Turn 1: Once upon a jungle clearing

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The Galactic Republic is a vast nation spanning many star systems, including the planet of
Naboo. Jedi Knights serve as guardians and advisors to the Republic, for they are strong in
the Force. One such Jedi is Master Ali-Vor, a scholar who has come to Naboo to further the
training of his Padawan learner, Rann I-Kanu. Master Ali-Vor regularly assigns tasks to Rann,
who often enlists the aid of his friends.

Recently, Master Ali-Vor has been looking for smugglers who have been transporting rare
creatures off Naboo. He has asked all of you to look into reports that some of these criminals
are working out of a secret base near Theed, the capitol city of Naboo. Although Ali-Vor
doesn’t consider these rumors valid, he believes the investigation will be good training for
Rann, as well as an opportunity to test the resourcefulness of his friends.
After a few days of checking around and asking questions, you received information about
smugglers from one of Arani’s trusted contacts. The contact suggested you should investigate an
ancient shrine hidden in the nearby jungle. She sketched a crude map to the site and handed it
to Rorworr. Rorworr has used the map to lead you to near where the shrine can be found.

[DM]Just giving you a head start on what you are really up to.  By the way, when I have instructions or questions for you, I'll be putting them in this color.  Feel free to do something similar (as you've probably seen in the forum games at Sakeriver) if you have some out of character stuff.[/DM]
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

You left Theed hours ago. A thin mist clings to the ground, and the air is heavy with the
musty scent of jungle flowers. The air is still and quiet. Rorworr’s map indicates a clearing up
ahead, with the hidden shrine not far beyond it. As you approach the clearing, you spot a
speeder off to the side of the trail, crudely hidden in the foliage. You hear a growling sound
coming from the far side of it. Something is smashing into the speeder over and over again.
A few lights are still flickering in the speeder’s cockpit, suggesting its computer still has
power. What do you want to do?
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Megan

Arani glances around the clearing, drawing her blaster, and then turns to the others, speaking as quietly as she can.

"Well...looks like we're not the first ones here. I might be able to get some information from that speeder, if you guys can take care of whatever's beating the hell out of it."

Derrell

Galak draws his blaster.  "I agree that we should investigate the speeder."

TheTick

Just awaiting Nighthawk's and T_Smith's moves.

Nighthawk

"Agreed. Something does not sound particularly friendly over there, though. Be cautious."

Rann follows closely alongside Galak, keeping one hand on his lightsaber as they approach but doesn't take it out yet.

T_Smith

Rorworr agrees that investigating the speeder is a necessity, and growls his approval.

"Let me stay at a distance while it is investigated, so I can cover you."

Rorworr draws his bowcaster, keeping an eye out for anything else threatening.

OOC: Is taking cover and drawing a weapon considered 2 moves or 1?

TheTick

[OOC]You're fine.  You aren't in combat yet.  ;)[/OOC]

Galak and Rann approach the speeder, craning their necks to try and catch a glimpse of whatever is making that racket.  The noise stops for a moment, and then the creature leaps over the speeder and charges towards Rann.  He backpedals and ignites his lightsaber, bringing it into a defensive position.

Pausing here...anyone doing something other than attacking?  Otherwise I'll roll up the fight.  :)

Megan

Arani will stay back, and fire only if she gets a crystal clear shot (no sense in potentially hitting friends). She also wants to keep an eye on the surroundings, in case the owners of the speeder are nearby.

Also, do we have time to see what the creature looks like, and possibly recognize it, or is that only going to be possible post-combat?

TheTick

The creature is about 2.5 meters tall and has the teeth of an apex predator.  More than that you can't tell in the few seconds since it leaped at your companions.

Derrell

Galak's first instinct is to attack.  I'm not sure how the jedi and the wookie feel, but I say go ahead and roll the fight.

TheTick

I'll post the first round, if the other two chime in with something different, I'll tweak.  I just want to get it going!  :)  The way this 'fastplay' game normally works is for the enemies to go last, but I'm moving the critter up strictly for narrative purposes, FYI.

Rann sidesteps the creature's charge (1d20+4=12, miss) and manages to whip his saber around and catch it on the flank (1d20+3=20, hit, 6hp damage).  The predator's arcing leap turns into a tumble and it hits the ground rolling.  Galak levels his blaster at the creature and fires (1d20+4=17, hit, 7hp), burning away a mass of flesh on it's left shoulder.  Rorworr and Arani both shoot at the same time, with the massive bowcaster bolt missing high (1d20+2=5, miss) while Arani is deadly accurate (1d20+3=23, hit, 9hp), almost knocking the creature back to the  ground.  It manages to keep it's feet despite massive wounds.

round 2:  Rorworr is reloading, all others can act.

Rann adjusts the grip on his lightsaber and steps into a swing at the creature's midsection.  With the guidance of the Force, the blade nearly bisects the creature and it falls limp to the ground (1d20+3, hit, 8hp).  Everyone scans to the edge of the clearing and, seeing no further threats, relax just a bit.

TheTick

The friends gather around what's left of the creature, and Rorworr chimes in with a series of grunts and growls.

"It's a Veermok, one of Naboo's native predators.  Territorial, which may explain aggressive response."

He goes on to explain that they are prized for that territorial instinct, as they make excellent guard animals.

TheTick

Unless there are objections, I'll write up an inspection of the speeder (Megan, you wanted Arani to have a crack at the computer, yes?)

Nighthawk

"Charming little fellow..." Rann comments as he shuts off the lightsaber and slowly puts it away.

Rann superficially examines the speeder. "Arani, can you do the honors?" he says, gesturing at the cockpit. "You're far better with these things than I."