Be warned: Spoilers, I have them.
I’ve been struggling with how to approach reviewing The Avengers. I mean, I’m a comic guy from way back, but not an obsessive one. Iron Man is one of my favorites, and I’m not sure I can be entirely impartial. Had I stayed up last night (got home at 1:30am) and wrote this, my post would be peppered with ‘FUCK YEAH AVENGERS WOOOOO’ and stuff like that. By this time, you’ve read a bunch of other reviews and know pretty much what you are getting – but I have to write something! I thought Joss and the rest handled so many egos perfectly. Just about everybody had a great line or three that left people guffawing. As anyone that’s watched Firefly knows, Joss has excellent comic timing, and a way with having the unexpected happen that only amps it up. This is funnier than you are expecting, yes, even if you like the jokes in the trailers. There’s a few spots of real emotion, though they were kept a bit to the sideline so that the movie would keep moving (one particular scene with Agent Carter and Steve Rogers was cut as it ‘brought the movie to a halt’).
- Stark referencing “life model decoys” from the comics
- Captain America’s “There’s only one God, ma’am…” line
- “Puny God” and the absolute ass-kicking Loki received just before it
- Rogers/Cap paying up the $10 (total Joss move right there)
- “Hulk…smash” *grin*
- “He’s adopted”
- Banner on Loki: “That guy’s brain is a bag full of cats. You can smell crazy on him.”
- Tony’s speech to Loki at the final battle. “You’re missing the point. There’s no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top…”
If there’s one bit that didn’t work, it was Stark with Pepper at the beginning. Could’ve used som polishing, and possibly Pepper should’ve worn some pants. Not that I don’t mind the fan-service daisy dukes there, but it distracted from them as a couple.
Minor quibble, though. I’ll be seeing this again on Wednesday, and probably again once it reaches the second-run theater, or maybe at the drive-in if there’s something good paired with it. Highly recommended for all except the little ones.