Crypt of the Everflame - OOC

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTick

Excellent work, everyone!  I'll get an official thread to kick things off when I'm not awake in the middle of the night.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

A helpful recap so you know what's going on:

*  Every year, someone takes a lamp to Kassen's tomb to light it from the eternal flame there, a symbolic gesture to keep the town safe throughout the winter.
*  When there are enough young people coming of age, they are sent to retrieve the flame as a group.  Several townsfolk (including the wizard, Holgast) left days ago to "prepare" the way and the crypt.  This is known to you as simple traps and illusions.
*  The children in the town like to tell stories of previous parties dying horrible deaths but your mentors assure you that no one has been seriously hurt in decades.
*  The In Character thread will be up shortly.  The four of you will be heading to the town square just before noon on the 4th of Neth, the day that Kassen and his men left to find the mercenary Asar's camp, to stop his former friend's attacks on the town.  You can talk to one another for a bit before the ceremony begins.
Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

TheTick

Another housekeeping tip - the forum has a dice roller, accessed via the button that looks like a d6 above.  This page will tell you some of the things you can do with the rolls (the most handy being the ability to label your rolls with {Names} so you can keep track of them).  Example:

Initiative 1d20+4 : 1 + 4, total 5
Attack Roll 1d20+2 : 3 + 2, total 5
Damage 1d6+3 : 2 + 3, total 5

TheTick

Also, you can put multiple rolls within one set of the Roll tags, like I did above.That looks like this:
[blockquote]Initiative 1d20+4 : 15 + 4, total 19
Attack Roll 1d20+2 : 2 + 2, total 4
Damage 1d6+3 : 1 + 3, total 4[/blockquote]

Initiative 1d20+4 : 8 + 4, total 12
Attack Roll 1d20+2 : 13 + 2, total 15
Damage 1d6+3 : 6 + 3, total 9

That can make it easy to keep things neat, especially once you have multiple attacks:
Attack Roll - Main Hand 1d20+4 : 16 + 4, total 20
Damage 1d6+3 : 2 + 3, total 5

Attack Roll - Off Hand 1d20+2 : 18 + 2, total 20
Damage 1d6+3 : 6 + 3, total 9

TheTick

Okay, so the code block didn't show you what I typed but hopefully you get the idea.  Also, the forum will tell me if you edit your post once the dice have rolled, so if you typo a roll, just do it again in a new post.

Scott R

Rolled 1d20 : 9, total 9

Hope I crit...

Scott R

I wonder how the roll dice function works with the post preview function...

Rolled 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20

:tests:

Well, it works, but if you edit a post and click preview again, it rolls it again.  I was hoping it would retain the previous results so you could write up an attempted action, preview the post with a roll, then write up the success/failure as revealed in the preview.

Scott R

Quote"Don't I know you? You've done work for some of the merchants a bit all over the place. I'm sure I've seen you before...Ah! Sandy, isn't it?"

"That's right," Sandy says.  "I'm an...agent, I suppose.  I find suppliers around Nirmathas that sell things that people in Kessen might want, and connect them to the merchants here.  I also work with Father Prasst as an apprentice illuminator."

"Well there's interesting and then there's interesting, Mr. Tippenroe..."

Sandy gets right to the point, but keeps his voice down.  "'Interesting' as in distilled spirits.  My...um...partner and I have worked out an arrangement with some of the logging camps wherein we supply them with whiskey, and they supply us with gold.  Currently, we've only got two camps, but there's a potential for many, many more..."

He lays out the details, including the volume and frequency of their usual deliveries, but withholds the problems with their current supplier.

TheTick

Yes, there are definitely limitations - if you want to write up a dramatic telling of your actions, you could always roll it here then write it up once I let you know if it's successful or not.  Otherwise, be creative in the attempt  (Sandy confidently aims the crossbow at the charging pirate, exhales, and fires) and I'll be creative in the result (The bolt finds a weak spot in the pirate's cheap leathers and pierces his chest.  He stumbles and falls to his knees, coughing blood, before collapsing).

Rakeesh

Sandy gets right to the point, but keeps his voice down.  "'Interesting' as in distilled spirits.  My...um...partner and I have worked out an arrangement with some of the logging camps wherein we supply them with whiskey, and they supply us with gold.  Currently, we've only got two camps, but there's a potential for many, many more..."

He lays out the details, including the volume and frequency of their usual deliveries, but withholds the problems with their current supplier.

'Ah,' Kirdo thought to himself with a little disappointment. For a moment he'd thought-but no, working on really interesting alchemical creations was...unwise...with a new and untested partner, and besides, that sort of thing took coin, and though the gnome was on his way to a steady and reliable income, it hadn't come easily. He was very distractable by his own work, which ended up days or weeks later with no funds to speak of. Something reliable would be...well, reliable, and brewing came easily to him. It's a little odd that Mr. Tippenroe seems determined to almost whisper, and peculiar as well that this particular market hadn't been snapped up already. Kirdo knew humans well enough to know that lumberjacks wouldn't go long without something to warm their bellies and dull their aches in the forest.

"Well I can certainly manage that," he acknowledged after hearing Tippenroe's terms. "And I've got some wares that might serve to whet further appetites right now, as a matter of fact. Will I be dealing with you, or should we speak with your partner as well?" he asked, unwilling to go much further without some certainty that any agreement they made would be valid.

Scott R

"I'm happy to introduce you," Sandy says, "and he will want samples anyway. Why don't we meet at Deegle's Fountain tonight?"

do you want to hand wave the rest? From my POV, i think Sandy would be thrilled to be acquainted with Kirdo. He's also happy to be able to supply a good product to customers who he previously disappointed. And happy to be making some coin.
[/quote]

Rakeesh

That sounds fine to me. For his part, Kirdo is happy to do some networking so to speak. The pair of them seem to have hungry to learn in common with one another, and Kirdo will talk well past ordinary endurance on his obsessions.

Scott R

For his part, Sandy practically devours everything Kirdo says, rapt with attention.

Rakeesh

Quote from: Scott R on January 22, 2018, 12:01:27 PM
For his part, Sandy practically devours everything Kirdo says, rapt with attention.

It goes both ways, though-Kirdo has a working interest in things like illumination-a good illustration being very important sometimes in alchemy. And he would share all kinds of information, though he would be a bit cagier on the stuff other people can drink safely.

Nighthawk

I was going to suggest my dice roller (which, to my surprise, is still getting used A LOT), but that'll work.

Will post later tonight when I'm done with work.