Section 4 - Getting the Shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

Yiki and Taggart lead the way through the northern passage carefully, weapons drawn.  The hallway is mostly dark, though there appears to be light coming from a room up ahead. The long stone hall ends in a stone chamber furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on which lie rusted implements of iron. Rain falls into the middle of the room from a shaft in the ceiling that must run all the way to the top of the tor. From the bottom of the shaft dangles a rope, swinging slightly. A drain in the center of the floor allows the water to escape, but old, dark stains suggest that it was used to carry away other fluids long ago.

Suddenly, from a doorway on the far side of the room step two burly humanoids. Each stands more than 6 feet tall and has feral eyes and flat facial features. With a roar, the two draw their weapons and charge!

Spoiler: ShowHide
Roll for initiative!  Or run and hide, that works too. *cough*Zedrick*cough*
HP Reminder:
Taggart:  7/10 hp
Yiki:  12/14 hp
Imfei:  11/12 hp
Zedric:  5/5 hp
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Rawr!

Rolled 1d20+2 : 19 + 2, total 21

pooka

Rolled 1d20-1 : 6 - 1, total 5

Excelsior!

Sputnik314

Taste the back of my crystal fist!
Rolled 1d20+2 : 2 + 2, total 4

TheTick

I went ahead and rolled for Zedric, since there's not much he can do anyway...

Yiki:  21
Hob1:  20
Zedric: 12
Hob2:  7
Imfei:  5
Taggart: 4

Yiki's up.

Lotofsnow

Before the two enemies can make their first move, Yiki instead leaps into action. Like a shot from a crossbow, he speeds across the room, his blade gleaming a sinister promise of certain carnage as he plows into the one directly in front of him.

Rolled 1d20+7 : 19 + 7, total 26

Rolled 1d8+6 : 3 + 6, total 9

OOC: 13 AC until next turn due to charge

TheTick

The Hobgoblin did not expect the intruders to charge straight at them, but it mattered little as the thought was his last.  Yiki's battleaxe smashed into the creature's ribcage with a sickening thud, killing it outright.

Zedric, you're up.

Nighthawk

Zedric is somewhat winded and spent, but he musters up the only thing he can think of doing. With a snap of his fingers, a burst of brilliant light flashes in to existence and hopefully blinding the creature.

Flare: Dazzles (-1 to attack rolls) one creature for one minute, DC 14 Fortitude save negates.

It has a 25' range, so I'll move forward as close as I need to get.

TheTick

Zedric's spell seems to have little effect on the Hobgoblin, who just growls low in his throat at the wizard.  He turns toward the Half-Orc that just killed his brother first, however and delivers a devastating attack that leaves Yiki reeling (HIT, -6hp).

6/14 for Yiki, ouch.  Need Imfei, then Taggart and Yiki again please!

pooka

Imfei draws her longsword. 
Rolled 1d20 : 14, total 14
  "Die, scum!"
And I don't have acrobat set up on this computer, I hope I haven't left anything off my attack specification.  Please PM me if I did, I get notices on my email which I check diurnally.

pooka

Sputnik314

Taggart draws his bow and fires an arrow.
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

Rolled 1d20+4 : 2 + 4, total 6

TheTick

I don't think you'll be able to charge the remaining Hobgoblin, as both Zedric (who had to move up to use Daze) and Yiki at least partially obscure your path (if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can't charge).  You can use a full action to double-move to put yourself in front of him, but won't have an action left to attack with.  Still keeps the meanie from going on to decapitate Zedric, so that's a win.  BTW, you have a +4 to attack with your longsword, and +3 to damage.

Imfei steps in front of Zedric and blocks the second Hobgoblin's path further into the room, shield at the ready.  Taggart's arrow thuds into the doorframe above the head of his target, who pays it no heed. (miss)

Yiki's up.

Lotofsnow

Reeling from the hobgoblin's attack, Yiki flinches as the arrow thuds into the door frame. Yet, the barbarian gathers himself enough to attempt yet another two-handed chop at the remaining enemy before withdrawing a step to allow his allies to get closer to the hobgoblin.

Rolled 1d20+5 : 8 + 5, total 13

Rolled 1d8+6 : 4 + 6, total 10