Chapter One - Kassen Town Square

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott R

Sandy hears Kirdo say something about illusion magic. He quietly steps into the trees and creeps toward where the orcs had appeared.

stealth +7 1d20+7 : 1 + 7, total 8

perception +9 1d20+9 : 1 + 9, total 10

Nighthawk

"SHOW YOURSELF!" shouts Darius, unsure if anyone out there besides the group can hear him.

"I do not appreciate being toyed with," he grumbles as he stows his weapons. "Let's keep moving and let's get this over with."

"We should endeavor to be a bit more subtle as we move. We're not surprising anyone moving around like that."

Perception 1d20+8 : 1 + 8, total 9
Survival 1d20+9 : 18 + 9, total 27
Stealth 1d20+6 : 8 + 6, total 14
Knowledge Geography, just in case 1d20+4 : 15 + 4, total 19

Scott R

Yes.  Let the fool half-elf shout himself hoarse drawing all the attention to him. Sandy smirks.

And runs right into a bramble.

TheTick

Kirdo and Maura lead the stumbling group a short distance into the forest, but it's Dariel who notices the faint impressions in the dirt where someone had watched them.  There is a scent lingering in the air, the particular pipe smoke favored by Holgast, the wizard that lives in the rickety tower outside of town.  There are no footsteps leading away, so if the wizard left, it wasn't on foot.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Scott R

It might be the briars left over from his attempt at appearing clever and stealthy, but there's an uncharacteristically annoyed tone to Sandy's voice when he says to the group, "We just got embarrassed by an old man and a bunch of orc doll babies.  Let's...let's take a moment to talk things over and figure out how not to be surprised next time."

He starts, "I can move...okay, USUALLY, I can move quietly, even through underbrush, and I know some tricks to disarming traps.  Once we put our map fragments together and figure out our route, why don't I scout ahead of the group a bit?  I can spot trouble before we encounter it, and come back and report it to you.  Then we can figure out a plan to approach it."

Even though he says it to the group, it's Maura he faces when he says it.

Lotofsnow

Now that the danger has passed, Maura begins to shift things around in her pack so as to store the lamp within. Sure, holding the relic aloft made for a good show when leaving the village, but she would have had been at somewhat of a disadvantage one-handed even against the likes of orcs had they been real.

"Do not worry, Sandy," Maura says reassuringly as she secures the last tie on her backpack and hoists it to her shoulder, lamp nestled inside its larger center pouch. "We did not flee the orcs when we thought they were flesh, and we charged nobly into the unknown once we deduced magic was at work. I would not say that we were embarrassed. But, I agree that some scouting may be prudent. Though I would ask that you not stray from sight. When it comes down to it, we were charged to complete this task as a group."

Scott R

Sandy doesn't think much of 'charging nobly into the unknown', but the bit about completing the task as a group?  He figures his instincts about Maura were pretty much right on.  She was a born leader.

"Okay.  I'll keep you in sight as I scout," Sandy says.

Rakeesh

For a moment Kirdo is inclined to object, but even though he hadn't blundered in the bushes or bellowed a challenge he had missed the illusion, and had in fact spoken to it. If Holgast were a gnome, it would've been a marvelous prank spoken of for months. He nudged Hauler nearer to the rest, nodding along with Sandy's plan.

He feels moment of kinship with Sandy at the talk of noble charges, not at all his cup of tea, but nevertheless there is some reassurance that a straightforward, brave warrior sort is at hand. His pulse is still racing from the moment he thought his companions and possibly himself would take injury or even death.

"It could've been worse, after all," he agreed with Maura. "We may either surprise another prankster or," he said more seriously, "find any real trouble before it finds us." As he says that, Kirdo feels a little better. He hadn't wasted any bombs, after all, which would've spun the shelf life of embarrassment from months to years. Thank goodness Holgast wasn't a gnome!

TheTick

With little else to discover once the true nature of the Orcish attack was discovered, the group returns to the road a bit warier for it.  The forest seems more oppressive and closed in, though you make good time.  As the sun dips down below the tree line, the effort is made to find a campsite.  A reasonable site is found, not too far off the road, a small clearing closed in on three sides, with level ground for the tents.

With a chance to rest, you begin to notice just how alone you are.  Civilization seems far away, and the only noises are the crackle of the cookfire and the animals of the forest.  The chill pulls in close around you, and the baying of hungry wolves is heard in the distance.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Scott R

"I'll take first watch," Sandy says as the wolves' howling echoes in the trees.

Perception +9 1d20+9 : 8 + 9, total 17

Rakeesh

It was by no means Kirdo's first time roughing it, but danger-real or imagined-didn't often find him on those rare occasions he was between lodgings traveling from place to place. Further, gnomes made for better than average hiders. But although the distant sound of wolves was no lullaby, he knew enough not to fear them much. Several things including desperate hunger would need to happen before such creatures posed a threat, and it wasn't the season for that sort of thing.

While he tended to Hauler, he reflected on the level of seriousness with which the people of Kassen treated this ritual. It was important to them, but not dangerous so far as he could tell. And regardless of how frightening it was, the (almost certain) presence of Holgast confirmed that impression. But if the dotty old wizard told stories about how silly they had looked, facing his 'orcs', well, that sort of thing could ingratiate one to people. Making sales that much easier. He then made sure torches were ready to hand, along with oil to help light them quickly if needed. When he bedded down, it would be with his moonrod near to hand as well, ready to strike and illuminate quickly if need be.

Thus cheered, Kirdo offered in his high, fast-speaking voice, "Anyone care for a touch of spirits to brace us after our 'battle'?" he asked with a light laugh at his own expense. "Or if you like, after miles walked down in the day," he added. He had a bit of a supply of liquid to warm their bellies and make them more cheerful, and Sandy would know he didn't truck in swill. "Last watch for me!" he remembered to say quickly, grinning impishly at his human sometimes-partner. First and last watches were best, after all, and it seemed fair enough since he was offering to share his liquor.

OOC:
Perception +3 for his watch.
Rolled 1d20+3 : 20 + 3, total 23

Nighthawk

Dariel wonders about Sandy's eagerness to take first watch, unsure of whether she can protect the camp. He hesitates, listening to the sound of the wolves and trying to figure out their position and distance. "Sandy... You've done this before? Camp in the wild?"

Knowledge (Nature), if applicable 1d20 : 3, total 3
Perception, if applicable 1d20+8 : 11 + 8, total 19
Survival, if applicable 1d20+9 : 3 + 9, total 12

Dariel isn't resting until he feels comfortable that Sandy can take watch, so I'll wait for her response. If she's convincing, I'll take second watch after her.
Otherwise, I'm trying to gauge number, distance and direction of wolves.

Lotofsnow

Maura begins to tie her mule to a tree near the edge of the clearing. As the sound of wolves emerges from the approaching night, she adjusts the knot a bit: secure enough to allow the creature to know it is secured, but loose enough to let it get away should the scavengers attack. Satisfied with her handiwork, she unloads the saddlebags, tosses her rope around a branch, and suspends them from the ground. Hopefully they swing high enough to keep out of reach of the wolves or any other curious critters.

Returning to the group, she waves a no-thank-you at Kirdo's offer of drink, instead bending to collect tinder enough to get a small fire going: another deterrent to wolves or worse.

As the discussion of watches begins, she strikes the tinder to spark, adding a bit of kindling as the fire awakens.

"I'll be up for a bit," she says, catching Dariel's meaning and acknowledging it with a glance. Gesturing to her well-polished armor, she continues, "I need to put a bit of work in. I'll take second watch, keeping Sandy company in the meantime."

Scott R

Sandy scratches his nose and says to Dariel, "Well. Camping. I suspect it's a bit like spending the night at Foggy Chandler's house. It's strange, dark, cold, and sometimes in the middle of the night, his mother comes to try and kiss you. And if you've seen Goody Chandler— or her husband— that is just not something you allow.

"So you keep the candles lit," Sandy says, snapping his fingers at the fire Maura is building.

"And you find something to keep you warm." He takes a long pull from Kirdo's offered drink and manages not to cough or splutter.

"And you find a defensible place to sleep." He waves his hand at the campsite.

"And most importantly, you keep a sharp eye and ear open for the sound of Goody Chandler, creeping through the house. She may be a large woman but she can move as quietly as a shadow."

Sandy smirks. "I'm pretty sure I can manage, Dariel. Don't worry. I won't let her kiss you either."

TheTick

The first watch starts out quiet.  For all of Sandy's bravado, it's an unnerving experience.  The firelight casts wicked shadows against the trees, and the only sound other than the crackling of the fire is a single wolf howling.  It's background noise, until Sandy notices that it's getting closer, and closer still.  Until it stops.