Chapter 2 - The Mayor's Lament

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The next morning, Yiki, Taggart and Imfei walk up to a simple two-story stone building just a short distance away from the Inn and Tavern.  A placard on the side states that it houses the town hall, as well as the guard barracks and jail.  Yiki strides right up to the door and opens it.  Inside, the team sees several guardsmen and militia members preparing for the day.  A few are getting fresh bandages on what appear to be recent battle wounds, but are in good spirits.  One of them spots the trio and jerks his head towards the back of the room.  "If you're here to see the mayor too, head straight up those stairs."

The stairs open into a large room with windows all around.  A bald man is seated behind a large wooden desk, which has several benches in front of it.  Behind the desk are two maps - one of the town of Seawell itself, and one showing it's place amongst the swamps and shore.  Bigsby is already sitting on one of the benches, and he nods his hello to each of you in turn.  The mayor clears his throat and begins to speak.

"Good, you're all here.  My name's Miller, and these damn fools keep picking me to be their mayor.  I've asked you all here because I need help.  As you may know, we've recently begun getting raided by the local lizardfolk tribes."  He gets up and walks over to the maps.  "We also haven't gotten our last 3 shipments by sea, and the merchant folks who rely on the supplies and raw materials are getting nervous."  Mayor Miller gestures at a line that runs offshore from the north, and to a large outcrop of land with a mark on it.  "The coastal passage here is lousy with rocks and coral just under the surface, so my grandpappy hired some Dwarvish fellers to build a lighthouse there about 60 years ago, no trouble since.  Lighthouse keepers are nice folks, the wife comes into town every so often to buy supplies.  I need you to go up to the point there and investigate, see if you can find out what happened to the ships.  We can hold off the lizardfolk just fine with the militia, but my gut tells me that their being riled up and those ships not coming has to be related.  I need you to search the lands around the lighthouse and see what's going on.  I'll pay 50 gold pieces to each of ya for your trouble, plus pay your room and board while you're in town.  No more of your bar tab, though."  He seems to be looking at Yiki and Bigsby for this.  "You can keep any treasure you find, but the cargo from the ships, if you manage to recover it, has to go to the shops.  Imagine they'd be pretty happy to get it, though.  What say you?  Will you do it?"
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Yiki whispers to Bigsby probably a little too loudly:

50 gold seems a bit low. Think you could get a few more gold out of him?

SteveRogers

Bigsby blinks his eyes blearily, whispering to himself, "I di'n't think it possible, but I seem to have drank too much."

Finally, Yiki's words connect somewhere in Bigsby's brain.  He nods with a smile.

"You know, mayor.  We known each other quite a ways now.  And you know be'er than most how dangerous your suggestion be.  Aye?  So, the rub of it be.  Mayhaps 50 gold be a little low all things considered.  Compensation wise, I be saying.  A fine, experienced group o' adventurers like you see afore you."

Pausing for a moment, Bigsby continues, "We won' be askin' you to pay off the rest of our tab.  We'll handle that our own selves.  But mayhaps we can increase the funds a bit on this one.  Ya see?  When we retrieve these goods o' which you speak.  Well, we'll likely have to pay someone to pack all those back up here.  Aye?"

Diplomacy Roll 1d20+6 : 8 + 6, total 14

TheTick

The mayor listens, nodding.  "I will go to 75 gold a piece but not one scrap more.  And we'll handle the cargo if you manage to find any.  If you need a pack mule to carry your own treasures back, you'll be doing a fair sight better than 75 gold per." He smiles.  "Will that do?"
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SteveRogers

Bigsby whispers to Yiki in orc, to prevent the mayor from understanding, "I be out of the adventuring business these days.  That soun' a fair price to you?"

Lotofsnow

Yiki's mouth extends into a toothy smile. To both the mayor and Bigsby, he says:

Sounds great. When do we leave?

TheTick

The Mayor claps his hands loudly, startling everyone, and exclaims "That's the spirit!  Leave as soon as yer ready.  If you need any supplies, our merchants can help though selection may be sparse on some things, thanks to our shipping problems.  I'd head towards the lighthouse first, perhaps you'll see some evidence of the ships from up high.  As for how to get there, ye have two options:  first, you can walk.  It's the dry season, and there are game trails and dry grasslands between the muck and trees.  Takes about three days.  Second, you could ask one of the fishing boats for a ride up there.  Takes about two days, on account of they don't sail at night right now."