Character Creation

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

No biggie.  I'm pumped to do all this - says the guy who has only done it once before - and if I'm pressing, it's because of excitement. :D
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

pooka

scr raceother   total   mod
Str   4   0   0   4   -3
dex   6   2   0   8   -1
con   7   -2   0   6   -3
int   6   0   0   6   -2
wis   6   0   0   6   -2
chr   3   0   0   3   -4

Does this look right?
They are lined up better in the reply.

specifically am I going to regret weighting wisdom so much or is it useful in gameplay?

TheTick

Nope, you don't want to add the stats themselves, but what it costs to bump them up based on the Point Buy calculator.  You can see example stats in the first post in this thread that would work for a fighter.  Though if your character is an elf, you would could adjust the numbers slightly to fit that.  Here's my run at this, and if any other vet players want to chime in, feel free:

STR:     16  (+3)
DEX:     11  (+0)
CON:     16  (+3)
INT:     13  (+1)
WIS:     10  (+0)
CHA:     10  (+0)

After factoring in that it's an Elf, you are left with:

STR:     16  (+3)
DEX:     13  (+1)
CON:     14  (+2)
INT:     13  (+1)
WIS:     10  (+0)
CHA:     10  (+0)

This leaves flexibility with feats and how you want to fight.  Several Fighter feats have Dex 13 or Int 13 as prerequisites.  They are proficient in the use of longswords and bows.

Oh, and to keep things lined up when you post it, use the code button (looks like a number sign) and put the text inside that.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

Wisdom affects your Will save (how well you resist spells and things that affect your mind), and is also the key stat for divine spellcasters (Clerics, Druids, Paladins).  It gives a bump to some skills as well.  Not huge for a standard fighter but it can be bumped up instead of Dex or Int if you like.

Lotofsnow

Here's a link to the pdf of my character sheet (as created using PCGen).

Without further ado: Yiki Half-Moon the Half-Orc barbarian: http://lotofsnow.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/yikilow.pdf

TheTick

Lotofsnow

Oops. Ignore the xp. It says 999 since I originally leveled it up to 5 and then back down to 1.

TheTick

pooka

It's still like you guys are speaking Greek.  Maybe we can set up a chat sometime  this weekend.

Lotofsnow

Alternatively, try this as a character generator: http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

When it comes to ability scores, you could simply use the standard array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. No need to deal with the point buy stuff. For your elf, you'd simply add 2 to whichever score you choose for Dexterity and subtract 2 for whatever score you choose for Constitution.

TheTick

Use this as an example:  http://www.honkifyoulovejustice.com/uploads/Pooka.pdf.  Just a basic Elf fighter, using a Longsword, shortbow and mace for backup.

If you end up using that, I can tweak the name or whatever.  I'll probably have a version of it in PCGen here so I can track stuff.

pooka

I don't mind sticking with pooka, though I was going for a lawful good alignment (unless there's a reason not to.)  Sputnik was going for a half orc named Tagart.

TheTick

Another Half-Orc?  Lotofsnow's character will have a buddy.  Sure hope Nighthawk picks a caster. ;D

pooka

Oh, and Tagart should be true neutral.

TheTick

Can update that easy enough, and if you have another name, go for it. :D  For Tagart, what class were you guys thinking?