Character Build Collaboration.

Previous topic - Next topic

Porteiro

I feel like I've given y'all the wrong impression  with my term "cult".  He is (was) just a charismatic leader of a tight-nit, insular group.  That group consists of his children, grandchildren,  great-grandchildren, and their spouses.    He was their patriarch throughout the decades continued to lead, guide and care for the family with fairness and generosity.  Anybody who wanted to leave could, but most stayed, (or returned, after venturing out to find spouses) because they loved/respected/enjoyed the community and its leader.

He didn't have "cultists", he had a large extended family consisting of his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  And now they are all dead.

Lotofsnow

SpamHead

Yes I am still want to play a sorcerer, and will be posting later about more specifics with build specifics.

Porteiro

Both of the characters I'm considering have pretty much the same back-story.  Of course, one would have a high charisma, and the other a high wisdom, and that would change how they lived and led. 

I'm imagining the oracle's homestead community to be much bigger and therefore prosperous, where they've been able to make a comfortable home in an otherwise inhospitable countryside.

I'm imagining the cleric's community to be smaller, and for things to have been more difficult for them.  As such, my character is a little harder, hence somewhat of a "country preacher" vibe.

Even though he's a cleric, option #2 might not get along super well with other priests of his diety (whatever that ends up being).  He's been doing fine as a cleric on his own for over fifty years without your help after all, thankyouverymuch. 

Lotofsnow

Well, as Phil said, you should keep that stuff in mind and read through the player's guide for Jade Regent: http://jaderegent.peepersbog.org/background/Jade-Players-Guide-PZO90009E.pdf

Perhaps reading through that will give you a better sense of history for your character.

Starting in Sandpoint
The Jade Regent Adventure Path begins in the small town
of Sandpoint on the west coast of Varisia—but it isn't
going to stay there. The Jade Regent Adventure Path will be
leaving the comfortable town of Sandpoint before the first
adventure in the campaign is done. While your character
should be from the town of Sandpoint (or at least from that
region, if only to explain how your character established
his or her relationship with one of the four key NPCs), you
should avoid building in any long-term character goals that
require your PC to remain in town. The Campaign Traits
mostly encourage a sense of adventure and wanderlust
and a desire to see the world beyond Sandpoint, but part
of the responsibility for cultivating that mindset falls upon
you as the player. Remember that when you sign on to play
an Adventure Path, you're signing on for a specific story.
While you still have an enormous amount of freedom
in designing your character, if you focus your design
choices on ones that fit this Adventure Path's theme of
long journeys, you'll have a much more enjoyable and
rewarding experience in the end!

SpamHead

My sorcerer is probably going to be a type that lives a nomadic lifestyle in the wilderness, and has spells that would be useful in the wilderness he will probably have:

0th level: Acid splash(1d3 damage), Mage hand(5-pound telekinesis), Light(makes a object glow) and Resistance(+1 on saving throws on target)

1st level: Mount(riding horse 2hrs/level),Summon monster 1 (we all know what that does)

Elemental bloodline is what I have been thinking

Also he is Chaotic neutral, and though not heartless is not afraid to steal things (that is why he has Mage hand) and is also why he has a couple valuables namely a knife, about 30 gp and a couple worthless trinkets (eg. a small piece of quartz, a some odd bones or just a bit of metal)

Porteiro

You might want to re-think that "mount" spell.  It's useful in a few situations, but honestly, just owning a horse would be just as good in most situations. 

TheTick

Yes, while flavorful for someone who might be on their own, Mount is a tough sell for a level 1 sorcerer - you only have one other option.  Makes a lot more sense later, though, when you have 5 or 6 level 1 spells known (assuming you don't just buy a horse).
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

(though that's less of an issue with the Elemental bloodline's ray feature)
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SpamHead

Also how exactly are we generating attributes 3d6 for each stat then arrange them however you want is what I was thinking.

Phil

It's a 25 point buy, fairly generous for Pathfinder (which is a little different from 3.5E).

You can use this site or others for ease of allocation. 

TheTick

I am generous (during character creation), it's true. :D

Phil

It's kind of nice not to sweat over stats too much with a MAD class like Paladin and especially Monk.  It's hard with a 20 point buy to squeeze in what you think you need with some classes.

I still ended up assigning an 08 to WIS, but only because I really wanted the 14 CON.  My perception isn't going to be great, going to have to rely on others for that :).

TheTick

That's actually my thinking on it, since Pathfinder improved (but didn't completely solve) some of the MAD classes.  If you really WANT to gimp a stat, you can.

Phil

Yep.  My problem with my current stats is that I'm not sure I want to roleplay him as having below-average wisdom.

Lotofsnow's druid is pretty beefy, and we have the companion that can take some hits.  With that in mind maybe I'll put my CON at 13 and just plan on bumping it at level 4.

Edit:  Went ahead and made the change.  I think I like not having any tanked stats.