Chapter 3 Days 2 and 3 - More of the Same

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

(going to fast forward a bit here - just pretend you've slogged through the jungle for another whole day)

At the morning of day 3, everyone is tired of the thick jungle terrain they are traveling through.  The bugs and the thick mud near the solution holes are particularly bothersome.  No one is happier than Bigsby when the muck starts to thin out and be replaced with sand.  Something about being closer to the ground than everyone else.

After a quick midday meal, the crew walks farther along the particular game trail they'd been following.  Through the more and more frequent gaps in the trees, a series of sand dunes can be seen in the distance.  The relative calm of the day is broken when a javelin lands at Yiki's feet, causing him to jump back.  Just ahead, a lizardman is standing, another javelin at the ready.  In heavily accented common speech, he says "STOP!  Who are you and where are you going?"

What to do, guys?
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SteveRogers

Bigsby steps in front of his companions, between the javelin and his friends.

"Fine, sir?  I  be Bigsby Babblesforth, and these be my friends.  We mean you no harm.  Might I inquire as to why you be pointing spears at harmless travelers through these parts?"

Diplomacy 1d20+6 : 15 + 6, total 21

TheTick

The lizardman lowers the javelin.  "Patrol.  Humans, not from this tribe - " he gestures towards Seawell " - come and attack my people.  Build a camp near the beach.  May have hurt lighthouse family." He pauses for a moment.  "Good people, always trade for meat from our hunters, not care we not humans."
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Oh, hey! exclaims the barbarian. Weren't we supposed to check some "lighthouse family?" Maybe these lizard things can lead us there.

SteveRogers

Wincing at Yiki's exclamation, "Aye, my good sir.  My frien's and I have been hired to look into the lighthouse.  It seems the trade has stopped.  Might you have heard anythin' about this?"

TheTick

The lizardman makes a clicking sound with his mouth, and hisses quietly.  "New human tribe on beach killed three of our hunters.  Maybe they do something?  Our leaders have kept us away for two cycles of the moon, cannot afford to lose more hunters."  He gestures further down the path. "Will show you path to lighthouse but must go back to tribe after.  Tell them you are here and not to kill you."  He bares his teeth at this last part.  A smile?  He walks over and jerks his javelin free from the ground, staring down Yiki all the way, then begins walking further toward the lighthouse path.

SteveRogers

Bigsby sighs in relief.

Turning to Yiki, he quietly hisses, "Aye, my frien'.  I know you to be a master with a blade, but ye be a fool with words.  With nary a thought of the culture of this fine gen'lemen's culture, you just nearly got us killed."

With a wink, Bigsby nudges Yiki in the ribs with his elbow.  "Best to leave the words to me, aye?"

Bigsby turns to follow the lizardman, saying to the rest of his companions, "Shall we?  It likely be a sign of disrespec' to refuse such a gener'us offer."

TheTick

The lizardman simply grunts and heads off on one of the game paths.  It's a rough one, and Bigsby is practically running to keep up, but within a couple of hours you've reached a much clearer road. "That way to lighthouse.  Not too far.  Watch for other humans.  And crocodiles."  He bares his teeth again, and walks off on a side path, in the direction he gestured for his tribe.

You may continue on now, unless you have any further questions or preparations.

Sputnik314

By any chance have you ever seen a black pearl with a yellow mark on it?

TheTick

"Black pearl?  Never seen one."

really wanted to say "Isn't that a ship?"

TheTick

The pearl question answered, Yiki leads the group down the wider path the lizardman pointed out to them.  After a few hours, the path gets sandier, the trees thin out and the brush gets scrubbier.  Soon it looks more like a beach than a forest, with a large sand dune all that's between the group and the ocean.  The climb up the dune is difficult, but Yiki soon calls out "There's the lighthouse!" and sure enough, the top of the structure is coming into view.  The trip down the dune is much easier, but the group pauses for a moment when Taggart points out a strange wooden tower a bit farther away, on the beach.  Making a note of the direction of the tower, the group circles the lighthouse until the door is found.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Anybody want to do something other than just go in?  Now's the time!

pooka

Imfei looks around and sniffs the air.  I've got a bad feeling about this. 

SteveRogers

"Aye.  As do I.  Straight into the lighthouse?  Or shall we investigate tha' tower nearby first?  Aye.  Under no circumstances shoul' we split up either.  Always goes south."

TheTick

Lotofsnow

We came for the lighthouse, so let's search the lighthouse.

The barbarian unslings his battleaxe.