Skyrim Creation Kit - What to make?

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The Skyrim Creation Kit should be out any day now, and I definitely want to give it a try.  But what to do?  Previous attempts in the earlier Elder Scrolls games had me making shortcuts for travel (I built a room to store my gear, that had entrances wherever I wanted) but the easier fast travel reduces the need for it.  I'm not a good enough 3D designer to make new weapons and armor.  Quests might be neat - have never done those before - but I'd need a good idea.  What do YOU have planned?
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

T_Smith

I don't really have the time for it, but honestly, I'd like to see a mod that allows you to progressively work your way into owning a chain of stores that buys and sells merchandise. The general progression would be starting as a sales clerk working a 4 hour (game time) shift requiring you to essentially do a 'Pawn Stars' negotiation involving a Speech Craft check for any wandering adventurers who haven't taken an arrow to the knee looking to sell something (let's say there's a random variable of 1 - 3 rolled per game hour and that rolls of 3 results in a successful visit from an adventurer) or a random passerby that's looking to buy something.

After a certain number of hours, you then get to purchase the store from the owner, starting at one category of purchasable items like alchemy ingredients and that as certain levels progress, you can unlock a Weapons and Armor section, etc. etc.

After upgrading the store all the way, you can then hire someone to do that work for you. After that progresses, you can open a new store in a different hold and hire someone there until ultimately, you have a chain of adventurer pawn shops.

I don't know how much fun it would be, but it would be fun to earn a living do something other than adventuring or chopping wood.

TheTick

Out of the box thinking, there, I like that.  Could give you something better to do with all that extra gear you find.  Too bad the game economy isn't robust enough to support something like that, most likely, I'd love to try it.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

T_Smith

Yeah, the game's economy system is the #1 thing I'd love to play around with. The idea's I've had for playing around with it would be to increase the prices of housing followed by decreasing the selling value of all items significantly. For example a 1000 dollar ebony sword would be valued at 200 for selling value (the buying value for the most part would remain unchanged).

A few thoughts I've had problems making a determination on:  how much gold these travelers would have on them when trying to purchase items, and how to select what the person would try to buy. For example, if the traveler had 800 gold on them, and you were selling 20 items at 800 gold or less, what factors should the logic use in selecting which item they "wanted" to buy? Just random select, maybe?

TheTick

Should probably be related to their job - a farmer won't need a full set of Dwarven armor, but might want arrows (in the knee) for hunting.

TheTick

It's out!  Haven't gotten into it yet, but I want to tonight maybe.  Did find some more cool mods though, including getting Narsil/Anduril as weapons in-game.  They look really sharp (no pun intended).

TheTick

You're not the only one concerned with the merchants - there's a mod via the Steam Workshop to improve the merchants based on how much you use one.  It's a start.

TheTick

Bethsoft announced that Kinect support for verbal commands is coming to Skyrim for X360...ever wanted to actually shout your Shouts?  Now you can.  PC users can try this mod (which I will be doing as soon as I get home).

TheTick

Honestly, I tried it on the PC last night, and it's kind of helpful.  I always forget to use the Shouts, and if I can use different ones just by speaking the right words, that's great.  Helps with immersion, too, as you don't have to pause and switch shouts.  Not so good if you are trying to disturb others nearby though.  Still, fun.