Old Video Games You Love

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

That's nostalgia talking.  I'll grant that FF7 was a milestone product, and made excellent use of FMV when it was new (for consoles, at any rate).  It just doesn't hold up.  I have it but feel no desire to play it again, ever.  Whereas I LOVE playing 6 and 4 and make a point of getting back into them at least once a year.  The actual gameplay is a lot more fun in 6, even if it's sprites and not horribly pixelated polygons.

Though a true remake of FF7, with modern-looking characters but that story might work well now.  It's not like people haven't been asking for that for a decade or anything.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

El Seed

I remember a friend of mine playing one of the FF games on his PS1. When he went to the bathroom, he put a deck of cards on the action button. It would just go through a battle without any decisions whatsoever.

But it was pretty, at least.
First: Never stand in back of a cow!

TheTick

Some people felt you needed to grind levels in some, which may have been what he was doing.  I never encountered that in FF6.  I think in the first playthrough, I stumble around enough to gain just the right amount of levels.  And since I'm a completist, the act of scouring every dungeon and town for loot covers the rest.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Sputnik314

Why hasen't anyone mentioned metal slug yet? It's beast!

TheTick

Never played any games in that series...by the time those were coming out, I didn't go to arcades any more (hated feeding in all the quarters), didn't have a Neo-Geo, and skipped the Sega and original Playstation.

SteveRogers

The original Playstation was my first game system.  I did get a Gameboy Color around then sometime too I think, and I still use it sometimes to play older Pokemon or Zelda games.  I discovered the other day when I tried to trade a Pokemon from Yellow to Red, however, that I've misplaced my Gameboy Link Cable.  *hangs head*   :'(

TheTick

Technically, the Atari 2600 was my brother's, my first gaming system was a NES.  Played plenty of games on the various computers we had, though, starting with the VIC20, C64/128, TRS-80 and so on.  My grandfather used to by junk at auctions, and he found a bunch of old gaming consoles we played at their house, like Intellivision, Colecovision, stuff from that era.  Had an original black and white GameBoy, but never ended up getting a new portable system until the DS Lite.  Which I've misplaced. :(

Lotofsnow

First game I ever beat was Street Fighting Man on a Tandy 1000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o71UHYiQqs Such a bitchin' soundtrack and overt racism.

2nd game was probably The Black Cauldron on the same system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1YEC5gyzbE

3rd? The amazing, irreplaceable, Defender of the Crown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMr2z_GNzKM The modern version does it no justice.

Then came the game where the name Lot was born. My first true RPG, Hero's Quest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDe04HSP_4 I loved that game. Still do. So epic. I had hand-drawn maps of where each screen was. I still hum the theme and it has been like 20 years. Seriously, play it.

TheTick

Hmm, first game I finished...tough to say, as many early games just went on and on and had scores.  We played the early text adventures (Scott Adams, not the Dilbert guy) mostly as a group so I can't count those as mine alone.  Never did finish Impossible Mission on the C64, though I think my brother did.  Contra, on the NES, might be the first I did by myself.

First RPGs...Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.  I was one of the ones who got DW free with Nintendo Power.  Definitely finished FF, DW I got pretty far in but lost interest.  Destiny of an Emperor was another NES RPG I finished, still love that.  Heck, love that setting, as the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is one of my favorites.

Lotofsnow

My best friend in kindergarten through 2nd grade got Dragon Warrior at some point during that period. I remember watching him play.

TheTick

Dragon Warrior, the game that taught me how to grind.  A Slime approaches!

Sputnik314

What about the game Pacman?  That game was one of the most popular.