Chapter One - Kassen Town Square

Previous topic - Next topic

Nighthawk

"Nothing to see here...", Dariel mutters. "He should have known better than to venture out here alone. Let's move on. Stay sharp."

Scott R

"Why hasn't anything come along to drag it off?" Sandy wonders aloud. "Those wolves were starved half to death— this would have made an easy meal.  Something's wrong here."

He sweeps his free hand around to indicate he means more than just the immediate area. "Not saying i think we should stick around.  Just that...er...this is...wrong," he finishes.

Lotofsnow

"Good question," says Maura as she wrinkles up her nose at the body. Then, after a shake of her head, she continues, "But I think they are best answered at another time. We do have a task." She turns to Dariel, "I agree we should move along, and quickly. Do you know which direction we must take?"

TheTick

After consulting the map pieces again, you set off from the Gray Lake and follow a rough path back into the forest at a different spot. 

The trail leads ever deeper into the Fangwood, through a twisting maze of trees and confusing ravines. As it tops a small rise, a broad valley spreads out before it, the opposite side of which looks like a writhing serpent. Yet between the two lies a steep hill sloping down into the valley. During the three hour trek to reach it, a cold rain starts to fall, making the ground slick and treacherous.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Scott R

Sandy says, "Wet ground and a steep hill. I wish I'd thought to bring a couple boards to make a plank sled."

He fishes in his pack for his rope and ties it off to a convenient tree trunk. "Who wants to go first?" he asks.

Lotofsnow

Maura eyeballs the slope and looks at her mule and then at her companions.

"I suggest I tie my rope around one of you at a time. As you guide yourselves down on Sandy's rope, I can hold my rope up here and provide some security, using the tree as leverage. It is a slow process, but I would prefer to avoid any further injury. Then, I can hopefully do the same for the mule."

Scott R

OOC: How far down is this steep hill anyway?  My rope is only 50' long.

TheTick

Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Scott R

"You're going to lower a mule down by yourself?" Sandy asks. There's no skepticism in his voice; just curiosity.

Lotofsnow

Maura shrugs.

"Unless you have a better idea. I'd prefer not to leave it up here. There are hungry wolves about after all. And... other things, as we saw earlier today."

Scott R

Sandy wipes the rain out of his eyes and says, "Let me scout a bit and see if there's a better route down."

Stealth +7 1d20+7 : 18 + 7, total 25

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 13 + 9, total 22

Survival +2 1d20+2 : 7 + 2, total 9

TheTick

Unfortunately, Sandy finds no improvement to the descent anywhere within walking distance.

Scott R

Sandy reports back to the others, his blonde hair dark and sticking to his face from the rain, "Looks like this is our road.  Come on, let's get down it before the valley becomes a lake."

OOC: Sandy will go first if no one else volunteers.

Acrobatics +7 1d20 : 20, total 20

Lotofsnow

Maura holds an end of her rope up to Kirdo and Dariel.

"Well, if you want some extra security, let me know. I'll descend last."

Scott R

ETA:  Rats.  Need three rolls. 

Sandy laughs as he careens down the hill.  "Easy as walking down the street!" he calls up to the dawdlers at the top of the hill.

Acrobatics +7 1d20+7 : 5 + 7, total 12

Acrobatics +7 1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23