A question for the mighty Tick

Previous topic - Next topic

Derrell

I want to get more into pen and paper  RPGing, but am a total noob.  Yu saw what happened the last time I played.  How  long was I on that floor one hit point away from death?  I've been reading our new aadventure and would like to ge in on the  next one.  How do I  get more exerience when I don't have anyne in my area to help me?

TheTick

My goal with the adventure here was to create a noob-friendly place to learn how to play (and for me to learn how to DM).  I'd be happy to add you to this game after this adventure is over, I've built in a hook to the next adventure with the place the group was travelling to.  Could easily slip another Player Character in then, especially if someone needs to drop out.  If someone wanted to DM another game, that would be doable too, I just don't want to commit to a second until I've got things down for sure.

Beyond here, I've found the games hosted at the Giant in the Playground forums (where the Order of the Stick comic is) are excellent, and I found a noob-friendly DnD 3.5E game to play in there quite fast.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

And as an aside - being down to 1hp wasn't a bad thing.  Yeah, the rolls weren't going your way, but you were still useful by soaking up damage and attention that might've gone to the squishier characters.  Tanking and aggro for the MMO players out there.  Same ideas apply.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Derrell

Cool.  Is there a character creation tool that uses 3.5 rules?  I'll definitely need help with creation.  What type of caraccter would you most likey want to add? It ended well, so it's all good.

TheTick

Indeed!  There's a bunch of helpful discussion on building characters, software you can use, and the link in the Character Creation thread.  PCGen is the best program to use to create characters for this game, as it sticks to the Core books, which is all the stuff you can access online for free via the SRD.  There's an Excel sheet out there called HeroForge that is pretty awesome, but it has a lot more than we need for all this since it covers all of the add-on books.  As for what class, I'm open to anything.  There's an abundance of pummeling power, and one blaster wizard.  No rogue or cleric, but it's really up to you.  These low-level adventures aren't trying THAT hard to kill you.