[PF] Pathfinder Adventure Path

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotofsnow

Hi! Pleasure to meet you as well.

Average kind of blows, but I suppose it makes sense. It would make even more sense to put it in the druid section of the Pathfinder SRD.

Ugh. That actually practically forces me to take toughness at first level for my Roc, since, looking at it again, it would have 7 HP without.

Lotofsnow

Lotofsnow

Oh, I see they have the animal companion hit point stuff on d20pfsrd (I actually played Tomb of Elemental Evil with the creator of that site while at Gen Con). I had been looking at the official Paizo srd site to make sure I stuck to core things.

SteveRogers

I've been thinking a dwarf who was a bare knuckle boxer might be kinda cool (if such things exist), but I'm woefully unsure how to approach building a sheet for such a character.

Phil

I'd probably build him as a STR heavy monk, which is actually one of the builds I've been throwing around for this game.  Except Human instead of Dwarf :).

There's also an Unarmed Fighter archetype, if you see yourself wearing armor.

SteveRogers

Hmmm.  I'll have to take a look.  Unless you were planning on using that of course.

Phil

Nah go for it, I've got lots of potential builds I'd enjoy playing.

Phil

Be aware, however, that Monk is one of the most difficult classes to build "correctly".  With a 25 point buy you can make a decent one, but there are lots of tradeoffs in balancing your STR/DEX/WIS/CON.  All four of those attributes are important, and your planned feats and styles are better depending on what balance you end up with.  With a Dwarf you'd probably want to swap some points around from where I've got them.

Now this is probably a "low optimization" game so its probably not worth it to stress too much about the build.  I'm the type of player who does, regardless :).

Edit:  I think as a Dwarf I'd probably go:

16 STR
14 DEX
16 CON
10 INT
16 WIS
08 CHA

It may be a better stat array for the build than my human's is, actually.

SteveRogers

I may just borrow that then.  :)  I'll have to take a look when I get home.  I've been using PCGen to build characters since I don't actually have any of the books available to me at home.

Phil

Cool.  There are two guides I've been referencing that could be helpful for you: Here and Here

I'd recommend reading Treatmonk's first, since it has only the "core" options and so is less confusing.  However, keep in mind when reading that he's kind of hard core munchkin.  I'd never suggest dropping your Int to 7, for instance.

The other has all the options from "ultimate combat" and the like, which adds tons of Monk options.  Sifting through them all is pretty tough, honestly.  If it helps, the build plan for that monk build I linked includes getting the Dragon Style feat chain down the road along with some more grapple feats.

Since I wouldn't want to submit a second Monk, I'll start thinking more seriously about the Paladin.  This leads me to a question:  Tick, how would you feel about my paladin being able to "Lay on Hands" on himself as a swift action, even if both his hands are occupied (sword and shield)?

I ask because I'd much rather wield a longsword & shield than my current setup, but that option is clumsy for action economy in trying to self heal.  That ends up making keeping one hand free and bashing people with the shield with two hands a better build.  I still think its kind of a goofy build and means worrying about finding magical armor spikes and such.

If its a problem, I may just go for a cookie-cutter Greatsword wielder.  It's boring, but classic and clean.

SteveRogers

Thanks for the tips, Phil.  You're a real stand up fellow.   8)

Lotofsnow

I forgot to leave a preference, so I'll go with ninjas.

Phil

I admit, seeing Sandpoint as a PC could be a lot of fun.

Porteiro

OK, I'm going with oracle. 

My character is an old man who was the patriarch of an extremely secluded village up in the mountains.  For many decades he presided over and helped care for an ever-growning community comprised entirely of his offspring and their spouses.   And then, some BAD THING (plague, orc attack, whatever) happened and wiped out the entire community, leaving him alone to bury the dead.  And after he did that, he laid down to die.

A trapper that sometimes visitied the village found him alone in the village on the brink of death.  He was unresponsive, so the trapper fashioned a litter, dragged in back to civilization, and left him in the care of some do-gooding god's temple.  He eventually convalesced, and came to the understanding that he had been mistaken -- he was not supposed to die up there with his family, his home, and everything he loved.

So now he is on a mission to find his proper death.  He knows it's out there, and he's using the small gifts that he used to protect and care for his home to find it.

I'm also thinking of either making him physically crippled in some way, like having an amputated leg, or make it so that he used to be crippled, but during his convalescence in the temple, they healed him of that handicap, giving him the ability to walk and work like a normal man for the first time in decades.

Phil

I forgot to include the Dwarf penalty to CHA, so this would leave you at 06 actually.  It is a dump stat for Monks, so if you aren't planning on socializing much this shouldn't be a huge deal.  I'd probably knock CON down to 15 or 14 if you aren't comfortable tanking CHA.

Edit:  Nevermind, I was right the first time.  I had included the -2 to CHA.