits them inside the crypt.

"Finish any business you may have. We're done here... Time to move."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 25, 2018, 12:25:57 PM
As Dariel urges haste, Maura recalls the map piece in her belt pouch. Unfolding it, she holds it to get the best light of the sun.

The map is cruder than those she studied in Skelt.

"I think this is the village here, and this..." she trails off, squinting to make sense of it.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 25, 2018, 12:42:10 PM
Kirdo was mildly surprised at Dariel’s assertiveness, but then first impressions of someone in a ceremony weren’t so representative, he thought. “Aye, starting past noon isn’t the best but it’s a special occasion and all,” he piped up amiably. Patting Hauler, he approached Maura while withdrawing his own map.

“Hrn,” he muttered to himself, tilting his head up a bit. “I’ve been through those parts before, and even if we didn’t have an actual ranger with us, I could probably pick out a landmark or two,” he said modestly. It took an effort-gnomes loved to know things, and to talk about what they knew, but Kirdo had learned that was frequently off-putting among other races. He would defer to Dariel for choice of path, and decided to ride on Hauler rather than walking if haste was the word.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 26, 2018, 09:21:46 AM
<quote>"Finish any business you may have. We're done here... Time to move."</quote>

Sandy scratches his nose, trying to decide if he should laugh or just take offense.  He settles on a middle course-- taking out the scrap of parchment he'd found in his pack. 

"I've got something that looks map-ish as well," he says.  He shows Maura the map and tries to figure out if they line up at all, or if he recognizes any landmarks, roads, or anything.

Knowledge Local +5 1d20+5 : 3 + 5, total 8


Note
Quote
Each backpack contains 5 days’ worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, and a piece of the Trail Map.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 26, 2018, 02:51:28 PM
Dariel takes a moment to dig in to the pack provided and dig out the map piece he was provided. It wasn't exactly the best map he'd ever seen, but he hoped it was enough to get them where they need to go.

Knowledge Local 1d20 : 2, total 2
Survival 1d20+9 : 6 + 9, total 15
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on January 26, 2018, 04:46:42 PM
The initial stretch of the trip is over familiar ground, with the road wide and flat.  Soon, however, it narrows as the path enters the Fangwood proper, winding through the raking claws of the trees.  The fallen leaves crunch underfoot for the first hour or two of the walk.  As you round a corner, you see a fallen tree trunk blocking the path.  Suddenly a trio of snarling humanoids leaps up from behind the log, all greenish skin and fearsome tusks, bellowing vulgar challenges.

DM OOC
Roll your initiative!
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 26, 2018, 10:07:17 PM
"Let's be reasonable..." Dariel says as he motions the group to stop. "You don't want to do this."

Diplomacy (because why not?) 1d20+1 : 11 + 1, total 12
Initiative 1d20+3 : 19 + 3, total 22
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 26, 2018, 10:34:53 PM
Maura grins. If these creatures are the extent of the journey's challenges, there should be no trouble at all.

Statblock
Current Initiative 9
AC 17 Touch 12 Flat-footed 15
Hit Point Maximum 10 (1d8+2) Current HP 10
Attacks of Opportunity Per Round 3
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 26, 2018, 11:49:28 PM
. OOC— do any of us know anything about orcs in the area?

Although— you said roll for initiative so I guess that means we know they’re hostile.

Sandy surreptitiously draws his crossbow and loads a quarrel.

Initiative +3 1d20+3 : 3 + 3, total 6
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on January 27, 2018, 06:54:05 AM
Quote
(http://www.honkifyoulovejustice.com/forum/Themes/default/images/dice_warn.gif) This dice roll has been tampered with!
Initiative +3 1d20+3 : 3 + 3, total 6

Sorry— Bonus to the roll should be +5 rather than +3. Forgot to add my ‘Reactive’ trait.

Total should be 8.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on January 27, 2018, 07:24:41 AM
Though it was hardly a well-travelled path, the fallen tree blocking it so neatly gave Kirdo a moment's pause before the orcs sprang up and gave him more than a moment's pause. He hadn't ridden this particular path before, but orcs already? He let himself take a moment to consider if he'd heard of trouble such as this, before their insults brought him out of his thoughts abruptly. With a temperament to match his hair, the gnome bristled angrily atop Hauler at their mockery. "Go back to your-" he began, shouting in a high voice in Orcish, before he stopped at Dariel's effort at a more moderate approach. He blinked a little, surprised, but then shrugged and rested both hands on his belt, ready to draw either sling or vial as needed.

OOC: If the diplomacy fails and the orcs attack, Kirdo will attack with either a bomb or a sling. If they charge us, that's fine and he waits until they're within 40' and chucks a bomb at `em on his initiative. But if they split up, or if one of my new buddies gets in the mix with them and are adjacent, Kirdo won't throw a bomb but will sling a bullet at one of them instead, once they're within 30'. On Hauler his move can get him to such ranges if it's required.

[statblock]Current Initiative: 4
AC: 13, Flat: 12, Touch: 12
Current HP: 9
Bombs: 6/6[/statblock]

Knowledge: Local +5
Rolled 1d20+5 : 7 + 5, total 12


Bomb attack, 40' +4 to attack roll as a ranged touch attack
Rolled 1d20+4 : 20 + 4, total 24
Damage
Rolled 1d6+3 : 4 + 3, total 7

Sling attack, 30' +2
Rolled 1d20+2 : 20 + 2, total 22
Damage
Rolled 1d3 : 3, total 3

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 29, 2018, 12:46:45 PM
Dariel grumbles under his own breath, then lets an arrow fly with little hesitation. "Get to cover!" he shouts to the rest the group, unsure of what they're going to do about their attackers.

Attack, longbow vs random target 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23
Damage, if hit 1d8 : 2, total 2
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on January 31, 2018, 07:49:42 AM
Dariel's arrow finds it's target, piercing the center Orc on the arm.  (-2hp)  He growls and charges forward at Dariel, swinging a massive greataxe.

OOC
Sending Nighthawk some info.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on January 31, 2018, 05:52:47 PM
Dariel sees his arrow fly and strike his opponent, but not with the effectiveness he's use to. Before he can nock another arrow, the orc is upon him and cleaves at him with his axe. Dariel braces for impact and...

...nothing. Not even a whiff of air as the axe's blade swings through.

Dariel doesn't exactly know what to think. Although he senses that there's something amiss with these creatures, he's not entirely sure the rest of the group feels the same way yet.

Setting his bow aside, he produces his two blades and hopes his weapons have a more profound effect on the orc. "Attack!" he shouts.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 01, 2018, 09:32:46 AM
The other Orcs are not far behind their comrade, charging Kirdo and Maura.  Kirdo, already doubting the reality of their enemy, is unsurprised when the axe seems to pass through without harm.  Maura braces for impact, but also does not get killed by the massive axe swing. (Maura disbelieves the illusion)  The fallen tree and the Orcs wink out of existence, leaving the four of you standing alone on the road.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 01, 2018, 09:37:50 AM
Maura tears her longsword from its scabbard savagely. Holding it in a defensive position, she scans the road to either side and ahead.

"What trickery is this?" she growls through teeth clenched in fury.

roll
Perception 1d20+2 : 19 + 2, total 21
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 01, 2018, 10:06:31 AM
Kirdo groaned in annoyance, faintly embarrassed. When he was younger he’d been told he paid too much mind to languages and whatever caught his fancy-other gnomes might’ve scented the trick immediately. “Illusion magic,” he said, though he kept his eyes peeled. He patted Hauler idly, who had remained calm throughout. “A reference to Kassen’s adventures, perhaps?” he wondered. He felt a little amusement at Dariel’s assertion of leadership given the unreal threat, but said nothing-he’d been fooled too. “We should’ve known better anyway. Bandits on an empty road in the wilderness?” The gnome knew quite well such wasn’t the place they targeted.

OOC: Perception +3
Rolled 1d20+3 : 14 + 3, total 17
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 01, 2018, 10:23:14 AM
Sandy hears Kirdo say something about illusion magic. He quietly steps into the trees and creeps toward where the orcs had appeared.

stealth +7 1d20+7 : 1 + 7, total 8

perception +9 1d20+9 : 1 + 9, total 10
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on February 03, 2018, 01:44:42 PM
"SHOW YOURSELF!" shouts Darius, unsure if anyone out there besides the group can hear him.

"I do not appreciate being toyed with," he grumbles as he stows his weapons. "Let's keep moving and let's get this over with."

"We should endeavor to be a bit more subtle as we move. We're not surprising anyone moving around like that."

Perception 1d20+8 : 1 + 8, total 9
Survival 1d20+9 : 18 + 9, total 27
Stealth 1d20+6 : 8 + 6, total 14
Knowledge Geography, just in case 1d20+4 : 15 + 4, total 19
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 03, 2018, 03:20:08 PM
Yes.  Let the fool half-elf shout himself hoarse drawing all the attention to him. Sandy smirks.

And runs right into a bramble.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 05, 2018, 01:23:38 AM
Kirdo and Maura lead the stumbling group a short distance into the forest, but it's Dariel who notices the faint impressions in the dirt where someone had watched them.  There is a scent lingering in the air, the particular pipe smoke favored by Holgast, the wizard that lives in the rickety tower outside of town.  There are no footsteps leading away, so if the wizard left, it wasn't on foot.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 05, 2018, 07:24:12 AM
It might be the briars left over from his attempt at appearing clever and stealthy, but there's an uncharacteristically annoyed tone to Sandy's voice when he says to the group, "We just got embarrassed by an old man and a bunch of orc doll babies.  Let's...let's take a moment to talk things over and figure out how not to be surprised next time."

He starts, "I can move...okay, USUALLY, I can move quietly, even through underbrush, and I know some tricks to disarming traps.  Once we put our map fragments together and figure out our route, why don't I scout ahead of the group a bit?  I can spot trouble before we encounter it, and come back and report it to you.  Then we can figure out a plan to approach it."

Even though he says it to the group, it's Maura he faces when he says it.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 05, 2018, 07:31:38 AM
Now that the danger has passed, Maura begins to shift things around in her pack so as to store the lamp within. Sure, holding the relic aloft made for a good show when leaving the village, but she would have had been at somewhat of a disadvantage one-handed even against the likes of orcs had they been real.

"Do not worry, Sandy," Maura says reassuringly as she secures the last tie on her backpack and hoists it to her shoulder, lamp nestled inside its larger center pouch. "We did not flee the orcs when we thought they were flesh, and we charged nobly into the unknown once we deduced magic was at work. I would not say that we were embarrassed. But, I agree that some scouting may be prudent. Though I would ask that you not stray from sight. When it comes down to it, we were charged to complete this task as a group."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 05, 2018, 07:41:36 AM
Sandy doesn't think much of 'charging nobly into the unknown', but the bit about completing the task as a group?  He figures his instincts about Maura were pretty much right on.  She was a born leader.

"Okay.  I'll keep you in sight as I scout," Sandy says.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 05, 2018, 08:28:53 AM
For a moment Kirdo is inclined to object, but even though he hadn’t blundered in the bushes or bellowed a challenge he had missed the illusion, and had in fact spoken to it. If Holgast were a gnome, it would’ve been a marvelous prank spoken of for months. He nudged Hauler nearer to the rest, nodding along with Sandy’s plan.

He feels moment of kinship with Sandy at the talk of noble charges, not at all his cup of tea, but nevertheless there is some reassurance that a straightforward, brave warrior sort is at hand. His pulse is still racing from the moment he thought his companions and possibly himself would take injury or even death.

“It could’ve been worse, after all,” he agreed with Maura. “We may either surprise another prankster or,” he said more seriously, “find any real trouble before it finds us.” As he says that, Kirdo feels a little better. He hadn’t wasted any bombs, after all, which would’ve spun the shelf life of embarrassment from months to years. Thank goodness Holgast wasn’t a gnome!
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 06, 2018, 11:53:23 PM
With little else to discover once the true nature of the Orcish attack was discovered, the group returns to the road a bit warier for it.  The forest seems more oppressive and closed in, though you make good time.  As the sun dips down below the tree line, the effort is made to find a campsite.  A reasonable site is found, not too far off the road, a small clearing closed in on three sides, with level ground for the tents.

With a chance to rest, you begin to notice just how alone you are.  Civilization seems far away, and the only noises are the crackle of the cookfire and the animals of the forest.  The chill pulls in close around you, and the baying of hungry wolves is heard in the distance.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 07, 2018, 04:48:42 AM
“I’ll take first watch,” Sandy says as the wolves’ howling echoes in the trees.

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 8 + 9, total 17
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 07, 2018, 02:03:21 PM
It was by no means Kirdo's first time roughing it, but danger-real or imagined-didn't often find him on those rare occasions he was between lodgings traveling from place to place. Further, gnomes made for better than average hiders. But although the distant sound of wolves was no lullaby, he knew enough not to fear them much. Several things including desperate hunger would need to happen before such creatures posed a threat, and it wasn't the season for that sort of thing.

While he tended to Hauler, he reflected on the level of seriousness with which the people of Kassen treated this ritual. It was important to them, but not dangerous so far as he could tell. And regardless of how frightening it was, the (almost certain) presence of Holgast confirmed that impression. But if the dotty old wizard told stories about how silly they had looked, facing his 'orcs', well, that sort of thing could ingratiate one to people. Making sales that much easier. He then made sure torches were ready to hand, along with oil to help light them quickly if needed. When he bedded down, it would be with his moonrod near to hand as well, ready to strike and illuminate quickly if need be.

Thus cheered, Kirdo offered in his high, fast-speaking voice, "Anyone care for a touch of spirits to brace us after our 'battle'?" he asked with a light laugh at his own expense. "Or if you like, after miles walked down in the day," he added. He had a bit of a supply of liquid to warm their bellies and make them more cheerful, and Sandy would know he didn't truck in swill. "Last watch for me!" he remembered to say quickly, grinning impishly at his human sometimes-partner. First and last watches were best, after all, and it seemed fair enough since he was offering to share his liquor.

OOC:
Perception +3 for his watch.
Rolled 1d20+3 : 20 + 3, total 23

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on February 07, 2018, 09:44:20 PM
Dariel wonders about Sandy's eagerness to take first watch, unsure of whether she can protect the camp. He hesitates, listening to the sound of the wolves and trying to figure out their position and distance. "Sandy... You've done this before? Camp in the wild?"

Knowledge (Nature), if applicable 1d20 : 3, total 3
Perception, if applicable 1d20+8 : 11 + 8, total 19
Survival, if applicable 1d20+9 : 3 + 9, total 12


OOC
Dariel isn't resting until he feels comfortable that Sandy can take watch, so I'll wait for her response. If she's convincing, I'll take second watch after her.
Otherwise, I'm trying to gauge number, distance and direction of wolves.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 07, 2018, 10:41:57 PM
Maura begins to tie her mule to a tree near the edge of the clearing. As the sound of wolves emerges from the approaching night, she adjusts the knot a bit: secure enough to allow the creature to know it is secured, but loose enough to let it get away should the scavengers attack. Satisfied with her handiwork, she unloads the saddlebags, tosses her rope around a branch, and suspends them from the ground. Hopefully they swing high enough to keep out of reach of the wolves or any other curious critters.

Returning to the group, she waves a no-thank-you at Kirdo's offer of drink, instead bending to collect tinder enough to get a small fire going: another deterrent to wolves or worse.

As the discussion of watches begins, she strikes the tinder to spark, adding a bit of kindling as the fire awakens.

"I'll be up for a bit," she says, catching Dariel's meaning and acknowledging it with a glance. Gesturing to her well-polished armor, she continues, "I need to put a bit of work in. I'll take second watch, keeping Sandy company in the meantime."

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 08, 2018, 04:49:36 AM
Sandy scratches his nose and says to Dariel, “Well. Camping. I suspect it’s a bit like spending the night at Foggy Chandler’s house. It’s strange, dark, cold, and sometimes in the middle of the night, his mother comes to try and kiss you. And if you’ve seen Goody Chandler— or her husband— that is just not something you allow.

“So you keep the candles lit,” Sandy says, snapping his fingers at the fire Maura is building.

“And you find something to keep you warm.” He takes a long pull from Kirdo’s offered drink and manages not to cough or splutter.

“And you find a defensible place to sleep.” He waves his hand at the campsite.

“And most importantly, you keep a sharp eye and ear open for the sound of Goody Chandler, creeping through the house. She may be a large woman but she can move as quietly as a shadow.”

Sandy smirks. “I’m pretty sure I can manage, Dariel. Don’t worry. I won’t let her kiss you either.”

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 08, 2018, 05:26:06 AM
The first watch starts out quiet.  For all of Sandy's bravado, it's an unnerving experience.  The firelight casts wicked shadows against the trees, and the only sound other than the crackling of the fire is a single wolf howling.  It's background noise, until Sandy notices that it's getting closer, and closer still.  Until it stops.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 08, 2018, 05:45:24 AM
As quickly and quietly as he can, Sandy wakes Maura. He pointedly puts a bolt into his crossbow and thrusts a log into the fire to make it burn more brightly.

He points toward the last place he’d heard the wolf howling. “That wolf’s been serenading all night. It came closer and closer and then stopped.”

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 11 + 9, total 20


Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 08, 2018, 10:40:30 AM
Kirdo listens, impressed and a little appalled, to Sandy’s unorthodox guide to camping. He shook his head ruefully. “Remind me to ask a lot more questions the next time we work together,” he grinned. Before he slept he would offer those on watch some tea, and was quite willing to offer-or insist upon-precise institutions for how to prepare it while he slept. Then, before sleeping, he would spend time reviewing some notes and muttering to himself about a breakthrough he felt was just on the horizon in his work.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 08, 2018, 11:03:27 AM
Surprisingly to Sandy, Maura is still awake. Lost in her own thoughts, she had not noticed the approach of the wolf. She quickly moves into a crouch and glances around to get her bearings.

Her freshly polished armor and shield, on a blanket nearby, reflect the light of the newly fueled fire. Maura leaves the armor: no time to put it on. Instead, she takes up her trusty greatsword and a small pebble not larger than a thimble. With a muttered prayer, the stone briefly flares to light before she can clutch it in her fist. Even then, light shines dimly in the cracks between her fingers.

Still crouched, Maura waits for Sandy to make his move.

OOC
Maura has cast light on the stone.
Her AC is only 12 without armor or shield
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 08, 2018, 11:13:14 AM
Sandy peers into the darkness— well, what’s left of the darkness after the fire and Maura’s little pebble trick.

OOC— Sandy’s not going to move out into the darkness— he’s got his fire and his Godbotherer all right here. He’s just going to continue making Perception rolls until he sees something more interesting than darkness.
S

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 08, 2018, 04:00:13 PM
The fire brightens for a moment after being disturbed by the log, and Sandy spots it - the eye shine of a wolf.  It's a large but ragged looking creature, all matted hair and visible ribs.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 08, 2018, 05:31:12 PM
Sandy nudges Maura. “There it is.”

He hisses to Dariel and Kirdo to wake up.

initiative +5 1d20+5 : 15 + 5, total 20
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 12, 2018, 08:39:05 AM
Maura squints at the area of darkness where Sandy is pointing.

"Hey!" she calls out. "Go on! Get out of here!"

She tosses the glowing rock into the dark, and readies her sword in case the creature decides to attack.

 
Statblock
Current Initiative 24
AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-footed 12
Hit Point Maximum 10 (1d8+2) Current HP 10
Attacks of Opportunity Per Round 3
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 12, 2018, 11:08:49 AM
As quickly as the wolf was spotted, it darts back into the forest.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 12, 2018, 11:14:46 AM
Kirdo stumbled upright, blinking rapidly after vaguely hearing Maura...shout? Sing? “Whazm...toxins not...” he mumbled, hands patting about, retrieving his sling and bullets, and rubbing sand for his eyes. “What’s happening?” he asked, and then glances at Hauler with sleepy concern.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 12, 2018, 11:18:12 AM
Sandy says softly, “Goody Chandler went to fetch Goody Kniepp.”
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 12, 2018, 01:14:34 PM
“Say that again, but make a grain of sense this time, Tippenroe,” Kirdo replied, flummoxed by the young man’s response and not paying his best attention in any event. He mumbled to himself, shutting his eyes and lightly thumping his fist to his forehead in search of the dream inspiration he felt, mistaken or not, to be in his grasp.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 12, 2018, 01:50:36 PM
“The wolf we heard earlier came right up to the edge of the campfire,” Sandy says. “Maura scared it off. “
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on February 12, 2018, 05:02:07 PM
Dariel snaps awake as Maura shouts, only to see a fleeting glimpse of the animal darting in to the forest.

He motions towards his weapons. "There never is only one of them out here... Stay sharp."

OOC
I'm assuming I'm awake, yet prone. Given a chance, I'll stand. If my initiative position passes, I'll ready an action to attack anything that's threatening.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 12, 2018, 06:00:54 PM
'Yes, but are there any of them out there?' Kirdo wondered quietly. He nearly said as much, but caught himself. If there were real danger, it wouldn't do for everyone second-guessing themselves, as opposed to simply him. Nevertheless, he sidled closer to the fire, ready to light a torch for better light for those who couldn't see so well-and also serve as additional deterrent for any hungry animals.

[ooc]Yeah, standing might be an action. Kirdo does that in any event, and then gets ready to light another torch if there are signs of other animals. Also, if he can, he will try to determine whether more illusion work is at play.

Perception +3
Rolled 1d20+3 : 12 + 3, total 15

[/ooc]
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 13, 2018, 08:46:08 AM
Sandy slides to the edge of the firelight.

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 18 + 9, total 27
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 13, 2018, 09:01:54 AM
Maura lowers her guard as things begin to settle down in camp. She shrugs apologetically for the disruption, but shows no intent to return to her bedroll. As Sandy moves past to peer into the forest, she calls out to him softly:

"Hey, no use trying to track it in the dark, Sandy. It didn't seem eager to face prey that fights back anyway."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 13, 2018, 09:20:03 AM
Sandy glances at her, then back to the forest. “I hear forest wolves are wily. They show their gleaming eyes to the unsuspecting then disappear into the dark. They leave only to come back a moment later with forest bears. The forest bears do the same thing— show their eyes and then disappear, but they come back with forest gnomes. And then.  Then...the terror begins.

“The only way to stop the madness is to catch the forest bears before they get close enough to flash their eyes at you. So. That’s what I’m doing. Watching for sneaky forest bears.”

Throughout all this, Sandy’s face is flushed and his voice is noticeably a tone higher.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 13, 2018, 09:22:50 AM
OOC- Which is just to say: despite his flippant little story, Sandy is pretty tense.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 13, 2018, 10:27:35 AM
After a few minutes of squinting futilely at the darkness beyond the campfire, Sandy eases his finger off his crossbow's trigger, and rolls his shoulders.  "I think it's gone," he says. 

He spends another moment fussing with his quarrel, straightening his hood, shaking his limbs, before stepping beyond the firelight.  He fetches Maura's pebble and tosses it back to her.  "I'm going to wake you up in a couple hours, Kirdo," he calls to the camp.  "Unless the bears get me."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 13, 2018, 12:51:06 PM
Kirdo is prepared to be snappish, but he and Tippenroe have worked together a bit, and his patter isn’t quite as glib. So instead he smiled insufferably, looking pleased for the first time to be awake. “I’ll protect you from the forest gnomes when they come,” Kirdo promised with a chuckle. “Well, probably,” he added, getting ready to go back to bed again. “If you stop chattering,” he went on, but there wasn’t any real bite in it. “Goodnight again, everyone,” he said a few minutes later.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 15, 2018, 07:51:56 AM
With the wolf gone, an eerie quiet settles over the forest around the camp.  The rock stops glowing after a few minutes leaving only the firelight to see by.

OOC
So Maura and Sandy are still up, is that right?
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 15, 2018, 07:55:23 AM
Sandy scratches his nose when he sees Maura’s glow stone wink out. Nothing now but the fire and the dark.

He rolls his shoulders and gets back to the work of making sure nothing creeps up on the camp.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 15, 2018, 08:38:24 AM
Crossing to the opposite side of the fire from Sandy, Maura turns her back to the flames to peer out into the darkness, still wired from her encounter with the wolf.

As her heart rate slows, she ponders what she could have done to further deter the wolf from approaching the camp. One of the temple dogs would be nice to have right now, she thinks, remembering that she had read somewhere that wolves hesitate to approach a camp if a dog is present.

Well, the party is fresh out of dogs.

As she scans the dark Maura cannot stop thinking of the wolf's skinny, mangy look. Perhaps the creature was just hungry?
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 19, 2018, 09:56:28 AM
Sandy watched the forest for half and hour, near as he could reckon, before he heard it - a small branch snapping, a rock dislodged from its place - he wasn't sure what it was, but it brought his attention to the northern edge of the camp site.  Just in time, as he saw the yellow eyes of a wolf, now followed by two more.

OOC
Right now only Sandy has spotted them, and only just.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 19, 2018, 12:22:47 PM
The wolf again, but with friends.

This time, Sandy doesn’t fetch the others or warn the wolves.

light crossbow ranged attack +3 1d20+3 : 15 + 3, total 18

light crossbow damage d8 1d8 : 5, total 5

Sneak attack damage (if applicable) 1d6 : 2, total 2


...assuming I’m within 30 feet and not threatened by the wolves.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on February 20, 2018, 03:11:51 PM
When Kirdo jolted awake not very long, it felt to him, after he'd just gotten back to sleep again, he was feeling understandably grouchy. Stumbling out of his bedding, there was at least no ambiguity about the need for waking this time. "Find some damned deer!" Kirdo exclaimed angrily, and unless they were right amongst the camp and near his comrades, his hands moved quickly to precisely jostle and add his magic to one of his bombs and hurled it where it would do the most damage, any wolves adjacent to one another but not a comrade. If not, he reached for his sling to send a stone whirling at the nearest wolf.

Bomb attack: Bomb attack, <40' +4 to attack roll as a ranged touch attack
Rolled 1d20+4 : 7 + 4, total 11
Damage: 1d6+3
Rolled 1d6+3 : 3 + 3, total 6

or
Sling attack, <50' +2
Rolled 1d20+2 : 8 + 2, total 10

Damage: 1d3
Rolled 1d3 : 2, total 2
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 21, 2018, 03:13:59 PM
Forgot to roll initiative

initiative +5 1d20+5 : 3 + 5, total 8
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 23, 2018, 07:01:54 PM
The wolf nearest Maura races over, jaws agape, but she manages to shove the blanket at it, and the wolf is unable to sink its teeth into her. (miss)  Sandy's crossbow bolt pierces another wolf deeply in the flank, and it yelps in pain.  (hit, -7hp)  The injured wolf runs over to Sandy and grabs his leg, yanking him off his feet.  (hit, -4hp, tripped)  The last wolf snaps at Kirdo, but the gnome manages to dodge even as he wakes. (miss)
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on February 26, 2018, 07:57:33 PM
Dariel snaps awake and quickly scrambles up from the ground. "Get back!" he shouts as he draws both of his blades, lunging at the nearest wolf.

Primary attack roll 1d20+3 : 7 + 3, total 10
Primary damage 1d6+2 : 1 + 2, total 3


Off-hand attack roll (???) 1d20+3 : 1 + 3, total 4
Off-hand damage 1d6+1 : 4 + 1, total 5
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on February 26, 2018, 09:52:58 PM
Maura lifts a knee to deflect the wolf's eager teeth. As she steps her foot down, her greatsword follows, slashing in an attempt to take advantage of the wolf's positioning before it can ready for another attack.

Greatsword 1d20+5 : 8 + 5, total 13
Damage 2d6+6 : 3, 4 + 6, total 13


Statblock
Current Initiative 27
AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-footed 10
Hit Point Maximum 10 (1d8+2) Current HP 10
Attacks of Opportunity Per Round 3
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on February 26, 2018, 10:42:56 PM
Maura, clearly already standing, has her leg savagely bitten by the nearest wolf. (-7hp)  She grits her teeth and swings the massive sword, but the wolf shifts at the last moment. (miss)

ooc
Sandy's up.  Well, tripped and back on the ground but you know.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on February 27, 2018, 06:05:23 AM
Sandy shields his face and belly gets to his feet, and draws his dagger.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 05, 2018, 08:19:48 AM
The wolf by Sandy attempts to snap and rend as he stands, and after as well, but misses both times.  Kirdo is not so lucky, as the wolf on that side of camp bites him, but isn't able to hold on. (-2hp)  Perhaps it was distracted by Dariel's wild slashing.

ooc
Pausing for Kirdo, as he's got to both stand and draw before being able to attack, and with the wolf there I want to see if that's going to change anything Kirdo would want to do.  Maura can give an action too since she would be next.

Maura - 27
Wolf 1 - 22 (By Maura)
Sandy - 8 (-4hp)
Dariel - 8
Wolf 2 - 6 (-7hp)
Wolf 3 - 3 (By Kirdo)
Kirdo - 2 (-2hp)  <---
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on March 07, 2018, 02:51:52 PM
"Argh! Nameless take you, goddamn dog!" Kirdo grunted, grunting a particularly foul gnomish obscenity as he wriggled away from the wolf. Woken twice in a night, the second to not just wolves but a wolf bite would put anyone in a foul mood. He found his feet and cast his eyes around-if any of the wolves were close enough together, he would throw a bomb. If not, he'd draw his dagger and attack the one that had gotten a taste of him. Unfortunately, what with the surprise of the situation, he doesn't think it entirely through and throws even if a comrade might be caught in the explosion.

Bomb attack: Bomb attack, <40' +4 to attack roll as a ranged touch attack
Rolled 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18

Damage: 1d6+3
Rolled 1d6+3 : 6 + 3, total 9


Dagger: 1d20+1
Rolled 1d20+1 : 18 + 1, total 19

Damage: 1d3
Rolled 1d3 : 2, total 2


OOC: Playing this as Kirdo being too surprised and coming out of sleep to notice if one buddy gets caught in the mix, but not more than that. In other words, if Kirdo can get 2 or more wolves in one throw and only one collateral-including himself!-he tosses it. MOre than one buddy, though, and that's enough to cut through the fog so to speak, and it's a dagger attack. Sorry for the complication.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 11, 2018, 09:36:29 AM
The wolf snaps at Kirdo as he stands but the nimble gnome (gnimble?) dodged it.  Almost without thinking, he slashed the creature across the muzzle with his dagger. (-2hp)

ooc
Maura - 27 <----
Wolf 1 - 22 (By Maura)
Sandy - 8 (-4hp)
Dariel - 8
Wolf 2 - 6 (-7hp)
Wolf 3 - 3 (-2hp) (By Kirdo)
Kirdo - 2 (-2hp)
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on March 11, 2018, 10:31:37 AM
Maura, grimacing in pain from the bite the wolf took out of her, steadies herself in order to swing her sword in a deadly chop at the creature.

Attack 1d20+5 : 1 + 5, total 6
Damage 2d6+6 : 1, 4 + 6, total 11
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 11, 2018, 04:00:57 PM
Maura's sword misses the wolf again, but its retaliatory bite catches only air.

ooc
Sandy and Dariel are up.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on March 11, 2018, 07:14:03 PM
Sandy tries to think of something clever to say, but his belly is jumping around and threatening to burst out of his throat. Maura looks as bad as he feels. He edges toward her and stabs at the wolf’s haunches.

Attack +3 1d20+3 : 14 + 3, total 17

Dagger (Finesse/Dirty Fighting) 1d4+4 1d4+4 : 4 + 4, total 8

Sneak Attack 1d6 1d6 : 2, total 2
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on March 12, 2018, 06:27:30 AM
OOC:Just to be clear, Sandy is shifting away from the wolf threatening him (5-ft step) to flank and attack the wolf threatening Maura.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 16, 2018, 04:46:22 PM
Sandy's attack surprises the wolf, which was clearly focused on Maura.  The dagger finds a space between the emaciated wolf's ribs with a sickening thunk that will linger in Sandy's dreams.  The creature falls to the ground, trying and failing to find breath.

ooc
Maura - 27
Wolf 1 - 22 (By Maura)
Sandy - 8 (-4hp)
Dariel - 8 <----
Wolf 2 - 6 (-7hp)
Wolf 3 - 3 (-2hp) (By Kirdo)
Kirdo - 2 (-2hp)
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on March 16, 2018, 06:42:57 PM
Maura directs a nod of thanks toward Sandy.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on March 16, 2018, 06:48:08 PM
Sandy realizes it has been a while since he blinked. Something might be wrong with his eyelids— he can’t blink, can’t take his sight off the wolf heaving and whining and dying.

Can’t take his eyes off Maura, either. She’s alive. She nods at him. “Uh-huh,” he manages. “N-no sweat. You’re bleeding.  Did you know?”
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on March 18, 2018, 01:57:50 AM
Dariel rushes to bring his weapons to bear, aggravated at the fact that he let his guard down. Both weapons in hand, he stabs wildly at the nearest wolf.

OOC
If I'm not standing and will draw an AoO if I do, I'll do it anyway.

If I have an equal choice between the two, I'll attack the one that's by Kirdo (Wolf 3?).

Primary, Attack 1d20+3 : 3 + 3, total 6
Primary, Damage 1d6+2 : 1 + 2, total 3


Secondary, Attack 1d20+1 : 3 + 1, total 4
Secondary, Damage 1d6+1 : 4 + 1, total 5
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 21, 2018, 09:45:05 PM
The wolf rounded on Dariel after his stab attempts and sank its teeth into the half-elf's arm, shaking wildly. (-5hp)  Thankfully, the ranger keeps his feet, but only just.  The wolf by Kirdo snarls and snaps, but again the gnome is missed.

ooc
Maura - 27
Wolf 1 - 22 (By Maura)
Sandy - 8 (-4hp)
Dariel - 8 (-5hp)
Wolf 2 - 6 (-7hp)
Wolf 3 - 3 (-2hp) (By Kirdo)
Kirdo - 2 (-2hp)  <----

Kirdo, then back to the top of the lineup.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on March 22, 2018, 04:21:22 PM
'Well, I'm awake now,' Kirdo thought to himself with irritated amusement. Even his best work couldn't clear the head as well as shying away from the snap of a wolf's jaws, scarcely a nose length from his face. Not that wolf fangs in his flesh hadn't woken him already. But the wolf was off balance from its missed lunge, and was hardly in peak condition anyway, which gave Kirdo just enough time to do what he loved best, as much or even in this moment more than his work: that is to say, putting his work to explosive use. So he concentrated briefly on the small bottle now in his hand, and hurled it as best he could to the midpoint between the two remaining wolves.

Ranged attack vs. AC 5 for grid intersection:
Rolled 1d20+3 : 7 + 3, total 10

If it lands, it's 4 damage to both wolves and anyone else caught in the bomb, if there is anyone.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 25, 2018, 04:00:10 PM
Kirdo's alchemical mix smashes in the ground, flames leaping forth with a whoooosh.  Perhaps it is the wounds already received or the starvation, but neither animal manages to get out of the way, and the smell of burning dog hair fills the camp.  The wolf furthest from Kirdo falls dead, the near one barely breathing.

Spoiler
Maura, Sandy, Dariel, one wolf left.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on March 25, 2018, 05:26:18 PM
Wrinkling her nose from the stench of the burning hair, Maura steels herself against the odor in order to leap into an attack against the remaining wolf.

Attack 1d20+5 : 1 + 5, total 6
Damage 2d6+6 : 4, 1 + 6, total 11
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on March 25, 2018, 06:16:49 PM
Seeing Maura move toward the remaining wolf, Sandy scratches his nose and follows suit, angling to flank the wolf with her.

Attack +3 +2 flanking 1d20+5 : 17 + 5, total 22

Dagger (Finesse/Dirty Fighting) 1d4+4 1d4+4 : 2 + 4, total 6

Sneak Attack 1d6 1d6 : 1, total 1
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on March 25, 2018, 09:14:59 PM
Maura and Sandy swing at the last wolf at almost the same time, and the animal falls dead.  No further wolves appear - just like that, the forest is quiet again.

Spoiler
Well done!
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on March 26, 2018, 07:24:42 PM
"Well," Kirdo said, sniffing the smoky air and making sure the fire from his bomb didn't spread. Contrary to gnomish reputation, that particular lesson had been learned easily-alchemists who didn't, didn't last. "That was bracing," he said sourly. And embarrassing, he thought but didn't say. He'd been badly wrong on wolfish behavior, and it still surprised him a little-he wouldn't have expected pickings to be so rough for wolves a half dozen or so miles from the nearest settlement. After making sure the fire was dying out rather than spreading, he moved with the awkward delicacy of someone bitten by a wolf to fuss over Hauler and make sure he hadn't taken too bad a scare. A horsey grunt assured him that Hauler had handled the whole affair rather better than his rider, but both seemed relieved to find each other well if not entirely whole.

Then Kirdo drew another, finer bottle from a pack on the ground near Hauler and began to focus his attention on it. A minute later, he downed the concoction swiftly and sighed in relief, his wounds healing. "If my skill were greater, I would offer to share," the gnome said sheepishly, well aware that others had taken considerably worse than he. But he wasn't a healer, and didn't have anything to offer in that line, so he waited to see if there was anything he could do.

OOC: Having taken only 2 points of damage, Kirdo doesn't need to roll since that's the minimum the extract can heal anyway.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on March 27, 2018, 11:31:30 AM
Maura clenches her fist in a private gesture frustration. Each time she was presented with the opportunity to strike one of the wolves, she faltered. It was if all of her training fled her mind when faced with a true threat. If she performed this way during exams, she would be on pots and pans duty for a month.

Glancing around, she mutters a quiet prayer of thanks that none of her companions where felled by the wolves. Taking her holy symbol in hand, she prays aloud, feeling some of her wounds close as the light of Iomedae envelops her:

"Bolster us with thy light."

Cure Light Wounds 1d8+1 : 5 + 1, total 6
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on March 27, 2018, 12:57:53 PM
As the worst of her wounds close with the divine power of her god, Maura turns to her companions. The remnants of the light of Iomedae briefly flares in her eyes before dimming to the glare of flickering fire light.

"I can petition my god for healing once more before I rest. Does anyone else require Iomedae's blessing?"
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on March 27, 2018, 01:40:27 PM
Sandy bows his head as Maura prays, then fetches the crossbow he'd dropped on the ground.  By the time he's come back to the fire, his stomach has settled and he no longer feels the insistent urge to run back to Kassen. 

"I think Dariel got it worse than I did," Sandy says when Maura asks about healing.  He hikes his trouser leg.  There's an ugly bruise forming on his shin where the wolf had bit him to tumble him down, but no blood.  "Didn't even break the skin," he says.  "I'll be fine."

He surreptitiously adds another log to the fire. 
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on March 30, 2018, 11:45:29 AM
There’s a longish pause. “What should we do with the bodies?” Sandy asks.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on April 02, 2018, 08:18:32 AM
Dariel staggers about on his feet, almost oblivious to the pain and more concerned about the group's inability to detect the beast's presence before it was too late.

"I thought you said you've done this before," he says, glaring at Sandy.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on April 03, 2018, 10:10:14 AM
Maura looks up at Dariel's intense comment to Sandy, noticing that he is far more wounded than he let on.

"Let me help you," she says. Reaching out, she lays a hand upon Dariel's forehead. A faint glow washes over the half-elf as Maura speaks a prayer, "Extend they blessing to my companion."

Cure Light Wounds 1d8+1 : 7 + 1, total 8
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on April 03, 2018, 02:03:59 PM
Sandy smiles, showing way too many teeth.  “Sounds like you’re offering to take my watch from now on, Dariel. I’ll finish up tonight, and then they are all yours.”
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on April 11, 2018, 11:28:22 PM
The rest of the night passes without further incident.  As dawn comes, the first thing you all notice is the deep red sky, followed by rapidly moving clouds.  You consult the next map fragment over breakfast, and determine your course through the Fangwood, towards the Grey Lake.

Spoiler
Any other chatting or prep you wish to do can be done now.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on April 16, 2018, 03:18:32 PM
The wolves’ corpses smell sour. Sandy can smell them even though he’d dragged them off deeper into the woods and covered them with branches.

He motions at the sky. “Looks like rain.” 
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on April 18, 2018, 06:46:13 AM
Maura nods at Sandy.

"We should set a quick pace before it starts then."

She quickly, but effectively, brushes down her mule before loading the saddlebags. After inspecting her sword for any wolf remains, she slides it into the scabbard. Looking around at her companions, she announces:

"I'm ready."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on April 18, 2018, 06:56:58 AM
Sandy will scout forward.

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 3 + 9, total 12

Stealth +7 1d20+7 : 13 + 7, total 20
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Rakeesh on April 20, 2018, 09:44:52 AM
Kirdo woke early and refreshed, perhaps a bit livelier than his companions-he had taken less injury after all, and after quaffing his creation the minor injuries from the wolf had been completely restored. He immediately reached for his notes, but the edges of the problem he was working on still eluded him. No matter-he knew he was close to a breakthrough.

Still, the trouble in the night had left the gnome a little unnerved-real, actual danger hadn’t really been in his mind for this venture. The snappishness among his fellows, as well, was something he didn’t know how to address and was left to hope it would be forgotten. After rising and trying for insight with his alchemy, he tended carefully to Hauler, periodically chatting with his animal companion in Gnomish, praising the horse again for his steadfastness when the wolves struck. He took care to be ready to depart when the others were, so as not to hold the group back.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on April 22, 2018, 03:47:06 PM
Dariel didn't exactly sleep comfortably... A sense of uneasiness still wandered in his mind, and he was concerned about whether the rest of the group really is ready for what's ahead. If a small pack of wolves can be such a problem, he could only imagine that the rest of the adventure may end before it even starts.

"Let's move on." He was hesitant to speak about the night before. "Hopefully we can get there before we have to spend another night in the wild."

Rolled 1d20+9 : 4 + 9, total 13

Rolled 1d20+8 : 15 + 8, total 23

Rolled 1d20+6 : 19 + 6, total 25

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on April 22, 2018, 03:47:52 PM
//OOC: That's Survival, Perception and Stealth. Sorry, got tags wrong.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on April 26, 2018, 09:05:20 AM
The early morning passes quietly, and as you walk the forest starts to give way to a grassy field, and then you see the Grey Lake.  It's early enough that there is still a layer of fog clinging to the surface.  Near the short of the lake, a dark form lies next to the water.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on April 27, 2018, 09:09:57 PM
"Wait here," Maura says. She passes the lantern to Dariel. "I will investigate."

She approaches the dark object near the water, scanning for movement.

Perception 1d20+2 : 1 + 2, total 3

Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on April 28, 2018, 07:21:25 PM
"Wait..." Dariel says softly as he moves forward. "I don't want any more surprises."

Perception 1d20+8 : 8 + 8, total 16
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on April 30, 2018, 03:45:20 PM
As Dariel and Maura approach cautiously, the smell of decay becomes prevalent.  It's a corpse, of a tall humanoid.  Despite looking as if it has been dead for a few weeks, animals have left the body alone.  There are several pairs of large round puncture wounds on the upper torso, clearly visible even with the decay.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 03, 2018, 08:06:36 AM
Sandy tosses a rock at the body. “Maybe it’s another illusion.”

Dexterity +3 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 03, 2018, 08:09:23 AM
OOC- are there any legends about the area that would explain the body and it’s strange wounds?

Knowledge Local +5 1d20+5 : 16 + 5, total 21
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on May 03, 2018, 11:21:55 AM
Sandy tosses a rock at the body. “Maybe it’s another illusion.”

The rock bounces off the body, raising a bit of a dirt cloud.

OOC- are there any legends about the area that would explain the body and it’s strange wounds?

You have heard stories of snakes large enough to produce the bites on this body.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 03, 2018, 11:39:13 AM
“Rand Bremen usd to tell tales about snakes whose bite could make holes like those,” Sandy says.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on May 07, 2018, 03:33:52 PM
"Snakes?" says Maura, stopping to peer warily around before turning back to Sandy. "Watch my back, will you?"

Focusing again on the body, she moves carefully toward it to get a better look, dreading that it might be someone from the town.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 08, 2018, 05:59:14 AM
Sandy slips a bolt into his crossbow.

[cooor=#999999]OOC: Ready action— if an enemy threatens Maura, fire a crossbow bolt at them.[/color]

Crossbow attack +3 1d20+3 : 10 + 3, total 13

Crossbow damage 1d8 : 3, total 3
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on May 10, 2018, 08:45:28 AM
Nothing leaps out of the water.  After carefully turning the corpse's head, Maura is relieved as she doesn't recognize the person.  The clothes look out of place for Kassen as well, more of a city-dweller's outfit, though rough and tumble.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on May 11, 2018, 12:14:19 PM
"Nothing to see here...", Dariel mutters. "He should have known better than to venture out here alone. Let's move on. Stay sharp."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 11, 2018, 01:07:49 PM
“Why hasn’t anything come along to drag it off?” Sandy wonders aloud. “Those wolves were starved half to death— this would have made an easy meal.  Something’s wrong here.”

He sweeps his free hand around to indicate he means more than just the immediate area. “Not saying i think we should stick around.  Just that...er...this is...wrong,” he finishes.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on May 11, 2018, 01:14:21 PM
"Good question," says Maura as she wrinkles up her nose at the body. Then, after a shake of her head, she continues, "But I think they are best answered at another time. We do have a task." She turns to Dariel, "I agree we should move along, and quickly. Do you know which direction we must take?"
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on May 18, 2018, 04:55:08 PM
After consulting the map pieces again, you set off from the Gray Lake and follow a rough path back into the forest at a different spot. 

The trail leads ever deeper into the Fangwood, through a twisting maze of trees and confusing ravines. As it tops a small rise, a broad valley spreads out before it, the opposite side of which looks like a writhing serpent. Yet between the two lies a steep hill sloping down into the valley. During the three hour trek to reach it, a cold rain starts to fall, making the ground slick and treacherous.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 21, 2018, 11:34:00 AM
Sandy says, “Wet ground and a steep hill. I wish I’d thought to bring a couple boards to make a plank sled.”

He fishes in his pack for his rope and ties it off to a convenient tree trunk. “Who wants to go first?” he asks.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on May 22, 2018, 10:11:49 AM
Maura eyeballs the slope and looks at her mule and then at her companions.

"I suggest I tie my rope around one of you at a time. As you guide yourselves down on Sandy's rope, I can hold my rope up here and provide some security, using the tree as leverage. It is a slow process, but I would prefer to avoid any further injury. Then, I can hopefully do the same for the mule."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 22, 2018, 10:17:33 AM
OOC: How far down is this steep hill anyway?  My rope is only 50’ long.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on May 23, 2018, 07:29:58 AM
About 25-30 feet.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 23, 2018, 07:56:47 AM
“You’re going to lower a mule down by yourself?” Sandy asks. There’s no skepticism in his voice; just curiosity.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on May 23, 2018, 07:58:02 AM
Maura shrugs.

"Unless you have a better idea. I'd prefer not to leave it up here. There are hungry wolves about after all. And... other things, as we saw earlier today."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 23, 2018, 08:03:27 AM
Sandy wipes the rain out of his eyes and says, “Let me scout a bit and see if there’s a better route down.”

Stealth +7 1d20+7 : 18 + 7, total 25

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 13 + 9, total 22

Survival +2 1d20+2 : 7 + 2, total 9
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on May 30, 2018, 12:44:14 PM
Unfortunately, Sandy finds no improvement to the descent anywhere within walking distance.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 30, 2018, 01:02:37 PM
Sandy reports back to the others, his blonde hair dark and sticking to his face from the rain, "Looks like this is our road.  Come on, let's get down it before the valley becomes a lake."

OOC: Sandy will go first if no one else volunteers.

Acrobatics +7 1d20 : 20, total 20
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on May 30, 2018, 01:06:50 PM
Maura holds an end of her rope up to Kirdo and Dariel.

"Well, if you want some extra security, let me know. I'll descend last."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on May 30, 2018, 01:12:53 PM
ETA:  Rats.  Need three rolls. 

Sandy laughs as he careens down the hill.  "Easy as walking down the street!" he calls up to the dawdlers at the top of the hill.

Acrobatics +7 1d20+7 : 5 + 7, total 12

Acrobatics +7 1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on June 08, 2018, 05:20:27 PM
Sandy slips once but narrowly avoids slamming into a tree, and ends up at the bottom breathing heavy but unharmed.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Nighthawk on June 13, 2018, 04:56:49 PM
"This should be easy..." Dariel things to himself as he descends with the others.

Acrobatics 1d20+2 : 6 + 2, total 8
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on July 02, 2018, 11:58:16 PM
As her companions make their way down the hill, Maura shakes her head as they refuse her help. She shrugs off her armor and straps it to her back. Attaching a rope to her mule, she keeps one hand on the lead on her other on the rope tied to the tree.

(http://www.honkifyoulovejustice.com/forum/Themes/default/images/dice_warn.gif) This dice roll has been tampered with!
Climb 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23
Rolled 1d20+4 : 16 + 4, total 20
Rolled 1d20+4 : 5 + 4, total 9
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on September 14, 2018, 07:47:17 AM
"Woohoo!" Sandy shouts, laughing and clapping as Dariel begins his descent, and Maura follows.  "It's easy, right?"
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on November 26, 2018, 07:54:28 AM
Sandy, Maura, Kirdo and Dariel manage the steep, muddy descent without much trouble.  Checking the map, you see that you've reached the Serpent Gorge, and the Crypt of the Everflame is just ahead.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on November 26, 2018, 08:37:32 AM
Sandy flicks the rain out of his eyes, and says over the noise of the rain, “Not much farther, right?  I’ll scout ahead.”

He moves off, keeping Mara in sight.
Rolled 1d20+7 : 11 + 7, total 18

Rolled 1d20+9 : 5 + 9, total 14
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on November 26, 2018, 08:38:21 AM
Sorry— forgot how to do the rolls— that first one is stealth, the second is perception.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on November 26, 2018, 09:35:41 AM
Mara seems to relax, but she is alert and ready for action. This "quick, uneventful journey" has been anything but, and she doesn't intend for it to fail now
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on November 27, 2018, 11:27:22 AM
The sparse trees at the bottom of the valley quickly give way, and you see your destination.

An archway of stone is set into the side of a small hill at the bottom of the valley.  Moss has overgrown many of the details, but one is still quite clear.  The keystone of the arch is carved with a flame symbol with a stylized rune in the middle.  Beyond the archway is a darkened tunnel that leads to a pair of massive wooden doors, one of which is slightly ajar.

A pair of horses and a trio of ponies lie slaughtered next to the archway, each corpse still tied to a post set into the ground
nearby. A swarm of flies hangs lazily in the air above them.

(http://www.honkifyoulovejustice.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Crypt.jpg)
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on November 27, 2018, 12:21:43 PM
Assuming that since Sandy is scouting ahead, he's the first one to see it...

He smells the slaughter before he sees it.  Blood and sour meat.  Sandy crouches behind a rock and pants as quietly as he can to keep from vomiting.  This was so much worse than the wolves.  How long since the horses has been slaughtered?  His mind races.  Flies had gathered.  The bodies stank.  Maybe hours? 

Sandy covers his nose and mouth and studies the scene from behind the rock. 

Can he tell anything else from here?  He would get just close enough to see/smell the bodies.  No closer than 30 feet, I guess.

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 13 + 9, total 22
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on December 02, 2018, 02:50:43 PM
Sandy notices some bones underneath one of the horses, but would need to approach closer to see more than that.  Nothing else is moving that you can see.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on December 03, 2018, 08:51:16 AM
Not seeing anything overtly dangerous, Sandy signals to the others to approach.  He catches Mara as she gets near.  "There's some bones underneath that horse's carcass.  There."
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on December 03, 2018, 09:30:47 AM
Mara approaches quickly, eager for to sight their destination. When she comes upon the grizzly scene, she stops short.

"Iomedae's light, what transpired here?"

Trusting the others to watch her back, she approaches the horse indicated by Sandy. Before moving the horse to get to the bones, she inspects the carcass, attempting to determine how long it has been since it was felled.

Heal
Heal 1d20+6 : 1 + 6, total 7
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on December 03, 2018, 09:51:56 AM
Sandy stays back a bit, but readies his crossbow and keeps an eye on the area.

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 19 + 9, total 28
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on December 03, 2018, 01:10:48 PM
Perhaps it's all the mud and muck, but Mara is unable to make a specific determination on time of death.  Recent, since they do still look like horses and ponies.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Scott R on December 08, 2018, 02:30:39 PM
After Mara finishes her inspection of the corpses, Sandy moves forward to stand in the door of the temple.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: TheTick on December 14, 2018, 08:52:04 PM
The heavy wooden doors are shut, leaving the interior of the crypt a mystery.
Title: Re: Chapter One - Kassen Town Square
Post by: Lotofsnow on January 14, 2019, 09:08:44 AM
Maura stares at Sandy, her face a conglomeration of confusion and concern. Seeing their destination so close, she is caught between a healthy dose of caution learned at the temple academy and a firm determination fueled by her respect for the ritual at hand.

Suddenly, she relaxes, her decision made. Blade out and ready, she pushes past Sandy and opens the door.