Chapter One, Part One: Fires over Brinestump

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The Rusty Dragon is as it always seems to be.  The smells of roasting meat burst forth from the kitchen whenever the door opens.  The crowd is rowdy, but not dangerously so.  Faraway, Owen, Horcrust, Geddy and S'Vith make an odd group, sitting at a corner table, poring over what little map there is of the Brinestump swamps.  Ameiko Kaijitsu, owner of the Rusty Dragon, leans against the wall nearby.  Spotting a potential problem, she stops one of the waitstaff and directs them over to a table on the other side of the tavern.  A potential scuffle is interrupted by the arrival of more ale.

The Elf Ranger Shalelu Andosana sits next to Faraway, frowning at the map.  A few seats over, Sandru Vhiski, the rogueish caravan owner, is telling an extremely off-color joke to Owen and S'Vith.  Koya Mvashti, an older Cleric of Desna and Sandru's caretaker when he was a boy, is next to Sandru, and appears asleep until she mutters a comment that turns the polite chuckles at Sandru's joke into roars of laughter.

As the laughter dies down, attention focuses back on the task at hand - figuring out the best way not to get killed in the swamp.

The point of this exercise is to introduce you to the plot-centric NPCs, and for you to get information about the swamp and the Licktoad goblins.  Shalelu would be most knowledgable about these but the others may chime in with relevant info when they have it.  Ask any questions you could think might be relevant to a group about to enter the swamp.  Re-read the Background thread if you haven't checked it recently.  And good luck!
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Phil

Owen listens to Sandru's disrespectful jokes with only feigned interest.  What's so funny about about a one-legged whore anyway?

Returning to Sandpoint has been a bit of a shock to the young paladin.  He had been eager to return to the town he grew up in, but he found it much different when he left.  So much has transpired here while he was in training.  It changes a town, just as it changes its people.  His emotions have never been more conflicted.

He glances over at Ameiko handling her patrons with grace.  Ever the peacekeeper.  Of her Owen is conflicted most of all.  He was happy to see her again, more happy than he was willing to let show.  And she hadn't taken a husband, even after these years.  Sarenrae knows she must have had offers.  She's as beautiful as ever.  Maybe more.

Even still, she's not the same girl he knew as a boy.  The snake tattoo on her arm is new, though the core of her has changed as well.  Hardened.  The adventures?  Perhaps, or maybe more recent events.  Owen has heard of what happened to her family.  Terrible business.  He wishes he had been here to help.  Though what good could I have done, foolish and clumsy boy that I was? 

He'd never have guessed she'd end up an innkeeper, but she's always did have a way of surprising you.  He looks back at his comrades, realizing he had probably been staring at her.  He winces.

TheTick

If Ameiko notices Owen staring, she chooses not to react.  She does move to refill a few ale mugs at the table, punching Sandru on the shoulder as she passes. "You used to tell GOOD jokes."

Shalelu pushes a few stray hairs back behind her long pointed ears and sighs. "I wish I could help more with this, but there's just not much known about the Brinestump marsh.  The Licktoad goblins call it home, such as it is, but there the tribe I've fought the least.  They don't have the numbers to raid even a small town, typically.  I'd wager that wherever they got those fireworks, it can't be too far away from where they live."

Pausing here for more questions/RP stuff
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

The druid shifts uncomfortably. Ameiko's cook certainly prepares delicious food, but Faraway is long unused to such decadent fare, and in such quantity. He tries to shake the lingering sugar rush from his head, but that only manages to shift around the food packed in his stomach. He suppresses a full-bellied groan, and completely misses Sandru's joke while attempting to focus on the map on the table.

Faraway frowns slightly at Shalelu's admission of a lack of information on the marsh. He still isn't quite used to the fact that the ranger does not know quite everything. The day the druid had set out with her years ago, Shalelu seemed as wise as Desna herself.

Perhaps, instead of searching the marsh for the goblins' camp, we could bring the goblins to us. They have been attacking caravans, correct? If we disguise ourselves as merchants on the road, it might be an easier task to defeat the ambush and follow the fresher tracks back to their camp.

Faraway glances at Shalelu before swiftly adding:

Not that I am against exploring the marsh for several days searching for the camp. However, not all of our party might be up to the task.

As he finishes, he nods toward Geddy.

TheTick

"While that might work to thin their numbers a bit, I doubt Chief Gutwad will be a part of the raids.  It's said he's so grossly fat - for a goblin, anyway - that a goblin dog can no longer carry him into battle.  I'm personally interested in finding out where they found those fireworks, myself."   She looks at the map again and shakes her head.  "You know, I forgot to put a scale on this.  The Brinestump is only 2 miles long and a mile wide at the widest point.  No stroll in the park, but not a month-long slog either."

Shalelu sketches a few more lines, representing the Soggy River - and a path. "There are fishermen who swear by some fishing holes in the swamp, and there's a path they've beaten partway into the marsh that's relatively safe.  There's even someone that lives at the end of it, what was his name Koya?"

The old woman stirs, and says "Walthus something.  Proud...stone?  Stump?  Some damn thing.  He's a halfling.  Came into some money, and a shady merchant fella sold him a shack in the middle of the marsh.  But he loves it!  He was after privacy, and he's sure got it there.  Keeps snakes as pets, or so the fishermen say."  Koya laughs. "But they say there's a witch that lives in the marsh too so I don't know that i'd believe 'em!"

I'll post a map later, just need to edit it a bit.

SpamHead

Well maybe they do have fireworks, but even so there is not any reason we can't just go down there and kill them all. After all, I  have some fireworks of my own!

TheTick

Sandru laughs loudly. "You've got guts, lad, I'll give you that.  I just hope the witch doesn't eat 'em up!"   He winks and laughs some more.

SteveRogers

S'Vith laughs racously and claps Sandru on the back. "Vulgarities.  All a day in the life for you, eh?"

S'Vith turns to Shalelu.  The elf who had once rescued him from a tribe of ravenous spiders when S'Vith was still a novice adventurer.  They'd been hired to track down the lost child of dignitary of the Gnomes.  Such an easy task should not have been so dangerous.  But that was the way of the world these days.  They'd found the child trapped in the woods.  As S'Vith had approached the girl on his own, foolishly, he was ambushed by four of the elephantine spiders who populated the wooded area.  Knowing better than to cry out, S'Vith turned to fight.  But then the girl screamed.  S'Vith turned and took up the small child and took flight, closely followed by two of the spiders.  Unbeknownst to S'vith, the other two spiders had quickly taken to the trees.  They dropped down in front of him while the other two still chased behind.  S'Vith was trapped.  He hugged the young girl to his chest and prepared to do combat with just the one hand.  It was then Shalelu intervened.  Each spider fell in succession with not enough time between kills for their comrades to realize what was going on.

Since that day, S'Vith had been indebted to her, and they had often traveled together.  S'Vith turns to her, "What do you think?  Swamps are generally easier than woods, ay?"  He nudges her and smiles.

TheTick

Shalelu gives S'Vith a very un-Elven grin and says, "It mostly depends on whether you prefer arachnids to reptiles."

SteveRogers

S'Vith laughs boisterously.  "Mayhaps our good friend Faraway would like to chime in.  I'm sure he has something to say on the matter?  He's heard the story enough."  S'Vith grins wide enough to cause his beard to move slightly.

TheTick

The attached map is about all you know of the Brinestump at this point - you'd be approaching it from the North, and the path you see there is the 'New Fish Trail' that has been mentioned.  The X at the end denotes Walthus's shack.  Anyone with an alternate plan to heading in head-first can continue to discuss it, just wanted to show you what was described.  In case it's tough to see, each square on that map is 300ft.

Porteiro

Jed's convalescence was over.  He was fully healed.  At least, that's what Koya Mvashti kept telling him, but he was not fully convinced.   Yes, he was an old hobbit now -- he wasn't supposed to be as strong as he used to be.  It had been fifty years since he and his young bride Lucy had come through this area, back before Sandpoint even had a name, on their way homesteading. 

It was three months ago that Lucy died, along with every single man, woman, and child in his clan, in his entire community.  The plague killed every single one of them.  Every one except for Jed.  A trader had come by and found an entire town full of dead people except for Jed, who had been in bed waiting to die.  Jed had begged him to let him stay and die with his town, but instead Jed was picked up bodily and carried all the way to Sandpoint where Koya had cared for and helped heal him.

Something in the trauma of  this had broken open something inside of him, Koya had helped him to understand.  He was now what she called an "oracle", able to draw power from the stars that he had always loved so much.  This is why he hadn't died, she explained.  Without realizing it, he had used these newly developing powers to keep himself alive while everything he cared about died around him.  If only he had understood what was happening, maybe he could have saved them!  If only... 

Jeddy punches a wooden beam in frustration, deriving grim satisfaction at the pain it gives him.  He didn't deserve to live a comfortable life.  That was in his past.  Old as he was to be starting, he was an "adventurer" now.  With his new powers, he could do some good.  Help some people.  Or he could fail, and finally join his darling Lucy.  Either was fine.

---

"Let's go talk to this swamp hobbit first," Jed recommends to the group.  "He might not know what we're hoping to find out, but he'll certainly have a better idea than we do.

Phil

"Your plan has merit, Faraway.  I for one do not relish the idea of slogging through a swamp in my armor."

He looks down at his scale mail, neat and polished.  Not as cumbersome as plate, perhaps, but still somewhat clumsy to move in.

"Though I was taught that goblins rarely do what you are expecting them to.  Perhaps the direct approach would be better.  As Shalelu says."

The paladin considers the ranger.  The elf had always seemed magical to Owen as a kid.  When she visited town, the local boys all tried to get a peak of her.  So exotic and deadly.  Now the boy has grown into a man, but she still looks as the same pretty young woman.

"I am ready to answer this threat.  As Jed says, let us meet this halfling at once."

Lotofsnow

"Then it would seem we are decided. The direct route often is the best, if not the most interesting. No matter. I have always wanted to explore the depths of Brinestum marsh."

TheTick

After an early breakfast at the Rusty Dragon, the group of would-be adventurers sets out for Brinestump Marsh.  A passing farmer offers you a ride, and so you end up sitting in a hay-strewn cart as it bumps down the Lost Coast Road.

The farmer stops his cart at a turn in the road.  A few of you took advantage of the ride to nap, and have to be prodded awake.  Looking west, you see a wide footpath from the road towards the marsh, which narrows until it disappears between a pair of large cypress trees.  The smell of the brackish water is strong.  You pause just inside the cypress trees to let your eyes adjust to the dim light that filters through the canopy above.

Spoiler: ShowHide
This is a good time to come up with a marching order for entering the marsh.  Also, assuming everyone has at least the standard adventuring gear - you may not need much here on this short little jaunt, but just in case...