[3.5E] A short adventure to get things rolling

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

Looking to try my hand at DMing a short adventure for a party of 4 (maybe 5) players, using a pre-made module, most likely the official ones from Wizards unless I come across something really cool before them.  If anyone is interested, post here.  Oh:  Level 1 characters, sticking to the core books unless you really really have something you just have to try from something else.  Let's see what happens!
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Nighthawk

I forgot I had an account on this forum!

If you have trouble filling up the group, I'd be willing to join in.

And if there's anything you need, do let me know. I see you got integrated die rolling already, which is nice. :)

Lotofsnow

Sign me up. I have no preference on edition. 3.5, 4e, 5e. Your pick.

TheTick

Yeah, I wanted to play around with dice rollers.  May or may not be the only reason I updated to SMF.  Heh.

And welcome to the new blood. :D
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Scott R

:)   If the adventure is Keep on the Shadowfell, alas!  I know it too well to play it honestly.

Otherwise, I might be interested.  It depends on how the Karantia game at sakeriver shakes out.  When are you looking to start, Tick?

pooka

Would you guys be interested in teaching me and my son how to play?  What books should we acquire?

TheTick

Scott:  No, not that one, though you are on the right track.  I actually like Wreck Ashore and A Dark and Stormy Knight better for 3.5E level 1 adventures, reading them through.  Seems easy to lead from one to the next if need be also.

Probably starting late next week.  I have a few special twists I want to prep.  :D

pooka, that would be fine!  Honestly, while you are giving it a try, you can get by with the rules and stuff in the online SRD.  If you want to buy books, it gets trickier.  The version I'm going for here is already 'obsolete', and Wizards just announced a new version is forthcoming.  Still, the 3.5E Player's Handbook is what you want for this game.

pooka

We put in a membership for Sputnik but I guess it's still pending.

TheTick

TheTick

So far we have pooka, Sputnik314 - welcome, by the way! - and lotofsnow.  If either Nighthawk or Scott want to take a run at it, I think we'll be set.  These are level 1 characters as I mentioned before, and if you need help filling out the character sheet, let us know.  The plain old sheet is available here, though there are options on the web elsewhere.  There are some templates on Google Docs for instance.

Lotofsnow

The Tick, would you prefer we stick with stuff only in the SRD? How would you like our ability scores created? Rolled? Point buy?

TheTick

I'd say, keep it core-ish.  I have access to most books via some buddies at work, but let's keep it simple for now.  If there is something you just have to try, though, let me know and I'll see if I can get it.

Excellent question on the stats, hmm.  I think 32 point buy is pretty fair.

Nighthawk

See? I gotta remember that this form exists and add it to my long list of "sites I visit regularly".

It's been a long time since I consistantly play 3.5e, and my only recent game (Kalevan over at Sake) has been slow enough and not very mechanical for my inexperience to show.

I'll stand aside if Scott wants in.

Scott R

I'm going to pass, I'm afraid, in the hopes that Karantia will pick up speed. 

Tick, have you considered announcing this on Sake?  You might get more interested folks there...

TheTick

I might - I always feel a bit uncomfortable cross-posting there as I don't want to be seen as poaching users. ;)  Though if Nighthawk will go, I think we are set (Lotofsnow, pooka, Sputnik314, Nighthawk).  Once I see how things roll here, we can start up some other games and maybe get some more participants.