Section 1 - Shelter from the Storm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least one hundred feet on each side. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor.

Each adventurer carefully and quietly steps into the room, eyes checking each corner for hidden dangers...and each one jumps near out of their skin when the door slams shut behind them.  The rain is kept out, at least, though the whole room shakes when the thunder and lightning strikes.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

Spoiler: ShowHide
Going to go ahead and move things along, since you guys don't have any rogues to investigate those doors.

The sound of hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, this room seems stable enough for the most part. Even when the thunder seems to shake the very ground, not so much as a mote of dust filters down from the ceiling. The doors leading into the tor, however, do show signs of weakness, seeming to tremble with every thunderclap. Suddenly, in conjunction with a particularly loud thunderclap...

...all three doors break open at once, falling from their doorways into the room with a great cacophony. Seconds later, the sounds of squeaking fill the air as a pack of rats swarms in from the largest doorway.

COMBAT!  Everyone needs to roll their initiative (preferably in the OOC thread, click the dice button, type 1d20, adding or subtracting your initiative modifier as needed.  Taggart's would be 1d20+2 as an example.

Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

Acting order:

Rat 1
Rat 2
Rat 3

Quoth
Rat 4
Taggart
Rat 5
Rat 6
Rat 7
Yiki
Rat 8
Zedric
Imfei

The first 3 rats have moved.  Taggart is up next, but if others wish to say what they want to do, have at it.

The rats boil forth angrily from the doorway.  You have only enough time to notice the sharp teeth as they dart towards you.

Sputnik314

Taggart slashes at rat 1
Rolled 1d20+2 : 6 + 2, total 8

TheTick

Taggart moves towards the first rat, and swings deftly, but the rat is too quick. (miss)

Just realized I need to hear from Nighthawk about Quoth, and then Yiki.

Nighthawk

"Rats! Rats! There are rats! Lots of them!" the bird begins to flap his wings wildly and circle around Zedric's head.

"We see them already... Calm down, will you?"

Not a whole lot the bird can do offensively I don't think, so put him wherever for now. Need to read the rules some more to see what good he is. :P

TheTick

Rats 4, 5 and 6 all advance forward and start gaining on the first three (4 and 5 on either end, 6 just behind).  The rest of you can act.

Lotofsnow

Yiki roars and swings a two-handed chop at the closest rat.

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+5 : 4 + 5, total 9
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d8+6 : 1 + 6, total 7

Tagart's attack should probably have been +4, not +2 as he rolled above. Not sure that it would matter though.

Edit: All sorts of terrible rolls going on.

Also annoying that it says I tampered with the dice roll when I simply edited my spoiler.

Nighthawk

"I hate these things..." Zedric says as he steps up alongside the fighters. He raises his hands and spews forth a wave of elemental fire. "Filthy rodents... BURN!"

Move: Advance to an appropriate spot.
Standard: Burning Hands... 15' cone, 1d4 fire damage, DC 15 Reflex save for half damage.
I'll leave it to your judgment how many get affected - I'm assuming I don't get all of them in the blast - but I will aim for as many as I can. I will not get adjacent to any if I can avoid it, and I will most definitely not incinerate any allies.

TheTick

Yiki steps into a wicked swing at one of the rats, but his sword whistles just wide.  (miss)  Just then, a searing heat seems the emanate from somewhere to his right, as flames leap from Zedric's fingers and into a group of rats, finally succeeding in cutting down their numbers. (3 hits, 2 dead)

Rat 1
Rat 2 (hurt)
Rat 3
Quoth
Rat 4
Taggart

Rat 5
Rat 6

Rat 7
Yiki
Rat 8
Zedric

Imfei

We just need an action from Imfei (which I image will be 'walk up to a rat and swing' but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. :D

pooka

Imfei gets out her mace and starts swinging
I don't really want to hurt you, I don't really want to make you cry...
Rolled 1d6+3 : 5 + 3, total 8

TheTick

The Elvish Paladin's mace absolutely crushes one of the rats, sending the carcass rolling several feet away. (hit!) The rat that Taggart whiffed on attempts to bite him, but he dodges it. (miss)

On to round two:
Rat 1
Rat 2
Rat 3

Quoth
Rat 4
Taggart
Rat 5
Rat 6
Rat 7
Yiki
Rat 8
Zedric
Imfei

Red means dead, yellow has already acted.  Actions!

Lotofsnow

Yiki grunts in frustration at his initial miss.

"Stop moving around, stupid rats!"

He tears a smaller handaxe from the leather straps that secure it to his hip. The barbarian's battleaxe blade gleams wickedly as it arcs a lethal swing toward the rat in front of him. The handaxe cuts just after, smaller but still deadly.

Battleaxe:
Rolled 1d20+3 : 11 + 3, total 14

Rolled 1d8+4 : 3 + 4, total 7

Handaxe:
Rolled 1d20+3 : 18 + 3, total 21

Rolled 1d6+2 : 6 + 2, total 8

TheTick

Before Yiki's attacks can connect, the rat directly in front of him jumps up and bites his arm, leaving a ragged gash. (hit, -1hp)

[DM]Pausing here for Taggart's action, just in case he invalidates one of Yiki's attacks[/DM]

Sputnik314

Taggart swings his sword across the ground in attempt to hit all the rats (if it is an illegal move then taggart tries to step on rat 1)
Rolled 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18