Character Build Collaboration.

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotofsnow

Beefy!

Ok, yeah, I guess he's a little beefy.

TheTick

Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

SpamHead, if you want me to create a statblock for your sorcerer like Phil's and mine, let me know when you're done creating your char, and I will.

TheTick

I'll need the bloodline stuff listed there as well, and it also appears that you didn't use all 25 points in the point buy, or didn't add the +2 to any stat from being human, one or the other based on those numbers.

edit:  almost forgot, you would also have 70gp to spend if you took the average.  Will probably want more than just a dagger. ;)
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Attributes look ok to me.

...However, he is short a 1st level spell and could also add either a hit point or a skill point (unless sorcerer isn't his favored class).

SpamHead

Ahh yes I forgot to take that into account

EDIT: I think I included Bloodline Powers

also I think I will in the future take feats such as point blank shot to improve the accuracy of my rays

Phil

Just a quick outline for a possible backstory:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owen Deverin was born in Sandpoint around 4689 to Wade and Leah Deverin.  Wade Deverin was a paladin who, along with his brother Gaven, founded the Two Knights Brewery, after they retired from their martial lives.  Wade settled down with a local girl, and they had a son they named Owen.  Leah passed away when Owen was six, in a sickness that swept through Sandpoint in 4701.  After that he was raised by his father, until he was slain in the 'Late Unpleasantness' by the Chopper, the town's first serial killer. 

After that, Owen stayed with his uncle Gaven until he became of age and was sent off to join the service of the Sarenraen holy order, like his father and uncle before him.  The Deverin family is one of the oldest in Sandpoint, which has been ruled by a Deverin mayor for most of its existence.  However, Owen and his family are of the "lesser" branch of the family, descended from a later son who was sent off to join the clergy to avoid any inheritence conflicts.  They are well respected in town, and run a successful business, but do not have nearly the wealth of their richer cousins.

As a boy, Owen developed an infatuation with Ameiko Kaijitsu, the only daughter of another of the founding families .  The two were of the same age, and often met at gatherings among the Sandpoint aristocracy, of which Owen was nominally a member.  The two got along fine, and became something approaching friends, but Owen was often nervous and awkward in her presence.  Her exotic beauty and confidence combined to reduce the lad to stuttering on more than one occasion, and he was always worried that he'd say the wrong things.

Owen has been away from Sandpoint for several years now, and through his service to Sarenrae he's become far more strong and confident.  He's returned to Sandpoint as a Paladin, not yet having any official orders except to honor his patron deity and to do good where he can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote this partly with my own knowledge of Sandpoint as a DM for Rise of the Runelords, so let me know if it contradicts anything from Jade Regent in a way that makes it not work. 

Porteiro

Hey, I'm reading the Jade Regent player's guide, and it's assuming from the  a lot of knowledge about the area, geography, cultures, etc..  Where am I supposed to know that stuff from?

Lotofsnow

Phil

A lot of it should be familiar from my campaign Porter, its the same town :).

TheTick

Yes, your character should've been in Sandpoint for a decent period of time (in order to make the connection to one of the NPCs), and you can use your knowledge from Phil's game to help with that.  Technically this path is set a couple of years after the events of Rise of the Runelords.

Lotofsnow

Have you read the new-ish Pathfinder comic? Not only is it a solid comic book, but at the end of each issue, there is a ton of information on the places where the action is happening. So, in the first issue, there is a small Sandpoint Gazeteer and an encounter with goblins (including a battle map). Second issue has information on Shank's Wood. Very cool.

I reviewed the first issue here: http://www.robotviking.com/2012/09/13/the-pathfinder-comic-is-a-good-read-and-useful/

Phil

QuoteTechnically this path is set a couple of years after the events of Rise of the Runelords.

Yeah I was wondering about that.  I've got the date for when Ameiko was born (4689), and the year of the great fire (4702).  Then ROTR starts about 5 years after that (4707?), which would only make Ameiko about 18 years old at the start of that campaign.

Then if this starts a couple years later (4709?), I guess that'd mean that she's 20?  That'd fit pretty well with a paladin just finishing his training, I'd think, to make him of the same age.

Porteiro

So, I'm reading the character guide right now.  I've got so say, I think it's pretty keen.  I like the NPC-connected traits that you must choose from, and I like the "relationship" mechanic.  It wouldn't work for every adventure,  but I'm excited to try it out.

TheTick

It is cool, isn't it?  That's why I like the PF paths so much, each one seems to have some new mechanic or twist to make it unique.