Section 4 - Getting the Shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

Yiki's fierce swing just misses as the Hobgoblin twists awkwardly to dodge. (miss)  The thug brings his nicked short sword up into Yiki's chest, and the Half-Orc hears a rib crack and feels a flash of intense pain. (HIT, -2hp)

Spoiler: ShowHide
Yiki at 4hp IIRC. Z, Imfei, Taggart, Yiki, actions in that order please. :D
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Nighthawk

Zedric steps up and swings his quarterstaff wildly out of frustration.

Attack:
Rolled 1d20-1 : 8 - 1, total 7

Damage:
Rolled 1d6-1 : 4 - 1, total 3

I'm so use to seeing a map... I don't know where I am, so if I am able to retreat after the swing I'll do that. If not, I'll position myself hopefully out of the way of people that could actually kill the thing.

pooka

Imfei makes a leaping, whirling attack with the longsword. 
Rolled 1d20+4 : 8 + 4, total 12

"Periisem nisi periisem!"
Rolled 1d8+3 : 3 + 3, total 6

Sputnik314

Taggart diverolls and attempts to punch the hobbgoblin in the face
Rolled 1d20+4 : 8 + 4, total 12

Taste the back of my crystal fist!
Rolled 1d3+3 : 3 + 3, total 6

TheTick

The Hobgoblin shows surprising nimbleness for one of his kind, deflecting, blocking, and parrying away all attacks. (all missed) He growls, "Fools!  Stop trying to hit me and HIT ME!"

Yiki, do your worst.  And saaay map.  MAP!

Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

Yiki does his best to oblige the hobgoblin. Shifting into a flanking position with Imfei, he howls with uncontrolled anger as he swings his ax at the creature's face.

Rolled 1d20+9 : 15 + 9, total 24

Rolled 1d8+8 : 7 + 8, total 15

5' step one square North; Rage for 7 rounds. STR 22, CON 18, HP increase to 6, AC decreases to 12; Attack bonus is increased by Flanking (+2) and Rage (+2)

TheTick

"...Stop trying to hit me and HIT ME!"

Something snapped deep inside Yiki.  The enraged barbarian hefts his axe, and with a primal scream he drives it into the Hobgoblin's side, the force of the blow nearly splitting the thug in two.  It is thrown to the ground, dead before hitting the stone floor. (HIT, DEAD)

Whew!  Nicely done, guys.  I'll let you know about XP and loot later.  If anyone wants to explore, remember that the original description of the room listed a rope hanging from a shaft in the ceiling.

Lotofsnow

Exhausted and covered in a mixture of hobgoblin blood and his own, Yiki drops to his knees. For a moment, he catches his breath. Then, muttering softly to himself, the half-orc barbarian draws his smaller hand ax from its place on his belt. Carefully lining up the tougher hobgoblins hand, he gives the dead creature's fingers a quick chop. After a brief inspection, he picks up one of the least mutilated digits and slips it into his pocket.

Looking up at his companions, the weariness evident in his posture, Yiki says:

We should find a place to rest.

TheTick

"Sleep no more!  MacBeth does murder sleep!"

Nighthawk

"Yes, sleep... I'm spent. I don't care where, but the first chamber where we entered seemed... safe."

Sorry. Busy, busy!

Yeah, I need a rest. I got nothin' left. :)

Lotofsnow

I suppose we should take a look through these bodies first. My ribs hurt like hell, but it is probably too much to hope one of these knuckleheads has something to take the edge off.

TheTick

Yiki kneels gingerly next to the two Hobgoblin corpses and begins searching them.  He turns up a light crossbow, stained with blood (not all of it fresh) which he tosses towards Zedric with a grunt.  There's 20 bolts with it as well.  He turns to the other thug, and is surprised to find he's wearing a quite heavy, but fine studded leather belt.  Zedric notices it and advises "I've seen those before.  It's a lifting belt.  Lets you carry a bit more gear...or in the case of raiders like these, more loot.  Doesn't make your sword arm any stronger, though."

Yiki also scrounged up a few clean-ish bandages and a foul-smelling healing salve out of the gear the two enemies were carrying.  Satisfied that there was no other helpful items on them, Yiki attempted to straighten up and was brought up short by a shooting pain in his side.  Imfei and Taggart led the way back to the entry room, and fashioned a makeshift barricade across the northern door.  Deciding that would at least be enough to warn them of an impending attack, the healthy adventurers kindled a fire and set up camp.  The healing salve burns like hell when Imfei applies it to Yiki's wounds, but she assures him that it will help.  Once he's settled, the crew gather around the fire and heat some rations.

A lifting belt provides a +1 enhancement bonus to Strength only for the purposes of setting you carrying capacity.

Chit-chat if you wish, and Nighthawk needs to let me know what spells Z would be prepping for tomorrow (if different from what he had before).

Sputnik314

Taggart starts to snooze .
zzzzzz

pooka

Imfei walks a spiral around the chamber seeing if she can notice any secret or concealed doors. 
Don't mind me, I'm walking softly.

Sputnik314

Taggart remembers the rope and wakes up.
wait a minute, isn't there a rope?