Wi-fi question

Previous topic - Next topic

Derrell

I'm  looking for an easy and inexensive way to set up wireless.  I mostly want  it for accessing Playstation network and for my kindle.

TheTick

Do you currently have high-speed internet at home, plugged right into your computer?  You'd need a wireless router (check the sales at Newegg.com or TigerDirect.com), and the typical home user shouldn't have to spend more than $40.  You want a wireless-N (or 802.11n) capable one, that can do WPA2 security.  PS3s, do they have built in wireless?  I don't know offhand.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Derrell

We do have DSL.  PS3's have an ethernet port and I thik tey have built in wireless.  Otherwise,, you can get an adapter.

Derrell

Are routers easy to install, or will animal sacrifices  be required? ;)

TheTick

Usually pretty darn easy.  Most have a CD that will guide you through it from your PC.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Derrell

TheTick

Derrell

Medialink - Wireless N Router - 802.11n - 150 Mbps - 2.4 Ghz - NEW Design w/ Internal Antenna
by Medialink

All the reviews   say it's   easy  to install  and durable.    It's also  cool looking. 8)

Derrell

Holy carp.  The company that made the router sent me an email thanking me  for buying it.  They explained the basics of installation.   :o

TheTick

Looks highly rated at Amazon.  Hope it works well for you. :D

Derrell

I just found out that  our DSL modem has wi-fi capability built in.  Thi after repeated failed attempts to get the modem and router to play nice . >:(  Anybody need a new router?

TheTick

You know, I never would've thought of that, as I have never had one come with that, but I DO know some companies have that.

rivka

Mine does, but it's part of why I got this particular one. I keep being in apartments where the best place to put a computer is too far from the only place(s) to put DSL jacks.
Good Kirk. Evil Kirk. The only difference between them: eyeliner.
- anonymous commenter on The Enemy Within

TheTick

You might be able to return it still, depending on what the restrictions are where you bought it.  Otherwise, toss it up on craigslist or eBay to get something back for it.

Ela

Quote from: rivka on February 28, 2012, 10:30:33 PM
Mine does, but it's part of why I got this particular one. I keep being in apartments where the best place to put a computer is too far from the only place(s) to put DSL jacks.

Mine did, too. It's the standard cheap model that ATT was sending out at the time we signed up for DSL. No special dispensations required. ;)