Chapter 1 - Out On The Town

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

There is an uncomfortable pause as the bartender stares at Taggart, and then he roars with laughter. "A pearl in my kegs!  That's a good one, lad.  I'll be sure to let you know if I find one!"  He moves off to the side to fill another patron's mug, still chuckling.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Before he can respond, Yiki reaches out and grabs a hold of Taggart's tunic, tugging him over.

"Let me introduce you to someone, Taggart."

Gesturing to the gnome, the barbarian continues:

"This is Bigsby Babblesforth. He's a singer. He sings songs about heroes. In fact, he was just singing about a pearl before a few sailors interrupted him, right before you walked in."

Yiki winks at that gnome.

"Isn't that right, trickster?"

Bluff 1d20-2 : 3 - 2, total 1

SteveRogers

Winking back at Yiki, "Why, yes, my young friend, Taggart.  It was a sprawling epic about a young orc warrior in search of pearls.  Something about saving the world?  All very complicated and in an ancient elven dialect.  I'll have to sing it for you another time.  Say, you aren't looking for pearls are you?" Bigsby claps Taggart on the shoulder.

"My fine fellow, I can almost assure you there are no pearls to be had here in Seawell.  They're farther down the road if the song be even a lick of truth."

Bluff Roll 1d20+6 : 8 + 6, total 14

Sputnik314

Why yes Bigsby. Glad to see your spreading my fame. I sure hope the bartender isn't sarcastic. Have you seen one?

SteveRogers

"I'm afraid not, lad.  But the orc in the songs only discovers them on a long adventure with some fellow adventurers.  And they all become fast friends.  This sound familiar?"  Bigsby smiles at Taggart.

Lotofsnow

Speaking of the road...

Yiki motions to the barkeep, beckoning him over.

How does the land lay? Are there bounties to be won?

SteveRogers

Turning from Taggart, Bigsby looks to Yiki, "Aye, that's the right idea indeed.  The way things have been here as of late, I could do good to put some more road between me and the past."

Bigsby pinches his forehead, "I can't seem to recall if there are any traveling minstrel groups in the area though. . ."

As a second thought, Bigsby turns to Taggart again, "Lad.  This likely be the path to your pearls if they be anywhere for you to find."

TheTick

The bartender leans in close.  "Aye, lad, there's a fair bit of trouble in these parts.  Something is stirring up the local Lizardfolk tribes, but the militia is able to repel them easily enough.  Still, it bodes ill.  Keeps the mayor from sending them to figure out why the ships have stopped coming.  Might be worth your while to check into it."
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

SteveRogers

"Ships, eh?  There be as fine a place as any to look for your pearls, Taggart, me boy.  Near the sea."  Bigsby says, placing a hand on the orc's shoulder.

TheTick

As the dust settles, Bigsby, Taggart and Yiki get back to the serious business of imbibing.  The two half-Orcs listen intently as the Gnome begins telling ever more unbelievable tales - though he wisely keeps his insults to himself now.  After a significant but hazy period of time passes, Guard Captain Kern enters and looks around.  Seeing the half-Orc at the bar, he strides over with purpose.  "I hear you managed to help defuse a rather dangerous situation - you have my thanks for doing so without bloodshed."  He paused for a moment, then continued.  "If you're interested, the mayor has need of some folks with talents such as yours."  He gestures include Bigsby and Taggart. "We'll pay your room and board for the night, and his mayorship will present his offer in the morning.  After you've sobered."

SteveRogers

In a drunken haze, Bigsby says, "I don't suppose the mayor has the money in his coffers to pay off our tab too then, eh?"

TheTick

The Guard Captain shakes his head.  "I'll pay your tab up to now.  The rest is up to you."

Another guard walks up to Imfei and gives her the same information, though leaving out the part about the bar tab.  He figures the Paladin won't be drinking, anyway.

pooka

Imfei regards the rabbling carousers in the tavern with pained tolerance, then joins Yiki and Taggart.
Who is our new friend? she queries, cooly.

SteveRogers

Opening his mouth to speak and dribbling ale into his beard, Bigsby wipes his chin clean and sticks out his hand for a handshake.  He says, in Elven, "They mostly call me Bigsby Babblesforth around these parts.  I was just enjoying a grand orc drinking song with these two fine specimen."  Pausing for another sip of an ale and to yell a dirty refrain in Orc, Bigsby turns his attention back to the elf, "Aye, and who be ye?  A frien' of my frien's I gather?"

pooka

I am Imfei servant to the queen of the woodland realm.  I owe this adventurer a lifedebt and that one owes me.  Despite her verbal specificity, she wafts her hand in a noncommital loop in the general direction of Yiki and Taggart.