If you like to read...

Previous topic - Next topic

SpamHead

This is a thread for talking about books that you are reading/read/want to read. I am currently reading the Wheel of Time series and am on the sixth book.

SteveRogers

I've been reading A Game of Thrones.

Lotofsnow

Wheel of Time is frustrating. At least, it was waiting forever between books and then having nothing happen in a book when it finally comes out. Unlike a lot of folks, I didn't like the books Sanderson wrote. I thought the 2nd one he wrote bordered on brutal at times. The final book wasn't bad. Stuff about it that I didn't like were actually things that Jordan had in his notes, so I can't really blame Sanderson for that.

I'm on book 8 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Kind of bogged down though.

SteveRogers

Quote from: Lotofsnow on March 04, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
I'm on book 8 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Kind of bogged down though.

I just picked up the first book of that series the other day.  It's on my list of books to tackle this year.

SpamHead

Wheel of Time is frustrating. At least, it was waiting forever between books and then having nothing happen in a book when it finally comes out. Unlike a lot of folks, I didn't like the books Sanderson wrote. I thought the 2nd one he wrote bordered on brutal at times. The final book wasn't bad. Stuff about it that I didn't like were actually things that Jordan had in his notes, so I can't really blame Sanderson for that.

I've heard about Wheel of Time being frustrating. So far I think it is awesome, but I am not at the point where my dad got frustrated and quit.

Lotofsnow

Quote from: SteveRogers on March 04, 2013, 01:25:31 PM

I just picked up the first book of that series the other day.  It's on my list of books to tackle this year.

Good luck. A lot of folks don't make it through the first book. 2nd book is awesome though. Probably my favorite so far in the series.

SteveRogers

I'm wanting to start a number of series which have been described to me as having rocky starts (Malazan being an example).

TheTick

I read Coraline while waiting for my son to finish his choir practice.  My kids loved the movie, and I wanted something I might get through it one or two sittings.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SteveRogers

Quote from: TheTick on March 04, 2013, 01:48:13 PM
I read Coraline while waiting for my son to finish his choir practice.  My kids loved the movie, and I wanted something I might get through it one or two sittings.

I adore the book.  It's quite a bit creepier than the movie in a number of places.

SpamHead

I have the movie but I haven's seen the book since I was 5.

SteveRogers

Hey, Tick.  Have you read The Graveyard Book by Gaiman?

TheTick

I actually bought it for my wife, who liked it.  It's one of many on my Nook waiting to be tackled.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SteveRogers

If you liked Coraline, I think you'll enjoy The Graveyard Book too.  I think I actually liked it better than Coraline.  The audio version is actually a treat too; it's read by Gaiman himself and accompanied by music performed by Bela Fleck.

SpamHead

Has anyone read the Mistborn series? They currently rank my favorite series I ever read.

SteveRogers

That is another one of the series I intend to read this year.