Chapter One - Kassen Town Square

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakeesh

It wasn't much to him, really, not personally. Like many gnomes, Kirdo didn't have much in the way of roots. But the mayor was a good public speaker, and in spite of the knowing grins exhanged by some of the townsfolk over the whole affair, Uptal either respected the ritual well or faked it convincingly. Further, as best as he could tell, the story of Kassen was largely true, and Kirdo wasn't such a cynic that a story of heroism couldn't make him stand a bit straighter.

With some hesitation more to do with anxiety over the real beginning of his latest business plan than over speaking publicly, Kirdo took a small step as well. "Kirdo Dunritty of the Dunritty Rovers," he said in his high voice. Dunrittys had been moving through the surrounding regions in small numbers for centuries. "Here's to a warm winter and warm bellies to go with it," he added which for a ritual to retrieve flame was well enough. And only an indirect reference to his own ends.

Nighthawk

Dariel could have done without the attention.

"Dariel... Scout... I will ensure your flame is found and returned."

Lotofsnow

Maura steps forward, hand raised in a blessing of Iomedae.

"I, Maura Zita, undertake this journey in the honor and memory of my brother, Ikram Zita."

Scott R

Quote"...in memory of my brother, Ikram Zita."

Sandy starts, and feels heat rush to his face.  He hadn't known.  Or he had but had forgotten.  He casts a quick look at Maura, then subtly makes the sign of the god of travel behind his back, in honor of Ikram's journey beyond.

TheTick

Mayor Uptal listens to each youth speak, and nods to them as they finish.  Facing the crowd, he raises the lamp and now addresses them.  "This is the lamp which carries the flame.  For many years have we performed this task, honoring our founder, Ekat Kassen, and town has prospered."  Turning back to you, Mayor Uptal presents the lamp.  "Who will bear the lamp to Kassen's tomb and return it here safely?"
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Maura steps forward.

"Iomedae teaches that the struggle against darkness is a burden best shared among the righteous. In order to complete our journey, each of us must bear our personal burdens in addition to the weight of the task laid before us today. While to carry light into the darkness seems a happy burden, we are taught that those that bring light to the dark are often the target of any jealous evils the darkness might shroud.

"With that in mind, each of my gallant companions will doubtless add the burden of the light to their own before the journey is done. Strangers though we are right now, through sharing the burden of the light, we will forge a bond. Our example of community, as well as the light we bring together, will keep the village safe through winter.

"I offer to carry this burden for a time, but only with the faith that I will not carry it alone."

Scott R

When Maura takes the lantern, Sandy slides shoulder-to-shoulder with her— well, almost, because he's a bit shorter than her- and lightly places a hand beneath the arm holding the lantern.

His smile says everything he needs to say.

Rakeesh

Kirdo's eyebrows raise just slightly-Maura and Sandy, it seems, don't have the faintly amused attitude with respect to this ritual that some in the town did. He wasn't sure if that boded well for an enjoyable few days or a more somber affair, but either way he would see new places and partake in a small way with the broader history of the region, which was pleasant to contemplate.

That wasn't the same as being enthusiastic, however, nor of injecting himself into what seemed like something personal for the formidable priestess...preacher...sage...human religious titles didn't come easily to Kirdo-there were so many-but he stood where he was and tried to look suitably uplifting and helpful.

TheTick

After the lantern exchange is done, Uptal hands each of you a backpack with supplies for the journey. He once again speaks to the townsfolk. "I present to you the brave heroes who will follow in Kassen's footsteps to retrieve the Everflame! Some of them may not return, but I say to you that their sacrifice shall not be forgotten. Go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire." With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen's tomb. The townsfolk begin waving goodbye with cold, solemn looks on most of their faces.

Each backpack contains 5 days' worth of rations, a small tent, a winter blanket, a full waterskin, and a piece of the Trail Map.  Split between them also:  50 feet of hempen rope, a box containing tinder and three tindertwigs, a labeled potion of cure light wounds, three torches, a grappling hook, and a small bottle of local brandy.

Any of you who specified mentors in town, they hang back for a moment in case you want a final chat before you leave.  You also notice that Cygar, a human renting a room at the Seven Silvers for the past few months, was watching all of you with interest.  He clears out with the rest of the cloud.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Rakeesh

For all that Kirdo had ventured alone into the wider world many times, though not nearly as often the wilderness per se, there was something a bit sobering about being one-quarter the focus of so many faces, the people of Kassen whether a question of getting into the spirit of things or not, looking almost grim. But he didn't take it to heart, taking the supplies from the mayor with a nod and carrying his gear over to Hauler to begin stowing it. It was a small thing, but as a gnome Kirdo couldn't carry much, not without a swig of something special, so there was an added pleasure to be light on his feet and yet still have plenty of...stuff, really, still in his possession.

Once that was done, and if there were no other draws on his attention, he made his way to the Silvers to say his farewells to the two he knew best in Kassen, and also for a slightly anxious reminder to the innkeeper to leave the stoppered barrels and the small keg alone, he was a brewer and an alchemist, not a magician, and they would be ready when they would be ready.

Scott R

Jimes looks...uncharacteristically preoccupied.  "Be careful, Tippenroe."

Sandy sets his backpack down on the ground and begins rearranging the contents. Whoever had packed it had put the trail bread underneath everything. "Hmm?"

"Got a feeling is all."

"'A feeling.'"

"Yeah.  Storm sense, whatever.  Something's off.  Be careful."

Sandy eyes the halfling.  "You're as bad as Jendo Talkington.  He told me that they sacrifice the youngest member of the group every year, and that's why everyone wears black."

"Talkington believes his mother is a centaur.  I am telling you...be careful."

"Worry-wort."

"You make me a lot of money.  Hate to see you in some goblin's pot."

"Well, if you do, come rescue me."  Sandy laces the ties to his pack and shoulders it.  He pats himself down to make sure he hasn't forgotten his tools, his daggers, the little crossbow Da had given him.  "It's going to be fine."

"Hmph." Jimes looks to where the others are gathering, then back to Sandy.  "Well?  You going to go?  Or you want a goodbye kiss?"

"And make your goats jealous?  See you in a couple days, Short Change."

Sandy saunters away.

Lotofsnow

Maura lifts her backpack, appreciative of its weight. It seems they did not skimp on the supplies, she thinks, impressed. Seeing Sandy go through the contents of his bag, she checks her own for a map. Finding it, she stuffs into a pouch on her belt.

Slinging the bag over her shoulder, lamp in the opposite hand, she retraces her steps to the stable. Impressed again, she finds her mule well brushed, repacked, and waiting by the gate. The stable girl looks at Maura jealously until her eyes fall upon the lamp in her hand. The girl's grey-eyed gaze shifts from jealously, to wonder, and settles on steely resolve.

With practiced ease, Maura lashes the backpack to the packsaddle, shifting a few things out and into other saddlebags to make sure everything remained balanced. Then, she unties the cloak that, until this point, had kept the wind from slipping into the various gaps in her armor like a team of assassins. Finally, after stuffing the cloak into a leather bag in the pack, Maura removes a spear from the trio tied across the saddle.

Maura takes the mule's lead from the stable girl using the hand that holds the lamp. She catches a slight flinch in the girl as the lamp accidentally brushes her hand.

"Your time will come," Maura says. She hands the girl the spear. "Here. Until then, practice with this."

With the fall sun glinting off the scales of her armor, Maura turns her back on the stable and leads her mule to the town square, lamp cradled against her side.

"I am ready to depart once we all are."

Rakeesh

There was nearly a fight with Asina Silvers, who had a much more important matter to discuss than fermentation: the injustice of an apathetic gnome getting to participate when she, only two summers younger than Tippenroe, hadn't even been allowed to offer. "You don't care about the Everflame, and you're only even in Kassen a week or so a month!" Trelvar wisely kept out of it, knowing that his daughter wasn't truly invested in this specifically, and also having heard plenty of grousing already.

A sharp look from Kirdo took some of the budding insolence from Asina's tone. It was easy for the larger races, especially when young, to default to an attitude of superiority as of adults speaking to children. "It's going to be mostly camping in the woods, Ms. Silver," he said in a tone that invited her to similar courtesy. "And we both know how much you love that," he said with a smirk. "But if you want to go mucking about in dead leaves looking for new materials with me, perhaps your father would relent."

Asina shuddered, and looked a little cross at this manipulation, but also a little amused. "Fine, fine!" she said, throwing up her hands and sighing. "But if anything happens I want to hear everything," she demanded. Trelvar looked relieved that his daughter appeared to be taking it well, and Kirdo nodded his assent, making his farewells.

A few minutes later, standing with the others after unhitching Hauler, he was grousing to Sandy after sorting his supplies. "Can you believe this?" he said, gesturing with the bottle of local brandy. "Horse water," he said with a sniff. "When we get back there will be work to be done if they're giving out this."

Nighthawk

Dariel didn't even flinch when the Mayor poses the question; if this group was to survive, Dariel knew he'd have better things to do than carry a lamp. If the group knew what was best for them, someone more appropriate would volunteer. As Maura takes the lantern, he gives a subtle nod of approval.

The bag was heavier than Dariel was use to, but he accepted it without commentary. He only assumed they packed items that he wouldn't need, but didn't want to seem ungrateful and discard them in the presence of their benefactors.

He was not without his share of concerns... He knew little about this group, and although he had no doubt he would lead them without incident to the tomb, he wasn't exactly sure what they would find within. He hoped that they would be tested along the way, not only so that he can show that he's capable enough to be the group's guide but he needed to know what the group was capable of as a whole. If they didn't fare well the first time they encounter any form of danger, it didn't bode well for whatever awaits them inside the crypt.

"Finish any business you may have. We're done here... Time to move."

Lotofsnow

As Dariel urges haste, Maura recalls the map piece in her belt pouch. Unfolding it, she holds it to get the best light of the sun.

The map is cruder than those she studied in Skelt.

"I think this is the village here, and this..." she trails off, squinting to make sense of it.