Section 2 - Left for Dead

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The band of adventurers explore the room to the left, intent on making sure their home for the evening is safe.  The only object of interest in this chamber is a statue at the far end. It resembles a sarcophagus standing upright, except that the head of the figure carved upon its lid looks distorted and seems to have tendrils instead of hair. A pair of batlike wings extends from its temples. Suddenly, its eyes open, revealing the glow of green flames, and the head flies forward to attack!

Spoiler: ShowHide
What, were you expecting a place to nap?  Roll for initiative!  1d20 plus whatever your bonus is from your sheet.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Lotofsnow

"Gah!"

Rolled 1d20+2 : 17 + 2, total 19

Sputnik314

Taggart has never seen such a creature

HOLY RICEBALL!

Rolled 1d20+2 : 4 + 2, total 6

Nighthawk

"AAAAAHHH!!!" the raven flips out and takes flight upon seeing the creature, circling about Zedric's head. "It's a... It's a... What *is* that?!?"

Zedric isn't sure how to respond.

*DISCLAIMER* Below is modified because your die roller doesn't like spaces and it ignored the modifier, so I adjusted accordingly.

Initiative for Zedric:
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20 : 18 +1, total 19

Initiative for Quoth:
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20 : 10 +2, total 12

pooka

Imfei takes a step back, preparing her longsword.
I don't need my elf mojo to tell me he's bad news.
rolled in ooc thread, 18

TheTick

Lesser Vargouille - 20
Yiki - 19
Zedric-19
Imfei - 18
Quoth - 12
Taggart - 6

As the creature flies towards you, it opens it's mouth disgustingly wide and lets out a blood-curdling scream.  Yiki, Tagart and Imfei immediately stagger up against the wall and cower (DC12 Fortitude Check to resist, failed), while Zedric and his faithful raven Quoth are disturbed but manage to keep their wits about them (DC12 Fort, success).

Zedric and Quoth can both act, but the rest of you are cowering in fear for 5 rounds (yes, you all rolled 5s).
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Nighthawk

"Gah!" the wizard staggers back, bonking heads with the frantic raven that continues to circle around him erratically.

"Do something!" shouts the bird, which continues to hover somewhat erratically.

"But I... Oh..."

The wizard raises one hand and from his fingertips streaks a missile of energy, veering straight in to the creature.

"Stand still and get over here!" the wizard tries to command his raven to move in between him and the creature.

Magic Missile ... Automatic hit, 1d4 +1 damage:
Rolled 1d4+1 : 2 + 1, total 3

Have Quoth move directly between me and the creature. Beyond that, avoid, avoid, avoid! :P

FIVE rounds?!? Ick...

TheTick

The vargouille screeches in pain as the magic missile strikes, leaving a trailing edge of scorch marks on it's wings, and it redoubles its efforts to attack Zedric.  Quoth flutters and flaps, but ultimately cannot distract the evil creature from it's task.

The rest of the adventurers continue to quiver and quake in fear.

The vargouille will be able to attack next round.  Your friends have 4 rounds left.  Quoth (being tiny) doesn't threaten outside of his square so the monster passes him by.  If you want him to attack, though, that can be done.

Nighthawk

"Do something!" the wizard shouts, starting to get noticeably concerned. "Claw its ears off!"

The raven reluctantly flies claws first in to the creature while Zedric produces a ray of cold from his right hand.

Quoth: Attack with claws, +4 Atk for an earth-shattering 1d2-5 damage...
Attack:
Rolled 1d20+4 : 6 + 4, total 10

Damage:
Rolled 1d2-5 : 2 - 5, total -3

Zedric: Ray of Frost, 1d3 cold damage
That's a ranged touch attack, isn't it? I don't know the modifier... I have +1 ranged, is that it?
Anyway, here's a d20... Attack:
Rolled 1d20 : 13, total 13

Damage:
Rolled 1d3 : 3, total 3

Man, I'm such a one trick pony... I need an extended rest. :P

Nighthawk

And if I get some movement, back the hell away. :)

TheTick

Zedric practically jumps backwards out of the vargouille's claw range, and looses what may go down as the luckiest ray blast of his short adventuring career (hit, DEAD), and the demonic little creature falls dead at the wizard's feet.  He lets out a long sigh, as the rest of the party starts to come to their senses.

Lotofsnow

"By the gods. Much respect to you, friend wizard. That... thing had all of us shaken beyond our wits, but you stood bold before it. I am honored to be among your companions."

TheTick

[DM]If anyone wants to search or do anything else in here, now's the time.[/DM]

pooka

Imfei looks furtively toward the door.

I wonder if the rain is really still so bad.

Lotofsnow

"Come on, Infei. Relax a bit. The scary head thing is gone, and no harm done. We should at least look around a bit before venturing back outdoors."

Yiki smiles at his companions expectantly, but makes no move to check around the room.

My Search skill sucks. If someone else wants to search though, roll 1d20 plus their Search skill modifier