Section 3 - The Right Room Makes All The Difference

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The group enters the right-hand room with some trepidation, fully expecting some new horror to leap out at them, but breathe a sigh of relief when none does.  This room is much the same size as the last, though instead of a headless statue, there is one stone chest in the center of the room.  A think layer of dust covers everything.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Sputnik314

I wonder if it's locked. Or a trap. Does zeddy have x-ray vision?

TheTick

He does not, but a cursory inspection tells you that it's not locked, at least.  No one can tell for sure if it's trapped or not.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Nighthawk

Zedric stares at the chest for a minute.

"This is too easy..." he whispers as he approaches it. Making sure not to come anywhere near it, he tries to analyze it from a distance and see if anything seems out of the ordinary.

Is it a Search check? What's the difference between Spot and Search?

Standing as far as possible while still being effective. According to the D20 SRD, it seems 10' for Search...
Rolled 1d20 : 1, total 1

If anyone has better than +5, please try.

Nighthawk

Stupid die roller... Didn't add the +5, but it is a natural 1. Chest could be ON FIRE and I wouldn't notice it.

Lotofsnow

"Maybe poke it with your staff..."

The barbarian shifts a bit away from the wizard and the chest while making his suggestion.

TheTick

Zedric (with Quoth), Taggart, Yiki and Imfei investigate the chest to the best of their abilities, but are unable to determine if there's any sort of trap on it. 

Sputnik314

Taggart takes the risk
It probably isn't a trap because someone from the far future is controling me and therefore the world is probably safe.

pooka

Is detect evil something i have limited uses on?
Could my long sword be of service?

TheTick

Spoiler: ShowHide
Good thinking, pooka.

The Paladin, Imfei, furrows her brow and holds her hand out towards the chest.  A faint glow appears to cover her eyes for a moment, then she shakes her head.  "I can sense no evil presence here."

Taggart seems to shrug, and walks up to the chest.  There appears to be no lock, so he carefully lifts the heavy stone lid.  He thinks he's home free until...

...click!

a series of wicked looking barbed darts fire down from the ceiling, catching Taggart on the arm and back (hit, -3hp), while the rest are out of range.  Thankfully, none of them appear to be poisoned.  The lid to the chest seemed to click into place and stay open, revealing the contents:  100 gold pieces in a worn sack, two pearls, and a leather headband, studded with iron rivets.

Lotofsnow

Ah, pretty jewelry and hairpieces, but it is the gold that catches my eye.

Yiki could use the headband, but I'll leave it for someone else for now.

Nighthawk

That one simple dart could have killed me. :P

Zedric flinches when the darts trigger, and tries not to look happy for choosing to stay back.

He looks over the contents... the headband seems a bit unsightly for his taste, so he doesn't think much of it. "We can divide the gold and pearls now or later... I have no need for the headband."

Refresh my memory: Does the headband need identifying, and if so how (besides doing what I did with the ring: just put it on).

TheTick

[DM]I gave you that one for free - pretend the wizard that made it put a label on it. :P[/DM]

pooka

So detect evil only works on live entities, I guess.  Good to know.
I think Taggart should have the headband, since he took the arrows.  I'll take a pearl in exchange for a split of the gold.

Sputnik314

Are the pearls ordanary pearls or special ryther pearls?
can I see the pearls? they might be the key to the place I'm here for.