If you like to read...

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotofsnow

Quote from: SpamHead on March 04, 2013, 03:12:00 PM
Has anyone read the Mistborn series? They currently rank my favorite series I ever read.

The first book, I really enjoyed. Definitely a favorite book of mine.

Second book was a bit of a letdown. I enjoyed the ending somewhat, but only because it gave me some ideas for the D&D adventure I was running at the time.

Haven't been able to get into the third book. Tried once and didn't really care about the characters. I just think Sanderson rubs me the wrong way after awhile. Part of it is his writing, and part of it him as a person. Way of Kings, another book of his that I read when it first came out, wasn't all that great, in my opinion. Although Amazon reviews seem to give it a lot of love.

rivka

I also read and enjoyed book 1 of Mistborn. Never felt the need to read the rest.
Good Kirk. Evil Kirk. The only difference between them: eyeliner.
- anonymous commenter on The Enemy Within

SpamHead

I really liked the ending to the series, I think that is where most of the awesome is.

SpamHead

Before I read Mistborn I really liked the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull (I also wondered that my two favorite authors are both named Brandon) who also made The Candy Shop War. I would like Orson Scott Card better than Mull if it weren't for some of his books (for example, I was bored to death by the time I got to the third book of the Alvin Maker series) that I did not like.

Lotofsnow

I started reading one of the Wild Cards books that George RR Martin runs. I've read probably 5 books in the series, and I really enjoy it.

SteveRogers

I've been vaguely interested in that series as well, but I have had trouble locating a copy of the first book.

Lotofsnow

I borrowed one from a friend.

I actually started with Inside Straight. It is the first in the newer hero series.

Porteiro

QuoteUnlike a lot of folks, I didn't like the books Sanderson wrote. I thought the 2nd one he wrote bordered on brutal at times.
One of my very favorite parts of the entire series (Egwene being kept in the White Tower) happened in his 2nd book.

I'm re-reading through the entire series right now, and am enjoying it even more than I expected that I would.

QuoteI'm on book 8 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Kind of bogged down though.
I've gotten bogged down trying to read the first book at least three times so far.

Lotofsnow

The first Malazan book is an adventure. I found I enjoyed it most when I was done and could look back. I was very tempted to read it again straight away, but decided to continue on to the 2nd. Deadhouse Gates is fantastic though.

SpamHead

My problem with Mistborn is when I listened to it it was scrambled and I did not realize I had missed most of the story until after I heard the end(the chapters I listened to were in linear order).

Sputnik314

I'm currently reading the Infinity series.

SteveRogers

Who is the author of that series, Sputnik?

SpamHead

Today I read a few short story's: The Golden Man (about a guy who can see a half hour on the future) Exhalation (about a robotic race who wants to figure out their own secrets) and For Want of a Nail (about a broken AI).