Interlude - On the road

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

As the travellers descend out of the hilly land around the former fortress, things start to look up.  The rocks give way to grasses and trees in short order, and the torrential rains have caused an explosion of growth along the road to Seawell.  Taggart scores points with the group at the midday meal by finding a blackberry bush with ripe berries, a welcome addition to the trail rations.

Further down the path, the trees thinned out, and the grassland became marshy.  Yiki pointed out a few pools hidden in the grass, with slide marks from crocodiles.  Zedric nodded nervously, and walked in the middle of the road from then on.  The animals ignored them, thankfully, and the air began to smell of saltwater as the group approached the coastal city of Seawell.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Just setting the scene a bit.  I have a RL friend that will join and play if Derrell doesn't respond.  You will all be fully healed once you reach the town, and I'll give you a breakdown of your XP and funds when the next turn rolls out.  Talk amongst yourselves for now!
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Sputnik314

Lotofsnow

Yiki sings a bawdy orc travel song making sure to translate the dirtiest parts into common for the benefit of his companions.

TheTick

The road winds through the marshy land, widening a bit as they get closer to the city of Seawell.  There is one tense moment as night draws close, as Yiki and Taggart spot a couple of carts off to the side of the road, with a fire.  It turned out to be a paegant wagon with a broken axle.  They invited the adventurers to stay overnight, and the night was spent singing ribald songs and drinking a spiced wine that packed a punch.

The next morning, the adventurers help the paegant folk fix their wagon and part company.  The morning's travel is quiet, blessedly, as most of the group is still feeling the hangover from the wine.  It is Quoth, Zedric's raven, that first alerts them that they are approaching the town.  As they approach, there are some disconcerting signs.  The grasses are tramped down in places, and there are scorch marks on the ground.

Still, the town itself seems none the worse for it, with a sturdy stockade running in a rough semicircle around the town until it reaches the sea.  The gate is open, and as you pass through it you are waved over to a rough table with a few armed men standing around.  The oldest one nods to you and begins to speak. "Welcome to Seawell.  I'm Guard Captain Kern.  Keep your weapons sheathed while in town, and we'll get along just fine.  The inn and tavern are straight ahead, and past that, the docks.  Left, the armorers and weaponsmiths, and to your right, the herbalist and what passes for a magic shop."   He seems to have you pegged as adventurers from the start, and is trying to cover all the typical questions.  "If you don't have any other questions..."

Spoiler: ShowHide
Well, if you have any questions, go ahead.  This can get some exposition out of the way while we get the new joiners squared away.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Yiki steps forward and rises to his full height, bringing his hand up to salute the captain of the guard, but realizing half way that his hand still contained the gleaming battleaxe he had liberated from the tomb. Sheepishly, he slips the haft into a loop on his belt before rumbling in rough common:

Guard Captain Kern, it is some pleasurable to have met your acquaintance. I am called Yiki Half-Moon and I intend to consume all the wares in your tavern. Because of your firm greeting, I will offer a gift from my adventuresome deeds.

The half-orc then proceeds to rummage around in his pockets, carefully searching for something quite specific.

TheTick

Kern's face shifts rapidly through emotions - at first impressed and relieved at meeting a well-spoken half-orc, then dismayed when he hears the bit about the tavern.  Took the innkeeper a week to fix all the furniture the last time there was a rowdy half-orc in town...

"Just make sure you can handle your liquor.  I've no time for brawling and the mayor even less time for a trial.  He might just throw you into the swamp for your trouble."   The last part is said in tone that implies it's a joke but perhaps only in part.

Lotofsnow

So intent is he on fishing through his pockets, it is unclear if Yiki even heard the Guard Captain's request. Finally, having discovered what he was looking for, the barbarian exclaimed, "AH HA!" Before slamming down something on the table in front of the soldier. Upon closer inspection, it appeares to be the very rigid finger of a hobgoblin.

You shall accept this gift from mighty adventuring, and I shall accept your gift of large bounties for battles won, good friend!

Proud of himself, the half-orc places his hands on his hips and grins toothily.

TheTick

Kern's loud laugh startles the other guards. "HA!  I like your style, but about all the bounty I can offer is to buy your first round at the tavern.  Trade's drying up here overland thanks to our recent troubles, and the ships are late arriving too."

Lotofsnow

Yiki's cordial, bellowing laughter in acceptance of the Guard Captain's offer of a round more or less drowns out the soldier's complaints for the half-orc.

TheTick

His spirits brightened, Kern claps Yiki on the shoulder and says "I really do need to be getting back to work, but I'll look for you in the tavern tonight for that drink."  He turns around and begins looking over some maps and charts.

pooka

Imfei completes her fortnight of ritual silence by singing a hymn of renewal. 
Im a lar shi fow ler kan shi wei...
That's french for roughly good.  It's an archaic dialect.