Chapter One, Part Two: The Road to Brinewall

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

Sandru snaps the reins, and the front wagon leaps forward, followed by the others.  Dayen shrieks as an arrowhead pops through the covering of the wagon he's in.  Seeing the 'van pulling away, you hear one of the bandits shout "To the horses!" and they all run into the woods.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Phil

Owen stands at the back of the main wagon, greatsword in hand.  As the first mounted bandit gets close and reaches for the wagon, Owen cuts his arm off with a downward swing of his blade.  Judging by the surprise and fear in the bandit's eyes, Owen judges that the man was not expecting armed resistance.

Another approaches from the rear of the wagon, and the paladin knocks him off his horse with the flat of his blade.

mechanics: ShowHide

20(1d20) +7 = 27
18(1d20) +7 = 25
I didn't roll damage, but can do so.  If damage matters, one of these is a crit threat.  I am assuming both hit, but if the first somehow did not I'll edit this post.  Hope the fluff above is okay.

Lotofsnow

Faraway rides alongside two of the bandits, reaching forward in attempt to slash at the saddle straps and unhorse the men.

Mechanics: ShowHide
Rolled 1d20+6 : 19 + 6, total 25
Rolled 1d20+6 : 6 + 6, total 12

TheTick

The first bandit is surprised at the tactic, and slides unceremoniously off his horse, smashing into the ground.  The second narrowly avoids the same fate.

(3 down, 3 to go)
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SpamHead

Horcrust, on his summoned horse, blasts flame at two of the bandits.

Rolled 1d20+3 : 4 + 3, total 7

Rolled 1d20+3 : 8 + 3, total 11

TheTick

The first bandit dodges just at the right moment, but the second takes a blast of flame to the chest and sprawls in the dirt.

(4 down, 2 to go.  Jeddy and S'Vith are yet to go.)

SteveRogers

Unarmed Strike 1 1d6+3 : 2 + 3, total 5
Damage 1 1d8 : 8, total 8
Unarmed Strike 2 1d6+3 : 2 + 3, total 5
Damage 2 1d8 : 1, total 1

TheTick

(using the rolls from the OOC)

S'Vith manages to punch one rider solidly, knocking him off his horse, but misses the second one riding up.

Porteiro

Jeddy pulls out his crossbow and tries to fend off the bandits.

Roll(1d20)+4: 11,+4 = Total:15
Roll(1d20)+4: 12,+4 = Total:16

TheTick

Jeddy's first crossbow bolt hits the last bandit in the hand just as he ws reaching for the reins.  He howls with pain, and his horse throws him off.  Sandru urges the horses forward again, and the caravan roars down the dirt track until he's sure no one followed.  He hops down and goes to each wagon, asking, "You alright?" to each person, then he and the other drivers check for damage.  Finding none, he turns to the scouts.  "Ride ahead.  I'm going to run the caravan hard until nightfall, get some distance on these thugs, and we'll need to have a good place to rest and water the horses."  They did just that, and met no more resistance.  The rest of the trip to Roderic's Cove is quiet, but Sandru doesn't relax until he sees the walls of the town appear in the distance.

Once inside, Sandru gathers everyone together, but before he can speak, Dayen comes up and vigorously shakes his hand.  "Thank you for getting me here safe!  If I'd been on the road alone, or with a less...sturdy group, I probably would've been robbed or killed."  He thanks everyone at a turn, and then announces he's heading to the tavern - the first round is on him.  The caravan master smiles and nods, and then speaks.  "Before you step away, I want to let everyone know to be careful.  Roderic's Cove appears civilized, but there's pirate influences everywhere.  Keep your coinpurses hidden, and travel in groups."

(You can again sell some trade goods, and note that the trip from here is straight to Brinewall, at least 6 days.  You may wish to bank a bit of extra provisions.)

TheTick

Sandru manages to make enough trading to cover costs, and ends up loading up on more supplies for the trip to Brinewall.  "Takes about a week to get there from here, I reckon." he announces when everyone has come back to the wagons.  After everyone is mounted up, he takes one last look at Roderic's Cove, and heads north.

The first couple of days are fairly uneventful, until the second evening.  Just as Sandru was about to call a halt, Shalelu and Faraway spot dust rising in the distance.  After a few tense moments, Sandru calls out to everyone to lower their weapons.  "It's another caravan!"   He hops down from his wagon as they approach, and calls out to the other 'van master.  They greet each other as if they are old friends, and seeing the sun dipping below the horizon, quickly decide to bring both caravans to camp together.

Once both caravans are settled in, a large fire is built.  A cask of ale is tapped, food is shared, and some much-needed fun is had by most.  Ameiko, for her part, seems withdrawn, and heads to sleep early in the evening.

TheTick

The sun is painfully bright to those that had a bit too much ale, but Sandru himself seems unaffected.  He rouses everyone early and gets them on the move, and the other caravan master does the same.  Koya passes out a wicked-smelling drink which she claims is an age-old Varisian hangover cure.  The road narrows as you continue north, and Sandru admits that not many caravans pass this close to Brinewall.

Two more days of uneventful travel follow, with the road getting rougher, until you reach a wood and stone bridge.  A few hundred yards after the end of the bridge, the road takes a sharp turn to the east.  Sandru stops the 'van, and gets out his map.  "This should be it - we're in the Nolands now, and if I'm right..."  The caravan master walks over to the spot where the road turns, and pulls some vines off a sign.  Pointing north and west, the markings are unmistakable, even after years of wear.  "To Brinewall"

Shalelu looks in the direction the sign points with dismay.  "There's a path here, but it leaves much to be desired.  Looks like we're on foot from here."   She turns to look back at Sandru, but then shouts "Ameiko!"  Owen turns and sees the young bard's eyes fluttering, and she starts to fall.  He catches her, and Sandru runs over and helps guide her to the ground.  Sandru is about to call for Koya, but she is just behind him, already casting Detect Magic.  A concerned look passes over her face.  "There's something magical happening, but it's not a spell."

SpamHead

"Maybe Bbrinewall affects it's rightful rulers? We don't know what we were supposed to find here, but this may be part of it. "

Phil

"We must get her away from here!"  Owen calls to Faraway to assist, and then he picks her up and begins moving her away from the path.  He intends to get her onto a horse or wagon, and move away until her state returns to normal.

If her condition does not improve after being taken a fair distance, he'll consider other options.

Lotofsnow

Faraway sits confused for a moment, but, upon seeing the anguish in Owen's face, he springs into action to aid his friend. He kicks his mount up to the paladin and reaches down.

"Here," says the druid, "Lift her up here. I'll carry her back a mile or so, until she seems to be improving, and we can meet me up there."