Chapter One, Part One: Fires over Brinestump

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotofsnow

Faraway nods.

"I see now. Yes, a caravan is a wise decision. I will assist in any way I can."

SpamHead

"Brinewall..." Horcrust mutters before speaking up "That is much farther than I ever dreamed of traveling, but if the rest of you guys go, there won't be anything keeping me here anymore. I'm in!"

TheTick

Shalelu gives Horcrust a grin.  "That's the spirit!"
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Phil

Owen feels conflicted.  On one hand, here is Ameiko inviting him along on her important journey.  Something he should be quite pleased about.  He will get to be with her, to protect her from harm.  To keep her safe.  Like he couldn't years ago, when she left town last as a young woman.  That time, years ago, Owen had not even known she was leaving.

But being invited like this, as merely one of a group, is painfully impersonal.  As if he is a mere acquaintance, like the dwarf or the sorcerer.   

Not much more than a hired guard, in truth. Shall I negotiate a monthly wage?  He thinks bitterly.

But then he looks back at Ameiko, waiting for her answer.  He shakes such thoughts out of his head.  You call yourself a man, to nurse hurt feelings like some school boy?  If you are a man, act as one.

"I will accompany you on this quest, my lady.  I swear that no harm will come to you, so long as I draw breath."

SpamHead

"So far we seem to be in agreement. We take this caravan to Brinewall to learn whatever secret is in the legendary Warding Box and learn of Ameiko's great and ancient heritage"

Horcrust speaks of it as an epic adventure, not knowing how appropriate it is.

SteveRogers

Oddly quiet up to this point, S'Vith chuckles.  "What business any of this be of mine?"

TheTick

Quote from: SteveRogers on March 15, 2013, 10:07:38 AM
Oddly quiet up to this point, S'Vith chuckles.  "What business any of this be of mine?"

Shalelu leans in conspiratorially, "What, exotic food and ales aren't enough for you?"
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SteveRogers

S'Vith grins.  A grin larger than most in the room have ever seen his face produce.  "Consider my dissent revoked.  I'll cast my lot in with you all once again."

TheTick

Quote from: Phil on March 15, 2013, 09:56:53 AM"I will accompany you on this quest, my lady.  I swear that no harm will come to you, so long as I draw breath."

Ameiko smiles.  "Owen, I knew I could count on you."

Porteiro

Still subdued from the experience he had waking up this morning, Jeddy doesn't say anything until everybody else has already spoken, and everybody is looking at him.  But it wasn't their fault that he had forgotten his family, so he pushes down the guilt, puts on a smile, and answers.

"Amiko, I thank you very much for inviting me.  I understand your desire to feel a connection with your family.  That is something we all need.  There is nothing I would rather do at this time than help you achieve that."

TheTick

Koya, knowing something of Jeddy's pain reaches over and pats the halfling's hand.  Ameiko is visibly relieved, and continues speaking, "With that being settled, let me fill you in on the details - since we all have useful skills, we will all have tasks to do on the trip.  Sandru would've had to hire more workers anyway, for the longer trip.  I will be providing 2000 gold pieces to improve the state of the caravan.  If you wish to add to that, you may.  There are a couple of days worth of preparations yet to make, so you have that much time to buy anything you need and take care of your affairs in Sandpoint."

Sandru adds, "Please let me know what skills you might have that I'm not aware of - for instance, cooks are welcome - and we can hire to fill the gaps.  If you think of any further questions, I'll be at the Dragon when not around town on caravan business."

With perfect timing, Ameiko's servants bring out a dessert course.

SpamHead

Avoiding eating any sugary desserts, Horcrust says "I know something about dealing with people and could probably make some money for the caravan trading, I've heard that is the entire point of a caravan. Except for this one of course."

TheTick

Quote from: SpamHead on March 17, 2013, 10:01:11 AM
Avoiding eating any sugary desserts, Horcrust says "I know something about dealing with people and could probably make some money for the caravan trading, I've heard that is the entire point of a caravan. Except for this one of course."

Sandru smiles wickedly.  "I don't plan on losing money, my boy.  I know you sorcerous types are often good with people.  I would welcome any assistance you can provide in these matters."

Phil

QuotePlease let me know what skills you might have that I'm not aware of - for instance, cooks are welcome - and we can hire to fill the gaps.

"I have learned enough working at the Two Knight's Brewery to be able to cook a fair meal.  Simple stock though, nothing like what Miss Ameiko can do with her spices and delicate preparations.  I would not count on it as a regular vocation...  At the temple I was also taught a fair amount about tending to wounds and injuries.  Setting splints, sewing stitches, and the like."

"My skill at arms will be my primary usefulness, I suspect."  Owen looks a little sheepish to admit.